User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado Hwy 550

Anyone ever towed on Hwy 550 in Colorado from Grand Junction to Durango? Was thinking of it but not sure about roads/climbs/decends.
    Brian and Lori
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took the drive between Durango and Ouray.... our truck only. That made me nervous. I cannot answer about towing, although we did see many RVs and delivery trucks doing it.

Take a look at this, it helped me see what parts of the road looked like.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ghway-usa.html

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for the info. Don't think the wife would go for that one.
    Brian and Lori
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going over Red Mountain Pass -- always an adventure and comes with a real pucker factor. I've done it a number of times in a car, once in a buss and once towing a 5er. I avoid it when towing if I can. Go slow, watch your heat gage going up and gear down going down. It is a beautiful drive and one you will remember.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've been over that road many times. Most of my trips were on a motorcycle. I would not want to pull a trailer over it, especially a long one. It's better than it
    used to be but still many curves and climbs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did it a couple of years ago. The hills didn't really affect us (RAM3500 longbed towing 40' 14k# 5er). My wife reminds me that it was the sharp turns with the mountain walls right against the edge of the road that rattled me. I was very busy watching my passenger side to ensure I stayed in the lane and not hit the very close protruding mountain on the passenger side while she was watching ahead. On the way back it was snowing and we took a more western route with less aggressive ascent/decent and curves.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideblue51 View Post
    Anyone ever towed on Hwy 550 in Colorado from Grand Junction to Durango? Was thinking of it but not sure about roads/climbs/decends.
    I've driven this road countless times over the years and consider it one of the most beautiful drives one can make as longer as you are patient and not afraid of heights. As others have mentioned, you will need to manage your speeds carefully and most important be certain to use excellent breaking skills on the descents.

I don't know what your tow vehicle is. If you have the "tow" feature and an engine break you will want to use both to manage the pull up and descend down.

I have pulled our 337RLS over vail pass, berthed pass and monarch pass but not red mountain. Not because I didn't want to. Simply because we usually stay at Ridgeway State Park and don't need to pull our rig to Durango. All these passes require the same discipline - manage speed and pull off when safe to do so to allow cars to go around as needed.

18 wheelers make this drive all the time and it is the preferred route for delivery service between Grand Junction and Durango. The alternate route is considerably out of the way and farther and requires you to turn off at Ridgeway to go through Telluride.

Take your time and be certain to stop at the visitors station in Silverton for a rest. Their parking lot is large and easy to enter and exit.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideblue51 View Post
    I have towed over it many times - no sweat if you go slow, pay attention to the speed and grade signs. Its narrow and slow - but actually relatively safe. Semis take it all the time.

OR - take the bypass over Lizard Head From Durango 160 west to Mancos, then 184 to Deloris, then 145 to the junction of 62 and then to Ridgway and 550 north again . All good towable road. Ridgeway state park is good. Good fishing too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a fantastic, beautiful road. The northern leg from Montrose to Ouray is pretty and easy to drive. From Ouray south it's a motorcycle rider / sports car driver fantasy -- when the traffic is light. It's NOT great for a big rig / wide RV. But if you drive nice and slow thru the narrows, switchbacks and curves, its safe. And I suggest pulling over every so often to let people by.

Bottom line, I would try to avoid 550 south of Ouray unless you are headed to a destination that's alongside it, like if you are camping or skiing in Silverton, you can't avoid Rt 550.

And if you love the first three switchbacks leaving Ouray southbound, you will love the rest of the road to Durango.
    Last edited by Dadeo6472; 09-16-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove from Ouray to Durango at 11PM in a blinding snow storm. It was interesting to say the least. I'm glad the tail lights ahead of me stayed on the read.It can be done safely, but it's not for the faint of heart.
    I personally would not doit with a long trailer.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast