Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 FORD F-150 Lightning.

Hi,
    Just saw the "specs" of the electric f150 They say it can tow 10000lbs and has a cargo capacity of 2000lbs. I almost put a deposit on one right away! But humm... Not sure how it would handle an Imagine 2670MK. Numbers look like it might work.

Not to sure how many times I'd need to recharge. Any thoughts?

Eric

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the ext. range battery my guess is you'll get maybe 150 miles towing that trailer. Very little real world towing numbers out there for all elec. Only one I saw was a model x pulling a boat and I believe they said they lost about 60% of the range but I could be mistaken. But the boat was much lighter than that trailer with a much smaller wind profile.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m pulling for Ford this works out.

There are concerns about charging times (how long), where to charge while towing (this is not a Tesla so it will need a bigger area for truck & trailer to charge) and how much towing will reduce the stated range.

I like the looks of it and the ‘frunk‘ storage area but not a fan of a 5.5’ bed. Seems like Ford is swinging for the fences with full EV but I wonder if a hybrid version might have been more practical at this point?
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eveilleu View Post
    Hi,
    Just saw the "specs" of the electric f150 They say it can tow 10000lbs and has a cargo capacity of 2000lbs. I almost put a deposit on one right away! But humm... Not sure how it would handle an Imagine 2670MK. Numbers look like it might work.

Eric
    That Pro Trailer Hitch Assist takes all the fun out of hitching up by yourself: backing up, getting out, getting back in, backing to the left 2", getting back out, raising the coupler, getting back in, backing up 1" more, getting out, getting back in, pulling forward 1/2".... I mean, not that I have ever done that.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 05-25-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eveilleu View Post
    Hi,

Eric
    From the information I saw from Ford, that model is available to commercial buyers only.

As for distance, I would be surprised if you get 1/3 the advertised distance while towing.

The electric vehicles are great for "around town", but truly suck for distance driving. Keep in mind that there are not all that many charging stations outside of the cities and they charge anywhere from $0.04-$0.29 per minute for charging; depending on the charging station type. Most typically will take between 60-120 minutes to fully charge an EV.

Then what happens when you run out of juice and not near a charging station? Time to break out the inverter/generator? I couldn't tell you as I've not done any research on charging an EV with one.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

EDIT: Okay, curiosity kill the the MoonShadow... I looked it up, and charging and EV by an inverter/generator is possible, but not recommended as, according to current EV manufacture's information, it will void the warranty. See: https://www.diy-experts.net/charge-ev/
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 05-25-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tigger1 Ford already released the hybrid, it does seriously good mpg for a pickup (when not towing). It is also the most powerful F150 (until the lightning is out). You’re correct, it’s the better option for towing any distance.

@MoonShadow_1911 Ford has said the ‘commercial’ version IS available to consumers. They are also building a full line of consumer geared lightning F150s, XLT to Platinum, just like the gas trucks. Notably, their electric pricing is right in line with a 4wd CC gas powered F150 - so you can pretty much pick the truck that works best for you. Could buy my exact truck, but electric, for a sticker price almost exactly the same as mine was.

@eveilleu An electric anything is not yet a good candidate for towing a travel trailer, unless your longest trip is <100 miles. The aerodynamic load is simply too high with a TT. I would also love the lightning, and have my eye on the commercial one because I HATE enormous touchscreen controls for everything, and the commercial comes with the ‘small’ 12in screen and actual buttons for the climate controls. BUT, it’s a tough sell since there is no world in which it replaces my gas truck for the trips with the TT that we do. They will get there. In the meantime, for the 90% of owners that don’t tow like us, there is a legitimate electric option available with price parity to a gas truck. That’s a huge deal.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 05-25-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main car is an electric golf and i love the thing. It's the perfect commute car... well, back when my office was not just down the stairs...

Usually range is not an issue since I drive around the house of just do a 15 min super charge to get 150km worth of autonomy. And thinking back i think only 1 spot would have been usable with a tailor. Yeah towing a TT for a road trip is not the target audience here.

Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    @Tigger1 Ford already released the hybrid, it does seriously good mpg for a pickup (when not towing). It is also the most powerful F150 (until the lightning is out). You’re correct, it’s the better option for towing any distance.

@MoonShadow_1911 Ford has said the ‘commercial’ version IS available to consumers. They are also building a full line of consumer geared lightning F150s, XLT to Platinum, just like the gas trucks. Notably, their electric pricing is right in line with a 4wd CC gas powered F150 - so you can pretty much pick the truck that works best for you. Could buy my exact truck, but electric, for a sticker price almost exactly the same as mine was.

@eveilleu An electric anything is not yet a good candidate for towing a travel trailer, unless your longest trip is <100 miles. The aerodynamic load is simply too high with a TT. I would also love the lightning, and have my eye on the commercial one because I HATE enormous touchscreen controls for everything, and the commercial comes with the ‘small’ 12in screen and actual buttons for the climate controls. BUT, it’s a tough sell since there is no world in which it replaces my gas truck for the trips with the TT that we do. They will get there. In the meantime, for the 90% of owners that don’t tow like us, there is a legitimate electric option available with price parity to a gas truck. That’s a huge deal.
    See this article: https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...h-power-frunk/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MoonShadow_1911 Not sure what I’m looking for, but pretty good article, and a nice addition to the thread.

The article mentions they have already taken over 20,000 preorders, and offer XLT, Lariat, and Platinum to consumers, as well as a base version. I know a lot of people (myself included) questioned if the base version was available outside of fleet orders. Ford confirmed it is.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...egular-buyers/

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f15...f150-lightning
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 05-25-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    @MoonShadow_1911 Not sure what I’m looking for, but pretty good article, and a nice edition to the thread.

The article mentions they have already taken over 20,000 preorders, and offer XLT, Lariat, and Platinum to consumers, as well as a base version. I know a lot of people (myself included) questioned if the base version was available outside of fleet orders. Ford confirmed it is.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...egular-buyers/

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f15...f150-lightning
    Okay, no problem. I hadn't read any other articles on it, right now for me it's a novel idea. Just not for me, yet. To get be interested in buying one, it needs to have a range of 400-600 miles while towing a big load with a CCC on par with a F450 to get me interested, and to be able to charge it to full in about 20-30 minutes.

New battery technology will be needed to do that though. For now, I'll stick with my diesel F350.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast