User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overheated brakes

I let my daughter and SIL borrow my 369RL and truck. When he was hitching he managed to have the Kingpin “slip”
    Out of the hitch and hit my tailgate. But that is another topic.

Anyway, somewhere along the way he also managed to have the break-away cable connection come undone. He towed until he noticed the brakes smoking. He pulled over, let them cool done and then started towing again. As you may guess he towed again until the brakes were smoking and cherry red. Finally he noticed the the break-away had come undone. By this time the connector on the pin box had actually melted.

Before I start tearing things apart, what should I be looking for as far as damaged parts. My 369 still has the factory brake setup if it makes a difference. Shoes, drums, bearings? Am I missing anything else?
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, you'll be looking for bearings with the grease melted out, blued bearings and races, warped/distorted drums, melted wires, blued axle stubs.

Could you come back with the problems, if any, you've found? I would be interested in how badly, if at all, the brake hardware and associated parts were damaged by the high heat.

TIA
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take one wheel hub apart, inspect everything and see what it looks like to start, but I suspect it might be best to replace all the hub assemblies, probably a lot easier, 5 bolts and 2 wires for each wheel. Evaluate if you need new bearings. Remember to replace the grease seal. Obviously, you'll want a new break away switch.

Might want to check your tires too, if the wheel locked up at all, might have some flat spots.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... hope the SIL is going to pay for it. Hard to believe the drag would not be evident.
    Now I have an excuse not to loan my rig out.
    Sorry for the damage caused!!
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 F250, 7.3 with a 10 speed transmission
    Armor All on the tires, color coordinated floor mats.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpb9294 View Post
    Wow... hope the SIL is going to pay for it. Hard to believe the drag would not be evident.
    Now I have an excuse not to loan my rig out.
    Sorry for the damage caused!!
    He said he thought it was pulling hard when he left the sight. Unfortunately, instead of stopping and checking things out, he just kept going.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the things stated by others, the magnets may have several thousand miles worth of wear and the heat may have damaged their ability to do their job.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloase View Post
    I let my daughter and SIL borrow my 369RL and truck. When he was hitching he managed to have the Kingpin “slip”

Anyway, somewhere along the way he also managed to have the break-away cable connection come undone. He towed until he noticed the brakes smoking. He pulled over, let them cool done and then started towing again. As you may guess he towed again until the brakes were smoking and cherry red. Finally he noticed the the break-away had come undone. By this time the connector on the pin box had actually melted.

Before I start tearing things apart, what should I be looking for as far as damaged parts. My 369 still has the factory brake setup if it makes a difference. Shoes, drums, bearings? Am I missing anything else?
    You have a lot of work ahead of you and expense. It is extremely lucky there was not a fire that burned up the whole rig. Yup, every wheel hub/brake assembly will have to be taken apart and checked and or replaced. Its getting hard to find any machine shop that can check or turn brake drums and most likely they are all wrapped. Then you will have to check all the brake wiring from the pin box switch all the way to the axles for melted wires. Once that breakaway switch is pulled it applies full battery power amps to the brake system. And yes all the tires will have to be checked for flat spots.

I don't envy you your task
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloase View Post

Well. I would suggest taking this opportunity to upgrade to disk brakes. They are great. Based on your description of the incident, I wouldn't bother doing inspections of parts; mostly because of the age of your trailer. I would just buy all new brake sets with bearings. I would inspect the spindle to make sure it was not overheated (looking for the discoloration). Inspect the wiring at the junction box and the portions coming out of the trailer to the axles. That's what I would do since everything will have to be taken off anyway.

AND, if alloy wheels, check for warping.
    Last edited by tamrick; 11-10-2022 at 07:56 AM.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    Well. I would suggest taking this opportunity to upgrade to disk brakes. They are great......
    I would agree with tamarack - good time to invest in an upgrade.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make him repack the bearings so you don't get dirty doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast