User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is just a 43 day trip, I don't think I would plan and routine maintenance. It sounds like you just did that.

Carrying something to clean the bug off the front cap is a good idea. Finding a campground that lets you actually wash the front is another question tho. Take a brush if you want and fill a 5 gallon bucket with some wipe and clean product then you don't need to use a hose.

Other than that what others have said about tools seems to be right on.

oh - I wouldn't be carling a grease gun on a short trip either. Wet bolt greasing seems to be at best a semi-annual thing (assuming I remember to do it), otherwise it is when I remember. Be hey - if you have the space and weight allowance, go for it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also carry some tools and some minor spare parts. That’s about it. Never been on a trip long enough to need maintenance. Longest trip for us has been about 30 days.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of bugs on the front cap like TravelDawg mentioned, I found a recipe for bug cleaner that works pretty darned good.
    1/2 gallon of Vinegar, a few squirts of baby shampoo (this wont remove the wax, Dawn detergent WILL remove the wax) and a gallon of warm water.

On the OP's note, we travel to Texas for 5 months during winter. I do all the routine maintenance on the RV prior to leaving and just change the oil on the F350 as needed. I do carry a tool box as our Golf cart in Port Aransas storage usually needs an oil change once we get down south and a battery reconnect.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MORyde instructions for the wet bolts I just installed do not state any maintenance period, so I would just grease them before a long trip and not again until I get back. For bugs, I found a neat trick when I had a previous class A. At that time there weren't gutters like there are now so black streaks down the sides were common, therefore, most of us had a bottle of black streak remover. I happen to try it on the front and after letting it sit for 5 minutes or so, the bugs just wiped off without any scrubbing. Been doing that ever since...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only carry a tool kit, some Eternabond, and a couple of little things collected over the years. Although I have done oil changes on my truck while on a trip, if it is due for a change in a couple of thousand miles, I just change it before I go. One less thing to worry about on the trip.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought a new truck so I made the comment that since I haven't need them I'm not taking them. Besides if something happens to the truck it's going to the dealer. Needed the tools for the trailer.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 08-18-2022 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add on
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    oh - I wouldn't be carling a grease gun on a short trip either. Wet bolt greasing seems to be at best a semi-annual thing (assuming I remember to do it), otherwise it is when I remember. Be hey - if you have the space and weight allowance, go for it.
    I carry the grease gun after a round trip we took from VA to ID. This was on our 312BHTS. Greased the wet bolts before we left. Also greased the Blue OX Sway Pro. Didn't take the grease gun. The TT suspension was making an awful noise about the time we reached Rapid City, SD. I was embarrassed to even drive through a camp ground it was so loud. I ended up purchasing a cheap mini-grease gun at Walmart in Rapid City and greased the wet bolts and WDH in the parking lot. I easily ended up with a half a tube or more grease on me, the gun, the ground, my wife, kids, dog. Well, maybe not the dog. Suspension was quiet after that. (The wife and kids not so much.) Anyway, I now carry the Lock-N-Lube with me. I think I used it once after traveling through the OBX and Virginia Beach areas for about 3 weeks.

The last time I needed fuel filters (OEM) for my truck, they were on national back order. I can't recall where I finally found them (Rock Auto?), but I purchased 3 sets and carry fuel and oil filters in the truck just in case the ol' supply chain issue rears its ugly head again (or higher).
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    Speaking of bugs on the front cap like TravelDawg mentioned, I found a recipe for bug cleaner that works pretty darned good.
    1/2 gallon of Vinegar, a few squirts of baby shampoo (this wont remove the wax, Dawn detergent WILL remove the wax) and a gallon of warm water.

On the OP's note, we travel to Texas for 5 months during winter. I do all the routine maintenance on the RV prior to leaving and just change the oil on the F350 as needed. I do carry a tool box as our Golf cart in Port Aransas storage usually needs an oil change once we get down south and a battery reconnect.
    ditto.... When I had a motorhome I always had a spray bottle of that mixture (water, vinegar, baby shampoo). I'd spray and wipe the bugs off on days we got a lot on the front. With the truck I tend to use Windex.

I usually wait until I get home to wash the RV. But on long trips I manage to find a campground that allows washing and just tackle the front with a brush and some was-n-wax.

oh - elbow grease is one key ingredient to all of these "remedies"

another oh - I've read that folks use those dryer sheets for getting bugs off the front of vehicles. Not sure how to do that on a 5th wheel front cap.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another oh - I've read that folks use those dryer sheets for getting bugs off the front of vehicles. Not sure how to do that on a 5th wheel front cap.
    Stand in the bed of the pick-up - still can't reach the top. Tried the dryer sheet soaked in baby shampoo and water (didn't hear the vinegar part). A lot of elbow grease required and I just had the feeling I was sanding down the cap.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would probably have red & tacky all over the place like @Fsalmy.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast