User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Well, if I have to buy fuel and DEF, that to me is an additive. I guess I need to do more research.
    The difference is....YOU add something to the fuel as you are pumping it....and DEF is added to the exhaust while the truck is running. DEF is NEVER added to the diesel fuel....NEVER. If someone does add it to the diesel fuel, they are going to have a very bad and a very expensive day ahead of them.....actually, make that weeks, not day.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite aspect of a diesel truck is that you can get fuel in the truck lanes into which you can actually fit stress free with a long rv.

Also agree that after two gassers and now a Duramax for towing. I’m totally sold on the diesel towing experience. Especially in the mountains. So nice.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    My favorite aspect of a diesel truck is that you can get fuel in the truck lanes into which you can actually fit stress free with a long rv.

Also agree that after two gassers and now a Duramax for towing. I’m totally sold on the diesel towing experience. Especially in the mountains. So nice.
    My approach, as well as many others, is that I have a 37 1/2 gallon tank on the truck...plus a 60 gallon aux. tank in the bed. The aux. tank can be filled to a recommended capacity of 95%, so when I leave on a trip, I have approx. 94/95 gallons of diesel. Since I never drive a long enough day to empty all of that diesel out of both tanks, it allows me to do a "normal" travel day for me and then after getting to a campsite and unhitching and setting up, I can drive just the truck to refuel wherever I want to refuel....mostly away from truck stops where the diesel is normally less expensive. That method worked perfectly for us last year on our 5000+ mile trip out west and back. My longest day was 475 miles and I burned about 58 gallons of fuel that day.....which means I had well over 30+ gallons left onboard.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is how we do it too. Although we do have a smaller auxiliary tank, but we travel fewer miles. Works a treat. This year the price differences between regular fuel stops and truck stops has been substantial, anywhere from 30-60 cents/gallon.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our TT with a 2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins diesel and even thou there is added fuel costs and the issue of having to use DEF, I do not want to go back to towing with a gas engine. Yes, finding diesel isn't as easy a gas, but it's not hard at all and your don't need to use an app. I've also found that most stations with diesel pumps are better suited to handle larger rigs and trailers, so they are generally easier to get in and out of. More importantly, I like having the extra torque when towing up those long steep hills and I equally love using the diesel brake on the way down, but there are other considerations that you need to consider. First diesel engines are very expensive options, in my case it added approximately $8000 to $9000 to the initial price of the truck. I'm told that I'll make that a lot of that up when I sell, but that remains to be seen. Second, adding a diesel engine significantly reduces the payload on the truck, due to the added weight of the diesel over a gas engine. In our case, a 2018 RAM 2500 equipped with a 6.4L gas engine had a payload of 3300 lbs and mine equipped with a 6.7L Cummins diesel had the payload reduced to 2450 lbs. That in my opinion, is a significant reduction in payload.

Truthfully you can't got wrong with either, but I'm sticking with a diesel. I hope this helps.

Bob

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if I have to buy fuel and DEF, that to me is an additive. I guess I need to do more research.
    Buying Fuel and DEF is not a 1:1 proposition.

DEF is an emissions requirement for newer Diesel engines. During the combustion process Nitrous Oxide, a pollutant and Green House gas, is created. To combat this Nitrous Oxide, DEF is injected into the exhaust stream to chemically convert the Nitrous Oxide into Water and Hydrogen which is exhausted through the tailpipe.

A full tank of DEF will last through several tanks of Diesel fuel.

Where the membership card you've been hearing about comes into play is at Truck Stop Fueling stations. If you choose to fill up out back where the big semi trucks fill up, your credit card will not start the pump like it does at the retail pumps. You would have to walk inside to the truckers fuel desk, give them your credit card, and ask them to start the pump for you. Then, after pumping your fuel, you need to walk back in and finalize payment. If you apply for a TDS Logistiscs Fuel Card (also known as "Open Road") you can start the pumps with this card and the cost is deducted from your Checking or Savings account. The TDS Logistics also offers a big discount on the cost of your fuel.

Personally, I find it easier to pull into the truckers pumps when I am towing and the discount is always $20 or more per fillup.

The Trucker's pumps also have DEF for sale at the pumps on a per gallon basis which saves you money compared to buying DEF by the box (there is a blue nozzle to pump your DEF).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go gasser in the mountains of Colorado. Then go with a diesel equipped with engine braking. You’ll learn real fast the value of that diesel.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are diesels that difficult?

I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.
    Great questions. I think that diesels do have a potential to be more complicated when things go wrong, but mostly not.

I am on my second diesel vehicle. The first I owned pre-def and other emissions related components and the truck performed excellent. I changed oil and did service religiously at the set intervals. Traded that truck in 07 with about 75k trouble free miles.

My current diesel is a 2019 model Duramax and has performed flawlessly. It has the 7 gallon def tank and I just added three weeks ago since Aug of this year. Added 5 gallons at a cost of about 38 bucks. So I added four times this year, Jan, April, August and November. Total def cost for the year is about 160 bucks. Def usage is highly dependent on driving conditions. I put a total of about 12k on my truck this year and about 40% of that was towing. This truck is also NOT my daily driver either. Something else to keep in mind.

I don’t run any fuel or oil additives and have been trouble free so far (going on 30k as of today).

Like xrated and others, I do have a larger fuel tank (62 gallons vs 36 gallons). We do our best to limit daily towing travel to 350-400 miles so we’ll within a single tank range. We can then fuel up unhitched if needed which provides “options”

For us the towing performance of diesel power far outweigh any added cost for maint or operation. Diesel does open up the truck lanes for when hitched up.

Different, yes, a bit, bit I don’t think more complicated. I think going diesel at the weight you outlined is completely appropriate and you will be very satisfied with the performance of pretty much any diesel truck you get today.

Good luck with your decision!
    Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 11-28-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go with a different approach. Not only is DEF not a fuel additive, but if you do add it to your fuel and don't realize it before starting the engine, it could cost you about $10k in fuel system replacement.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I'll go with a different approach. Not only is DEF not a fuel additive, but if you do add it to your fuel and don't realize it before starting the engine, it could cost you about $10k in fuel system replacement.
    Thus the reason for my comment about a very bad day and a very expensive day/weeks
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast