User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loud clicking noise from somewhere near the axles when backing up

I can hear a loud clicking noise from somewhere near the axles when backing up. It's cyclic and based on the speed I'm backing up at, but it does not seem to be coming from the wheels or axles them selves but somewhere above them that's covered by the weather barrier. I can't think of anything that would be rotating above the barrier when backing up. Any ideas? We have been on the road for the past 13 months so I'm sure there's some alignment issues and twisting involved with the chassis. We've been in 102 different rv sites in 21 states in the past 13 months so just normal wear and tear is expected but this doesn't seem "normal".

Ron Mathews
    2021 Refection 303 RLS
    Ford F-250 Super Duty
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmathews951 View Post
    I can hear a loud clicking noise from somewhere near the axles when backing up. It's cyclic and based on the speed I'm backing up at, but it does not seem to be coming from the wheels or axles them selves but somewhere above them that's covered by the weather barrier. I can't think of anything that would be rotating above the barrier when backing up. Any ideas? We have been on the road for the past 13 months so I'm sure there's some alignment issues and twisting involved with the chassis. We've been in 102 different rv sites in 21 states in the past 13 months so just normal wear and tear is expected but this doesn't seem "normal".

Ron Mathews
    2021 Refection 303 RLS
    Ford F-250 Super Duty
    Our rig does the same thing. I don't know what it is, but it seems to be "normal".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know when backing up either my 5er or my car hauler (w/load) tandem axle trlrs, the suspension sometimes clicks when turning and the axles accommodate a tight turn. Both done it since day one. Would agree on being somewhat normal suspension sound from leaf sprung suspensions.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 04-26-2022 at 11:50 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for in info. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it continues. This only started a few weeks ago for us and we've got about 7K miles on the 5th. That alone makes the think something has moved or worn out.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't experienced that sound.. but just to be on the safe side I would jack up each side and inspect the whole area around the wheels and suspension. Jacking it up will possibly show something that doesn't show while all 4 are on the ground.

We thought we had the suspension flip (crs is preventing me from the part name) but once jacked up we found it was the hanger that fell off. It did not show visibly while sitting on the tires
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm thinking, something in there is broken or out of alignment and it's happened in the last few weeks. I replaced the tires (because the one's Firestone made especially for this rig were completely worn out in 5,000 miles) and had the wheels, bearings and breaks done 4K miles ago when we started this part of the trip. I'm not sure I can jack the trailer up but I can call someone that can. I can use the Anderson lift block that should pull one wheel at a time off the ground but I'm not sure that well work well enough in this case. Any opinions on that would be most welcome.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmathews951 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking, something in there is broken or out of alignment and it's happened in the last few weeks. I replaced the tires (because the one's Firestone made especially for this rig were completely worn out in 5,000 miles) and had the wheels, bearings and breaks done 4K miles ago when we started this part of the trip. I'm not sure I can jack the trailer up but I can call someone that can. I can use the Anderson lift block that should pull one wheel at a time off the ground but I'm not sure that well work well enough in this case. Any opinions on that would be most welcome.
    If your tires only lasted 5000 miles, I’d be concerned there was a problem
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did the excessive tire wear look like. Might be a clue there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax