User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I have to get warranty work done at dealer we purchase from

Grand design owners, we are looking at a grand design trailer at a dealer, who tells us we must go to the dealer we purchase from for service work. Is this true with G design or BS? Thx. Joe

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good morning Joseph, and welcome to the forum. That's a great question, and the typical answer is "it depends".

If you live in the state of Texas, there is a law which requires you to get your work done at the dealership you purchased the unit from. If you live elsewhere, there is no hard and fast rule. BUT, most RV dealerships will NOT service units that were not purchased from them, no matter the brand. Many of them are swamped with work, and there is not enough profit in service work to put you in their work queue if you didn't purchase from them. They want to save those service slots for the people who purchased from them in the first place. The exception is that if you're on a trip and a hundreds or thousands of miles from home and something breaks. Most dealers will try to fit you in if you're actually stranded. But they won't try to accommodate you if it's something simple that can wait until you get to your home dealership.

Grand Design recognizes that this is a big impact on owners. If you need warranty work and your selling dealer or another dealer can't get you in for service in a timely manner, Grand Design will work with you. If you call their customer service number at 1-574-825-9679, they will usually authorize a mobile repair technician to come to you for repairs if the wait is too long. In addition, they will almost always send you parts for free if your unit is under warranty and you're willing to do the work your self.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchased ours in Arkansas and we live in Washington, I called the local dealer for warranty work. I did not ask nor mention where the purchase was. Had an appointment in 2 weeks and the work was done in a couple days. So again just depends
    Don and Brenda
    2014 F350 CC Platinum SRW SB
    2019 Reflection 337 build 8/19
    Andersen ultimate rail mount

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph143 View Post
    Grand design owners, we are looking at a grand design trailer at a dealer, who tells us we must go to the dealer we purchase from for service work. Is this true with G design or BS? Thx. Joe
    No, you don't have to. Grand Design is warrantied for full time living and we had warranty work done at a couple of different dealerships across the nation. It wasn't even a question and because I got Grand Design factory involved first, it was a quick in and out the same day. Actually, two days in McClain's in Ft. Worth but they have a nice little RV park with full hookups right on site, so we spent the night there.

Grand Design will also authorize a mobile tech. if you are full time and the local dealership can't get to you for a period of time. You have to pay for the service call and GD covers the parts and labor.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Pulled the trigger on a 311bhs a little while ago.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph143 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Pulled the trigger on a 311bhs a little while ago.
    Congratulations! Enjoy that new rig.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What law is that in Texas?

Please enlighten us as to what law in Texas requires that. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Good morning Joseph, and welcome to the forum. That's a great question, and the typical answer is "it depends".

If you live in the state of Texas, there is a law which requires you to get your work done at the dealership you purchased the unit from. If you live elsewhere, there is no hard and fast rule. BUT, most RV dealerships will NOT service units that were not purchased from them, no matter the brand. Many of them are swamped with work, and there is not enough profit in service work to put you in their work queue if you didn't purchase from them. They want to save those service slots for the people who purchased from them in the first place. The exception is that if you're on a trip and a hundreds or thousands of miles from home and something breaks. Most dealers will try to fit you in if you're actually stranded. But they won't try to accommodate you if it's something simple that can wait until you get to your home dealership.

Grand Design recognizes that this is a big impact on owners. If you need warranty work and your selling dealer or another dealer can't get you in for service in a timely manner, Grand Design will work with you. If you call their customer service number at 1-574-825-9679, they will usually authorize a mobile repair technician to come to you for repairs if the wait is too long. In addition, they will almost always send you parts for free if your unit is under warranty and you're willing to do the work your self.

Jim

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcricanrv View Post
    Please enlighten us as to what law in Texas requires that. [emoji23]
    This thread is years old, and the person you quoted no longer participates on this forum. I'd be interested to see that law as well.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I have to get warranty work done at dealer we purchase from

Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    This thread is years old, and the person you quoted no longer participates on this forum. I'd be interested to see that law as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcricanrv View Post
    Please enlighten us as to what law in Texas requires that. [emoji23]
    Yes this is a very old thread, but a great question.

Basically rv dealerships are very different animals from car dealerships.

Car dealerships are basically franchises of a particular manufacturer and as such carry branding, signage and are mandated in certain respects by that manufacturer. Most rv dealerships are not franchises of the manufacturer. While they carry the brand, there is very little that the manufacturer dictates to them (compared to an auto dealer). While there is no law that I know of, as an independent business owner, they can set whatever rules they want in terms of who they offer services to.

Again, no law that I can find, but they can refuse service, including warranty.

Best case is to reach out to the manufacturer first, then find a dealer that is willing to work with you and the manufacturer.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS