User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a 2970RL with a 2022 Silverado 1500?

I am also looking into getting a 2970RL and towing with my 2022 Silverado 1500. I know I will be at the top end of my capacity, but it looks like everything will fall within the limits.

2022 Silverado:
    GVWR: 7,300
    GCWR: 19,000
    RGAWR: 4,150
    Curb Weight: 5,637
    Max Payload: 1,663
    Conv. TWR: 12,900

2970RL
    UVW: 7,397
    Hitch Weight: 751
    GVWR: 8,995

Also, I would be towing with a ProPride 3P-1400 weight distribution hitch and probably around 10-15 gallons of fresh water.

Anyone with experience with the 2970RL think these numbers will be sufficient?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2022Silverado View Post
    I am also looking into getting a 2970RL and towing with my 2022 Silverado 1500. I know I will be at the top end of my capacity, but it looks like everything will fall within the limits.

2022 Silverado:

2970RL

Also, I would be towing with a ProPride 3P-1400 weight distribution hitch and probably around 10-15 gallons of fresh water.

Fully loaded your hitch weight will likely be close to 1200 lbs leaving about 400 lbs for passengers and anything else you plan to put into your truck. You will be very close or slightly over your payload. Saying all that, I towed a Reflectiion 297RSTS which is very much the same trailer with a 2009 Toyota Tundra and I was 300 lbs over payload but the combination handled very well.

With a good WDH with built in sway control it is definitely doable but you will likely be a bit over payload.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Silverado:

2970RL

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard. While you probably can make that combination of the 2970RL and your TV work, you may end up being over the stated weight limit. That being said, there are many on this forum happily towing with TVs that are overloaded for their sticker-listed payloads.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be over no question about it

IF you want to stay “under” ratings then the first thing to do is take your truck as it sits with all of the family going camping and weigh it
    This is your first step
    Guaranteed your payload is well under the 16xx listed on your door jamb

With a pro pride your hitch weight will be over 1300lbs

Rear living trailers are notorious for sway because of a lack of TW to offset the tail heavier floor plan
    My guess is you will be over gvwr and possibly your rear axle by 300 plus pounds

But like I say IF you want to know the first step is to see what your truck weighs first with everything in it

Good luck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    You will be over no question about it

IF you want to stay “under” ratings then the first thing to do is take your truck as it sits with all of the family going camping and weigh it
    This is your first step
    Guaranteed your payload is well under the 16xx listed on your door jamb

With a pro pride your hitch weight will be over 1300lbs

Rear living trailers are notorious for sway because of a lack of TW to offset the tail heavier floor plan
    My guess is you will be over gvwr and possibly your rear axle by 300 plus pounds

But like I say IF you want to know the first step is to see what your truck weighs first with everything in it

Good luck
    I agree with everything you have said here except that rear living trailers are notorious for sway. Rear living trailers have virtually no storage behind the axles. The only storage compartment on these trailers is right up front under the bed which is where all the heavier items go. This makes them very stable for towing. Trailers with most of their storage behind the axles have sway issues. This can be seen with many posts regarding the Momentum travel trailers where a heavier toy is put in the garage behind the axles. All of my trailers have been rear living models and the biggest issue I always had was keeping the tongue weight down. With virtually all storage in front of the axle, tongue weight jumps very quickly which inherently makes these trailers very stable.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull a 2600RB with a 2011 Chevy 1500. I wouldn't pull a larger travel trailer with my truck. Not because it won't do it, but it's just working the truck too hard. Strong cross winds and head winds are the major problem.

Might be okay if you're staying close to home 75-100 mile radius.

Just my opinion.

John

PS: I'm in the market for a 2500. Just haven't found the right deal yet.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Silverado:

2970RL

You left out three important specs:
    Length: 34’ 2”
    Truck wheelbase: (short bed? Is so it’s 147”)
    Hitch weight rating: (should be written/stamped on the hitch itself. For example, on a similar F150 it would be 1400lbs).

I wouldnÂ’t do it. Period. And I have more than 200lbs more payload than you do. It does look like you could based on just dry numbers, but many of us on here have learned those numbers arenÂ’t realistic.

The only scenario I might is if I only towed a couple times a year very short distances - basically just needed to move the trailer but generally left it in one location.

I think you’ll be over payload (possibly by a good bit) and have an uncomfortable tow. You are also 4-5ft over what’s generally recommended on a 147” wheelbase, which isn’t as finite as the weight numbers, but can be significant for trailer control. Your very nice hitch would help, but also hurt because you’re adding even more weight to the truck - weight that is still loading the truck even if you crank the distribution up.

We ruled out the 2670 when shopping for our current trailer. Ended up with something that, even loaded to the max, I can pull with my truck comfortably across the country. With my current 240ml (29’9”, 7500lbs) I’ve been across the scales loaded including 10-15lbs water and it’s within 100lbs of my truck and trailer GVWR, but on the good side. It’s way under the towing capacity/GCWR, but up against GVWRs. I agree with other posters that 2600 is the largest I would go with a half ton. Lots have ended up in the two truck club trying larger trailers with half tons on here.

IÂ’ve seen a lot of 2670mk and 2800bh reviews on here, and many were not happy with a half ton. Not so many for your trailer, but since the 2970 is even bigger, I think 2670/2800 experiences might help you. Worth looking up.

Best of luck with your decision and hope you end up happy with whatever combo you choose.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow a 2670MK which is a little smaller and shorter than the 2970RL. We had an F150 crew cab short bed when we bought the trailer. Wife really wanted the 2970 but I though we were pushing the limits as it was with the 2670. BTW, we have been using a Hensley hitch since day one with this trailer, had it on my last trailer as well. The F150 had a payload capacity of 1,806lbs and the hitch was rated at 1,250lbs. Long story short I never was satisfied with the combo. On days when the wind was calm it towed good. Had plenty of power and brakes. Transmission performed good etc. It just never felt totally stable. On windy days and traveling long distances it will wear you out. I will also mention that the 150 had 10ply tires, Bilstein shocks and rear sway bar added. All those mods helped but still not great. Finally upgraded to a F350 SRW, night and day difference. No more airing up tires before towing and letting air out when not. No more worrying about payload capacity and hitch capacity and most importantly, I’m not stressed and on the edge of my seat when towing in less than ideal conditions! The Propride hitch will absolutely stop and prevent sway. It will not stop crosswinds and trucks, busses and class A’s from blowing you around. The 350 I have now is gas and it outweighs the 150 I had by 2,000#. It’s the same cab and interior with a longer bed. It’s just that much more truck…

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL-ACES View Post
    We tow a 2670MK which is a little smaller and shorter than the 2970RL. We had an F150 crew cab short bed when we bought the trailer. Wife really wanted the 2970 but I though we were pushing the limits as it was with the 2670. BTW, we have been using a Hensley hitch since day one with this trailer, had it on my last trailer as well. The F150 had a payload capacity of 1,806lbs and the hitch was rated at 1,250lbs. Long story short I never was satisfied with the combo. On days when the wind was calm it towed good. Had plenty of power and brakes. Transmission performed good etc. It just never felt totally stable. On windy days and traveling long distances it will wear you out. I will also mention that the 150 had 10ply tires, Bilstein shocks and rear sway bar added. All those mods helped but still not great. Finally upgraded to a F350 SRW, night and day difference. No more airing up tires before towing and letting air out when not. No more worrying about payload capacity and hitch capacity and most importantly, I’m not stressed and on the edge of my seat when towing in less than ideal conditions! The Propride hitch will absolutely stop and prevent sway. It will not stop crosswinds and trucks, busses and class A’s from blowing you around. The 350 I have now is gas and it outweighs the 150 I had by 2,000#. It’s the same cab and interior with a longer bed. It’s just that much more truck…
    I had a similar experience towing our 2650 with a F150 3.5EB. CAT scales said I was over on my gross and rear axle. Even after putting "E" tires on it never felt like I had total control of the trailer. Rather than spec out a new F150 I made the jump to a F250. Night and day difference, a solid ride and gas mileage actually improved.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is the OP didn’t hear what he wanted to hear and moved on
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast