User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    After doing some research and reading several reviews on Roadside Assistance, we decided to use the Roadside Assistance offered by FMCA. We have never had to use it, but during our trip to Michigan we stayed at an RV park in Elkhart. One of RV'ers there had a problem and did call the FMCA Roadside Assistance which was able to provide a mobile repair service to rather quickly. Just a short note - On our trip to Michigan we lost the outside wing antenna. While in Elkhart we called Grand Design Customer Service, they provided a number for a mobile repair service and provided a new antenna as their cost
    I'm not sure I'd judge a roadside assistance program by its ability to get a mobile RV tech in Elkhart, "the RV capital of the world"! That seems like playing tennis with the net down.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPanning View Post
    I'm not sure I'd judge a roadside assistance program by its ability to get a mobile RV tech in Elkhart, "the RV capital of the world"! That seems like playing tennis with the net down.
    Seems like you mis-read my statement. The RV with the problem used the FMCA Roadside Assistance for their necessary repairs. I agree that finding a Mobile RV repair in Elkhart was quite easy, but FMCA provided one to them.

Grand Design gave me a number for my repairs.

I guess my point was that Grand Design provided me with a tech and FMCA provided them with a tech. We both could have used the internet and searched and found a tech. But wouldn't you rather have a tech recommended by a company rather than using the internet to find one and going by the reviews only?
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I was terribly dissapointed the first few times I used them, but once I understood their capabilities I have been more satisfied with them.
    Lowered your expectations until you were satisfied?

Good write up. Usually very stressful for people because they have a schedule with CG's booked, activities planned and waiting for a tow or whatever will always seem to take forever.

This past summer a friend of ours, camped beside us had a TV with a seized bearing. We were camped at a lake down miles of gravel logging roads.
    They borrowed a vehicle, drove up to a high point to get cell service and called GSam. Gave them directions on how to navigate the logging roads, and gave them a number of a tow company 45 miles away. About three hours later a tow truck showed up. I was impressed.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-12-2022 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve used Roadside Assistance four times with reasonable results, but let’s be real. The US is not a uniform network of RV savvy repair facilities, so you get what’s available. Or not! My best advice is be prepared for what’s likely available along your route knowing you may have to bandaid a repair yourself, or even help the service your RSA sends. Extra spares, gas, Gorilla Tape, heave duty zip ties, plumbers epoxy putty, PEX parts/crimp tool. Those sorts of things. And above all, know what’s in your rigs manuals and keep them handy.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have roadside assistance anymore after two lousy, our first and last attempts, to have a flat tire repaired. Busy interstate, not out in the middle of no where, and neither attempt resulted in a satisfactory result. No one ever showed up at the first one, and they showed up after about 6 hours at the second one, and had to use my tools. So no more money wasted on Roadside Assistance programs. This was with Good Sam Roadside Assistance.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't go with roadside assistance either. Most of the time what stops you is a flat tire....I can handle that.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Lowered your expectations until you were satisfied?
    Interesting point of view. I hadn't quite thougt of it that way, but you are correct. But then I guess I apply that philosophy to many aspects of my life. I felt dissapointed the first time my Momentum broke down, now, 5 years later I am satisified with it, even though I am waiting for the repairman to show up. I was satisfied with my dog, until she pooped on the carpet, but she is laying on my lap while I type. I thought the new kitty was awefully sweet, until she clawed my bedspread to ribbons, we will be taking her for a walk when the rain quites. I was satisfied with my new bicycle, until the gear shift went out of alignment, it's in the shop now, but I am looking forward to our next bike ride.

I am not going to talk about my wife. 39th anniverseray is coming up next week.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not going to talk about my wife. 39th anniverseray is coming up next week.
    [emoji1787] Oh my word! I almost fell off the chair! Now THAT'S funny!

Congratulations on 39 years!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I am not going to talk about my wife. 39th anniversary is coming up next week.
    Can I add two together for 50 years or is that cheating? Both were/are keepers. (Those who know me will know the back story.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. We have had GS for several years and fortunately haven’t needed to call. Will make a note now from your post.

We have had Good Sam RA for 20+ years and they have never failed to come through ....and believe me we've used them a lot! Yes, sometimes it took a little longer depending on location but they still came through. It was 6 hrs total time from this mishap to getting dropped off at midnight at a Camping World in GA... in 95° July heat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210930-035406_Photos.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	43847

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210930-035425_Photos.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	43849

When I thought about switching to AAA and a few other I sent them that picture and they said they wouldn't be able to tow me. I'll stick with GSRA.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 11-17-2022 at 08:12 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast