Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slight suspension upgrade.

I just finished installing 4,000 lb. springs from Lippert, and the EZ-Flex equalizer and wet bolt kit from Dexter.

The OEM 3,500 lb. springs were starting to look like W's, and there was also a broken shackle, which leads me to think they hadn't been installed correctly. I had originally ordered everything from Etrailer, but they changed the delivery date from August 23rd, to the week of September 12th. We were planning on leaving September 18th, so that wasn't going to work. I ended up ordering the EZ-Flex from another supplier, which was about $30 cheaper, sourced the U-bolts locally and saved $100, and ordered the 4,000 lb. springs from Lippert, saving another $200. Win, win, win.

Since I'm 73, I did the work over two days. I removed the plastic, excuse me, NYLON, bushings that came in the new springs, and installed the brass bushings. Then had to ream out all eight of them, first time I've had to ream out more than one or two spring eye bushings. But got everything installed, torqued down, and greased. All bushings take grease, so that was a plus. I had checked all the grease passages, and only found one that had to be drilled out.

We'll see how everything rides with the bike and Spyder loaded, got to be better than the Lippert Equaflex, those just didn't inspired confidence.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I just finished installing 4,000 lb. springs from Lippert, and the EZ-Flex equalizer and wet bolt kit from Dexter.

The OEM 3,500 lb. springs were starting to look like W's, and there was also a broken shackle, which leads me to think they hadn't been installed correctly. I had originally ordered everything from Etrailer, but they changed the delivery date from August 23rd, to the week of September 12th. We were planning on leaving September 18th, so that wasn't going to work. I ended up ordering the EZ-Flex from another supplier, which was about $30 cheaper, sourced the U-bolts locally and saved $100, and ordered the 4,000 lb. springs from Lippert, saving another $200. Win, win, win.

Since I'm 73, I did the work over two days. I removed the plastic, excuse me, NYLON, bushings that came in the new springs, and installed the brass bushings. Then had to ream out all eight of them, first time I've had to ream out more than one or two spring eye bushings. But got everything installed, torqued down, and greased. All bushings take grease, so that was a plus. I had checked all the grease passages, and only found one that had to be drilled out.

We'll see how everything rides with the bike and Spyder loaded, got to be better than the Lippert Equaflex, those just didn't inspired confidence.
    First, tipping the hat to 73 and still DIYing!! Secondly, etrailer, since becoming so popular and convenient, has not had the best price on anything I have needed in a long, long time... Noticed the same with a lot of things from Amazon. I digress. Now that you're rolling gear is up to par, enjoy the September travel!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up and should be a smoother ride. We have the Dexter EZ Flex w/wet bolt kit for three seasons now and no issues or signs of deterioration.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    First, tipping the hat to 73 and still DIYing!! Secondly, etrailer, since becoming so popular and convenient, has not had the best price on anything I have needed in a long, long time... Noticed the same with a lot of things from Amazon. I digress. Now that you're rolling gear is up to par, enjoy the September travel!
    Yeah, unfortunately correct with regard to Etrailer. I've ordered stuff from them in the past, and been very happy with their pricing and shipping time. Not so much recently.

I'll tell ya, dropping the DIY habit is tough to do. I always am thinking, "I can do that, why pay someone to do it?". Doesn't seem to matter is it's motorcycles, cars, trucks, buildings, or computers. I guess I need to find the nearest DIY Anonymous: "Hello, my name is Howard, and I'm a DIY'er".
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 09-03-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    Howard and Peggy

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Nice write up and should be a smoother ride. We have the Dexter EZ Flex w/wet bolt kit for three seasons now and no issues or signs of deterioration.
    My first EZ-Flex was on a 2010 triple axle toyhauler in 2011. Really loved how it smoothed out the bridge bumps and such. Had a minor glitch with those, as Dexter had a bad batch of the rubber suspension bumpers, and they deteriorated badly, and had to be replaced in less than a year. Dexter sent out notices about the problem, and sent replacement equalizers. But it was still a pain replacing all four equalizers a second time. But those bumpers still looked good, and functioned well 10 years later.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe the the grease passages are still problems. It was an issue when I installed my last ones back in 2004.
    On my last TT I went with the never fails. Will do the same with the momentum some day.It has a couple of problem children that will need attention someday.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I waffled quite a bit before I went with the brass bushings. Not sure it was the right move, but like that famous tattoo: "No Regerts".
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, unfortunately correct with regard to Etrailer. I've ordered stuff from them in the past, and been very happy with their pricing and shipping time. Not so much recently.

I'll tell ya, dropping the DIY habit is tough to do. I always am thinking, "I can do that, why pay someone to do it?". Doesn't seem to matter is it's motorcycles, cars, trucks, buildings, or computers. I guess I need to find the nearest DIY Anonymous: "Hello, my name is Howard, and I'm a DIY'er".
    Let me know when you do... I'll come to the meetings!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Let me know when you do... I'll come to the meetings!
    I've heard of them, but my understanding is the coffee isn't ready, and the doughnuts are still in the mix.
    Howard and Peggy