User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

major landing gear issue

My landing gear, and specifically the front left is having serious issues. I know the standard "out of stroke" issue is always the left front but in my case it actually is. When I raise the nose to separate the trailer from the truck, often, but not always, the left front pad will lift completely off the ground putting all the weight on the right side before ratcheting itself all the way to the ground. I can actually lift the landing pad off the ground with my hand if I hit the up button on the key pad with one hand and lift the plate with the other. I can hear it clicking as I lift it up. We're currently doing a nation wide tour and getting anyone to look at it is almost impossible. I have a work around that's been effective so far and it's a pain in the ****** but it works. I'm setting the fore-aft level manually by dropping the gear at least 6 inches from it's retracted position while still attached to the truck and then dropping the extensions to the ground and pinning them into place. I can then raise the nose about 4-5 inches to clear the hitch and move the truck, but again, if the left side doesn't move, all the weight is on the right side. Once the truck is clear I can lower the landing gear to a level position and hit the retracted position stops at about the same time. That way the gear can't retract any further and the trailer is well within 1 degree. Most of the time I can work with it and get it down to near "0". Obviously auto leveling is out of the question. I hope to get this repaired in the next 4-6 weeks If I can get one someones schedule but by then we will have moved 3 times. So here's my question... am I on the right track or really screwing something up? All recommendations/comments and concerns welcome.
    Ron Mathews

2021 Reflection 303RLS
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmathews951 View Post
    My landing gear, and specifically the front left is having serious issues. I know the standard "out of stroke" issue is always the left front but in my case it actually is. When I raise the nose to separate the trailer from the truck, often, but not always, the left front pad will lift completely off the ground putting all the weight on the right side before ratcheting itself all the way to the ground. I can actually lift the landing pad off the ground with my hand if I hit the up button on the key pad with one hand and lift the plate with the other. I can hear it clicking as I lift it up. We're currently doing a nation wide tour and getting anyone to look at it is almost impossible. I have a work around that's been effective so far and it's a pain in the ****** but it works. I'm setting the fore-aft level manually by dropping the gear at least 6 inches from it's retracted position while still attached to the truck and then dropping the extensions to the ground and pinning them into place. I can then raise the nose about 4-5 inches to clear the hitch and move the truck, but again, if the left side doesn't move, all the weight is on the right side. Once the truck is clear I can lower the landing gear to a level position and hit the retracted position stops at about the same time. That way the gear can't retract any further and the trailer is well within 1 degree. Most of the time I can work with it and get it down to near "0". Obviously auto leveling is out of the question. I hope to get this repaired in the next 4-6 weeks If I can get one someones schedule but by then we will have moved 3 times. So here's my question... am I on the right track or really screwing something up? All recommendations/comments and concerns welcome.
    Ron Mathews

2021 Reflection 303RLS
    My rear sensor had its mounting screwholes stripped at the factory.(another power screw gun victum) When I found it it was just laying on top of the coroplast. Once I properly installed it, all of it's weird behaviour stopped. It has been flawless ever since.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmathews951 View Post
    Ron Mathews

2021 Reflection 303RLS
    It sounds like the left front landing gear worm gear drive shaft or its gear block is stripped (gear inside the inner tube). By you pulling the latch pin and manually dropping the landing gear pad a long ways, you might be keeping the inner shaft above the stripped part. I have heard that it is caused by lack of grease inside the tube where the worn shaft rides through the worm gear block. Or the block itself might be stripped. It is most reported on electric landing gear 3.0 systems. You can search you tube for videos of owners changing the landing gear square tube. I believe they are available from Lippert or Etrailer and seem to be easy to replace..
    I have heard of this happening on a lot of 5th wheels not just Grand Design. The only cure is to replace the landing gear square tube assembly. They are available without the motor and drive gears.

Just a guess.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, Thanks for the input. I watched a video this morning about removing and replacing the entire landing gear assembly and if I can get the correct replacement part, this is not a hard thing to accomplish. I'm pretty sure the gear assembly is the problem but I'll need to see something online about that and make my decision. I'm still trying to get an RV mobile service company out here first. so far no luck on that.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty