User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel parking

I'm getting ready to prep my backyard for our upcoming 5th wheel purchase. Right now the front half will be on dirt and the back on grass. I was thinking about getting rid of the grass. I don't want a concrete pad. I have some thick granite pavers that I'm going to double stack and put the tires on those. What would you recommend for the rest of the area under the trailer?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of layers of weed blacker with stone on it. That way you don’t get a bunch of weeds growing up around your RV and if you ever want to put it back to grass you just clear away the stones and weed blocker then reseed.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pad that is inhospitable to insects and vectors is the best pad, Raised above any potential for ponding water and level. Extended a few feet out around all sides to be a drip break to your gutter discharge, nice base for a ladder when clearing your rig, and makes mowing easier. Fifth wheels are heavy with high contact pressure under those tires and deployed jacks. You would want to use a well-graded, crushed gravel that compacts firm but will still drains well. Personally, for heavy trailers, concrete slab is my preference but not cheap!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a gravel bed then boxed it in with 4" x 6" landscape/deck posts with rebar driven through them and into the ground to keep them from moving/shifting around......

After that was done, I added this....

After that was done, this is the results....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I did a gravel bed then boxed it in with 4" x 6" landscape/deck posts with rebar driven through them and into the ground to keep them from moving/shifting around......

After that was done, I added this....

After that was done, this is the results....
    If only I did not live on the floor of a mountain valley where the winds would turn those shelters into a pretzel... Envious of that protection! Pole barn on hold in hopes lumber prices will re-enter the atmosphere and land back on earth! Good and functional, @xrated!

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If only I did not live on the floor of a mountain valley where the winds would turn those shelters into a pretzel... Envious of that protection! Pole barn on hold in hopes lumber prices will re-enter the atmosphere and land back on earth! Good and functional, @xrated!
    We live in the foothills area of the Smoky Mountains in E. TN and we get some pretty stout winds here. I went with the heavier gauge material...posts and sheeting, plus 6 of the screw in/auger type anchors. They say it's supposed to withstand 120MPH winds....I seriously hope I never find out!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    We live in the foothills area of the Smoky Mountains in E. TN and we get some pretty stout winds here. I went with the heavier gauge material...posts and sheeting, plus 6 of the screw in/auger type anchors. They say it's supposed to withstand 120MPH winds....I seriously hope I never find out!
    Beautiful area! After witnessing a neighbor's pole structure - poles, trusses and roof - popped out of the ground and relocated laterally 12 feet and set back down in one piece, everything is a bit heavier built on our property!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into Geo grid. I used 4 " Geo Grid, Fill it with inexpensive stuff and toped with #57 about 1". It is the next best thing to concrete. It won't sink. It spreads the load.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “X” - what are the dimensions of the shed? Can your slides extend and stay under roof? Any worries about A/C clearance while leveling or backing in? Your setup looks real clean and sharp!
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfever View Post
    “X” - what are the dimensions of the shed? Can your slides extend and stay under roof? Any worries about A/C clearance while leveling or backing in? Your setup looks real clean and sharp!
    @Dawgfever -

Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast