Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-Bikes with 2500RL

My wife and I are the new owners of a 2020 2500RL, just got it last week, and are excited to get it set up and get a trip or two in before winter.

We have two e-bikes and wonder how folks carry their e-bikes with the 2500RL. We have a roll-n-lock cover on the truck so hauling them in the truck bed is difficult not preferred.

I have heard of laying one on the bed or standing them next to the stove with blankets and pillows to keep them in place. I have considered modifying a bike rack or building one with PVC pipe to sit on the floor and wedge it between the fridge and stove but not sure if it will be sufficient to control side-to-side movement. If you have any comments or pics, please share. Thanks!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at the bike racks that go over the truck bed cover?
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our friends have the the roll-n-lock type tonneau that has integrated bed rail tracks. They use what I believe are apair of Yakima carriers. One grabs the tire, and other, the frame due to fenders. Their e-bikes are over 60 lbs ea. Just finished 2k mile trip with no problems. Their backup plan was an aftermarket hitch from etrailer, and platform rack, with spare in the truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA87606B-694C-4F9B-8825-FAFF64CE2147.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	43274
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a e bike rv rated bike rack to put on the back of my trailer. The specs and numbers work out, But. After thinking about it I’m going to put them in the bedroom wrapped in harbor freight moving blankets. They are 60 lbs each and I just can’t get my head around putting them way back behind the trailer. Bouncing, Dirty, wet, Did I mention bouncing. Maybe just put one back there. Big hassle getting them in and out at each campsite. But. Well. We will see.

For me, in my advanced years, the 60 lbs on the tonneau cover is a no go.

I did buy a 15mm wrench to get the pedals off. And I practiced with the left handed thread on one of the pedals. Tricky, that.

My big idea is to put the rack on the back of the trailer, empty and folded up, for traveling but only use it on the truck when I get to paradise. What a plan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	43275
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st off if you don't have shocks and an CRE3000 or equivalent then you'll bounce. With those items the TT will ride smoother. 2nd any of the premium travel trailer rated ebike hitches will be solid.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...hoCAlMQAvD_BwE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that the rack linked above is limited to 40 lbs/bike when used on RV. Perhaps this one for the heavy e-bikes:

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-SPEC-...s%2C104&sr=8-1
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Note that the rack linked above is limited to 40 lbs/bike when used on RV. Perhaps this one for the heavy e-bikes:

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-SPEC-...s%2C104&sr=8-1
    Good catch. I missed the RV part.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We (well DW is) are now entertaining getting Ebikes. I'm not sure I'd want to store the inside the TT. To risky in damaging stuff and must be a pain to bring them inside and out. If we do end up getting them, we'll get an EBike RV rated hitch and either have a hitch welded to the back of the tt or add a hitch to the front of the truck.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and congrats on the 2500rl and welcome to the group. The 2500rl is an attractive floor plan.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be concerned about driving in the rain with an ebike in front of the truck. Last time I hauled mine in the rain I needed to cover the LCD monitor and the throttle. I hadn't got my rack yet for the TT and just hauled them in the truck. Water is electrics worst enemy. Not that it can't be done it's just something that will be riskier.
    I always travel with my ebikes covered now whether it's rainy or sunny out. I don't have real expensives ones ($2800 each) compared to higher end bikes but it's still a big splurge for something thats not an everyday item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast