Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude hydraulic fluid capacity

Anyone know what the total capacity of a Solitude's hydraulic system is? I have a leak in the under belly somewhere. It may be obvious once I drop the coroplast but I'm gonna add some dye to the system prior to doing that to make sure I find it. I only want to do it once!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Anyone know what the total capacity of a Solitude's hydraulic system is? I have a leak in the under belly somewhere. It may be obvious once I drop the coroplast but I'm gonna add some dye to the system prior to doing that to make sure I find it. I only want to do it once!
    To me, the easiest way to say whether or not the hydraulic fluid is full is to retract all hydraulically operated slides and to raise all of the hydraulic levellers. When that is done, you should see that the fluid level on the reservoir tank is at the "full" mark. Anything less than that should show you exactly how much additional fluid/dye to add to the system.....at least that is how it works on my Momentum.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    To me, the easiest way to say whether or not the hydraulic fluid is full is to retract all hydraulically operated slides and to raise all of the hydraulic levellers. When that is done, you should see that the fluid level on the reservoir tank is at the "full" mark. Anything less than that should show you exactly how much additional fluid/dye to add to the system.....at least that is how it works on my Momentum.
    I not worried about topping off, the amount of dye needed is based on the amount of fluid its being added too. I can overdue some its not that critical, just trying to get an idea on total capacity. The ratio is 1 oz per 8 gallons.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Solitude manual says the reservoir holds approximately 2 quarts. With everything retracted, there should be minimal fluid volume in the lines.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    My Solitude manual says the reservoir holds approximately 2 quarts. With everything retracted, there should be minimal fluid volume in the lines.

Rob
    I'm not an engineer so I may not have it right on how it works but I thought the way a Hydraulic system worked was as the ram is extending fluid is pushed in behind it. When retracting fluid is pushed into the other side push the ram back. So shouldn't the fluid in the system for the most part just change places? I realize it probably takes less fluid to retract, especially on the jacks which accounts for the reservoir level changes but there still should be a significant amount of fluid in the system

Am I missing something?
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an engineer so I may not have it right on how it works but I thought the way a Hydraulic system worked was as the ram is extending fluid is pushed in behind it. When retracting fluid is pushed into the other side push the ram back. So shouldn't the fluid in the system for the most part just change places? I realize it probably takes less fluid to retract, especially on the jacks which accounts for the reservoir level changes but there still should be a significant amount of fluid in the system

Am I missing something?
    I'm not an engineer, either. All I can say is that, when the slides and landing gear are all retracted, the reservoir is full. When everything is extended, the level in the reservoir is down near the "Add" level marker.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I missing something?
    You are missing the volume displaced by the piston rod. When the piston is fully retracted, the rod will take up some of the internal volume. When fully extended, there is no rod inside the cylinder so there is more room for fluid. The difference in volume is why there is the reservoir and the change in fluid level.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the slides and levelers retracted there is still 2000 psi hydraulic pressure holding the levelers up and slides in.. any leak in one system or the other ( they are isolated ) from each other with their own extend/ return lines and you will displace fluid wherever the leak is occurring at

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I found when we had a leak on our Solitude. We replaced all orange hydraulic lines because three of them were either leaking or about to leak. The repair person said that in his experience only the orange lines leak. Attachment 33664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200627_084303.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	33665

2018 Solitude 377MBS #J1109394
    2017 Chevy Silverado Duramax