Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route to Banff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Route to Banff

The route I'm planning to Banff runs up route 93 out of Montana. At Radium Hot Springs, RV Trip Wizard wants me to continue north on route 95 instead of staying with route 93. Since the recommended route adds an hour or more to the trip, I'm wondering if anyone knows why route 93 from Radium Hot Springs to Castle Junction would not be appropriate. I'm in a Ram 3500 pulling a 315 RLTS.

TIA.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
    The route I'm planning to Banff runs up route 93 out of Montana. At Radium Hot Springs, RV Trip Wizard wants me to continue north on route 95 instead of staying with route 93. Since the recommended route adds an hour or more to the trip, I'm wondering if anyone knows why route 93 from Radium Hot Springs to Castle Junction would not be appropriate. I'm in a Ram 3500 pulling a 315 RLTS.

TIA.
    We traveled that area when on our Fantasy RV caravan. We went up Route 93 from Radium Hot Springs to Castle Junction. We had no issues. This was in 2018.

Now, we are a fifth wheel with a total length of 45 feet. I found your rig and my husband said there might be a length restriction on some roads. Maybe that's why RV trip wizard is routing you the other way. Or there's planned road work. Who knows?

Another thought - is RV Trip Wizard routing you NOW on this trip? It's possible that the road could be closed due to snow. EDIT- OK, my husband found road conditions report on 93 - there's currently a "falling rock" alert there until May 1.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 04-02-2020 at 11:20 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure Banff and all parks are closed due to virus.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
    They are. I'm planning for a trip that will occur later this year - enough so that I'm confident that the parks will be reopened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have traveled that route many a time and there are a few hard pulls but you should be able to make do with your rig. There shouldn't be any issues with Rocks or snow and if there was the road would be closed. The only reason I would think an alternative route is being suggested is construction, which has a lot planned for that road this year. May I suggest checking https://drivebc.ca/ for the best updates.
    Additionally check Parks Canada site for National park closures and opening dates. Other sites to explore is Canada/US border crossing restrictions.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
    We have reservations at Banff and Jasper beginning 5/1. We received an email from Canadian Parks indicating all parks are closed until 4/30 and refunds will be given, of course that could change. Also the Canadian/US border is closed and when it will be opened was not given.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have personally driven all those routes in the last few years with our previous trailer, an impact 38 ft toyhauler. There should be no restrictions on length for those routes. There may be as mentioned construction or other warnings that may have your program recommending one route over the other. Most of the way on either route will be only 2 lane highway with the odd passing lanes scattered. Some of the hills in South East B.C. can be pretty steep and long as well.

Even with the park closures most of the highways through the parks should remain open, but if the parks themselves are not open then you most likely wont be able to stop for sight seeing/camping.

For B.C. highwayma conditions check this link https://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/. It is quite well updated and has some highway cameras which can give you insight into road conditions, particularly in mountain passes where the weather can be interesting at times. Alberta probably has a similar road condition site but I have never checked it, a search might locate it.

Some great scenery out and about those parts, hopefully you get a chance to make your trip.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I was also looking at Banff area for late summer or next year.
    My solution was to switch to standard routing from RV mode. That fixed some of it, but not all.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Born in Radium, either way not a problem, going via Golden an hour longer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie 1799 View Post
    Born in Radium, either way not a problem, going via Golden an hour longer.
    Thanks! Is either route more "scenic", or is there some other reason (other than time) to choose one over the other?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast