User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Height of rig and gap between rig and bed rails?

After see @traveldawg adjust the height of his Goosebox mount since he had 9", I went out an measured mine after we loosened and re-installed all the GooseBox bolts. It was 9" also and I think I'm set at the lowest bolt pattern. So how much is too much?

By the way, the original install was had the Goosebox cantered off-door side low. It is now square and first time since we picked it up I can lower on the ball with the latch locked and it will do its thing. Every other time I've had to manually unlock the latch.

So, Everything looks relatively level except the bed rail clearance seems more than I measured months back. Also measured overall height of the front AC while hitched and it is 13' 4" on both sides which seems a tad low - but I'll take it.

I could lower the rig an inch by going with a Curt ball instead of the B&W. But TV and RV seem to look pretty level so I'm not sure if it's needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220504_163938.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	42158
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TV & RV.jpg  
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clearance of the bed rails should be around 6" minimum. As long as the trailer is running level, then rail clearance, as long as it's sufficient, is pretty much immaterial.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It look good to me, do you have at least 6" between the bed rail and the bottom of the 5th wheel? I don't think that you want too much lower you might hit the rail with your fiver.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you are level, the more clearance the better
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's what is confusing me. I measured both overall height of rig when hitched and bed rail clearance when we brought it home and yesterday. Both changed and I don't know why. I originally had 7.5" bed rail clearance on the sides and 6.5" over middle of tailgate in April. In April, measured 13' 5.5" high front AC to ground both sides.

Yesterday, 9" side bed rail clearance and 8" over middle of tailgate and 13' 4" high front AC to ground on both sides. The only thing I did was loosen all the bolts in their existing holes so that the Goosebox would be level side-to-side - it was not before.

I guess I'm not understanding how or why that changed though driveway slopes front to back a little - was on the most level spot? Maybe my overall height measurements were a bit imprecise but the bed rail clearances grew an inch or so while the height shrank.

Below are the mounting holes used in both the GooseBox and the Wings. I could lower the trailer and gap between bed rails and RV by using the upper three sets of holes on the wings, but this is how it was installed by dealership.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goosebox mount.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	42173
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ajg617
    After looking at the hitch bolt patterns I see that I moved mine from the lowest position to the standard position. In doing so I was able to put 2 more bolts in the topmost holes. I figured the more bolts the better.

I took it out for it's first test drive today. With the new truck (and 10 speed transmission) and the new hitch set up it rides really nice. A lot less noise starting and stopping and less jerking motion too (there wasn't a lot before, but there was some play - maybe needed to adjust pucks but didn't knowing I was changing things up).

Going from a short bed to a long bed, the 10 speed, and the hitch certainly makes for a different ride. so far it is a better ride. I'll get more miles in a few days on our way down to Key Largo.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    @ajg617
    After looking at the hitch bolt patterns I see that I moved mine from the lowest position to the standard position. In doing so I was able to put 2 more bolts in the topmost holes. I figured the more bolts the better.

I took it out for it's first test drive today. With the new truck (and 10 speed transmission) and the new hitch set up it rides really nice. A lot less noise starting and stopping and less jerking motion too (there wasn't a lot before, but there was some play - maybe needed to adjust pucks but didn't knowing I was changing things up).

Going from a short bed to a long bed, the 10 speed, and the hitch certainly makes for a different ride. so far it is a better ride. I'll get more miles in a few days on our way down to Key Largo.
    Thanks Larry,
    Mine is also attached to the standard position but have 4 sets of bolts on the wings. So I could really mount the pinbox higher on the wings, but it's not what is shown in the GooseBox installation instructions for that frame. I've never actually put a level on the frame when hitched - might be a good idea - I know the dealer didn't do that when installing the GooseBox initially.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought about putting a level on the frame when hitched. Good idea. I usually just measure the distance from the skirting trim to the ground from front to back.

Right now I am about 2" to 3" 'nose high'. But I will be getting MorRyde IS soon (October) and will let them raise the rig a bit to get level (I hope).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought about putting a level on the frame when hitched. Good idea. I usually just measure the distance from the skirting trim to the ground from front to back.

Right now I am about 2" to 3" 'nose high'. But I will be getting MorRyde IS soon (October) and will let them raise the rig a bit to get level (I hope).
    I'm pretty close to level. The MorRyde IS install was really interesting on Changing Lanes YT. On my wish list also - why I opted for the 8K axles and discs.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to use a level, use it on the ground first.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast