Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gaflick,

Which alarm did you purchase from Home Depot. I look ed at several and would like to have the piece of mind also.
    Benny and Valinda w/ Dakota (canine)
    2016 Momentium 350M
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 3500 DRW 8' bed 6.6 Duramax w Allison
    B&W Companion RVK3500 20K FW
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the unit is a Honeywell. It has a small 3"x4" box, powered by a 9 volt battery, that has a connection like the old telephone cords that the sensor cable plugs into.
    I used some of the Velcro that has the tape backing to attach to the back. I then put the box on the carpeted wall at the top of the wall in the storage area and ran the cord over the top. There is plenty of cable leading to the sensor end to reach all of the areas at risk. There is about 60 inches of the cable that is the sensor. It also allows easy access to the box to put in new batteries. When it activates it is quite loud. I don't know how long it continues because we were at the camper both times it activated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased two of "The Watchdog" water alerts units from Home Depot. they were about $12 each.
    I put my Solitude in the shop to have the A/C Andrew the brakes checked before leaving for a three month trip to the keys. They informed me that my belly flooring had rotted out and that the Anderson valve unit had a leak where the brass and the plastic tee connected. It was a slow drip that ran down the Kantleak unit to where it penetrates the floor and was absorbed by the flooring. As a result, no visible water was every seen in the belly or under the unit. They estimated this had been happening for over a year or two.
    It cost about $1700 to get the floor repaired and take the unit apart and fix. We tried the brass tee as was shown in the forum, but the tee made the Anderson valve two wide to fit back into the plastic bracket, so we just used flexible Pipe Sealant to fix it. So far so good.
    i wish I had followed the posts on this forum more, because they also found that the grease seals had leaked, and ruined the brakes.
    I will say that it seems all the issues mentioned on here have shown up on my unit.
    - Three blown tires ---Westlake China Tires-- replaced with Hartland G -rated tires, 14 ply last week
    - Seats have the vinyl peeling off them, warranty repair denied by GD before warranty ran out, even though the couch wasn't ever sat on
    -Leaking water as mentioned above
    -Led lights shake out every trip, have to put them back in when parked
    -Leaking seals on axles

After spending $4500+ last week to repair items and add 5 G-Rated tires, I am about to become one of people who read this form daily.
    i wish GD would send out advisory notes to owners of know issues, so that we could take a more proactive approach to maintenance issues, rather us us trying to find forum posts after we have the issue, to see how others handled it. In closing, I do want to thank all of you that have posted some excellent info and pics on how to take care of items on here.
    My unit is a 2014 369RL.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use two of the Honeywell sensors described by gaflick. The only difference is that I power them from trailer 12V so they will not go off if the trailer is in storage with main batteries shut off. See post #5 on this thread. http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ht=Water+alarm

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob where did you install the sensors on your water monitors?
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger atleast you have used yours !! mine has not left my driveway yet and its seen all kinds of problems !!! So far Ive spent more on repairs of my brand new camper than I spent on my last camper the entire time I owned it ...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Rob where did you install the sensors on your water monitors?
    Jim - I ran one sensor cable through an existing hole in the flooring, down to where it lies on the coroplast. This sensor will sometimes go off after driving in the rain . . . telling me that some small amount of water gets in there that way. The second sensor cable runs across under the Kantleak panel and back around the base of the water pump. There are clips to hold the sensor cables in place and moisture anywhere along the cable will trigger the alarm.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Starnes View Post
    I just purchased two of "The Watchdog" water alerts units from Home Depot. they were about $12 each.
    I put my Solitude in the shop to have the A/C Andrew the brakes checked before leaving for a three month trip to the keys. They informed me that my belly flooring had rotted out and that the Anderson valve unit had a leak where the brass and the plastic tee connected. It was a slow drip that ran down the Kantleak unit to where it penetrates the floor and was absorbed by the flooring. As a result, no visible water was every seen in the belly or under the unit. They estimated this had been happening for over a year or two.
    It cost about $1700 to get the floor repaired and take the unit apart and fix. We tried the brass tee as was shown in the forum, but the tee made the Anderson valve two wide to fit back into the plastic bracket, so we just used flexible Pipe Sealant to fix it. So far so good.
    i wish I had followed the posts on this forum more, because they also found that the grease seals had leaked, and ruined the brakes.
    I will say that it seems all the issues mentioned on here have shown up on my unit.
    - Three blown tires ---Westlake China Tires-- replaced with Hartland G -rated tires, 14 ply last week
    - Seats have the vinyl peeling off them, warranty repair denied by GD before warranty ran out, even though the couch wasn't ever sat on
    -Leaking water as mentioned above
    -Led lights shake out every trip, have to put them back in when parked
    -Leaking seals on axles

After spending $4500+ last week to repair items and add 5 G-Rated tires, I am about to become one of people who read this form daily.
    i wish GD would send out advisory notes to owners of know issues, so that we could take a more proactive approach to maintenance issues, rather us us trying to find forum posts after we have the issue, to see how others handled it. In closing, I do want to thank all of you that have posted some excellent info and pics on how to take care of items on here.
    My unit is a 2014 369RL.
    Roger

Are you saying you had the sensors installed and they never sounded because the leak was so small?
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I purchased them after the leak was found, and I am installing them. On a three month trip to the Keys, and will install when I arrive there. Just finished all the repairs the end of last week.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Starnes View Post

My unit is a 2014 369RL.

Comes with experience of owning these things but I agree with you. They won't send out a newsletter for legal reasons with defects, although that could be something that would be possible here with the user base.

Good thing is once you've ridden on the rodeo a time or few with RV's you learn to read read read as many owner and RV forums as you can. Lots of redundant content but then you find a gem like this place and learn a ton about potential issues. We did the same with all the units we've owned and it has saved us a lot of headache. It has also saved us from buying brands that are not as well constructed.

We've built brand new homes and have had issues. Some of them major. No surprise that an RV that drives down the road at 60 or 70mph will also have issues. Fortunately most of the GD issues are minor and some preventive insurance like these alarms can help catch problems before they start. Throwing down a few of these where the water lines intersect at fittings or by the black and grey tank fittings can save lots of $$$$ and / or some really stinky repair work.

What a great idea folks, thank you for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12