User Tag List

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Well, if I have to buy fuel and DEF, that to me is an additive. I guess I need to do more research.
    DEF is not an additive and don't put it in the diesel tank. All new diesel trucks require it so you have no choice.
    If you get diesel with bio in it your don't really need a fuel additive unless you want a cetane boost which can help fuel economy

As far as using an app to find diesel. Apps can be useful to find truck stops and other stations that have trucker lanes so you can get your long trailer to the pump. Apps are also useful for saving fuel like the Open Road fuel card
    https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/
    If you have to go to a truck stop and pay more you are just as well to get a discount..
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at diesel vs gas.
    There is a lot of good information in this thread.

The gas vs diesel is really a preference choice we all make when buying a truck. I have a diesel because I feel the towing is superior with a 14K+ trailer. Some things to note:

• There are no problems finding fuel. I like the truck stops due to the easy in and out. The trailer size is much more of a restriction than the fuel type. Truckers, farmers, municipal and construction vehicles all use a lot of diesel fuel. It is readily available (assuming no outside influences).
    • DEF is an emissions control item. My wife will throw up at the smell of diesel exhaust, although it does not bother me much. Using DEF, my truck has no smell. Really,… nothing. No smoke, no smell. I understand this is another system that might fail, but it also makes the towing possible. If it had any smell, I would be travelling alone.
    • I use Optilube additives for several reasons. That’s a complete science into itself, but I live behind the Cheddar Curtain in Wisconsin. We get a bit chilly in the winter,.. even colder than the station fuel is formulated for. A winter anti-gel is a must. I have also noticed the truck is substantially quieter (diesel rattle and noise) when using the Optilube all year. My preference, not required.

The diesel vehicle will cost a bit more and requires a bit more maintenance. I like the power advantages and its durability. This was the first vehicle I purchased with the thought of keeping it for more than 3 or 4 years.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is not an option in newer diesel trucks. You are required by law to use it. If you run out, the computer will shut down the truck and you will operate at idle speeds until you refilled it. DEF is readily available at Walmart, Sam's Club, auto parts stores, or fuel stops. It costs $21 for a 2.5 gal jug. The DEF tank/fill tube is marked by a blue cap. Next time a big rig goes by look for the blue capped DEF tank. They have to use it also. When towing (10,000lbs) I go through 1 DEF tank (7 gals) to 4 tanks (33 gal) of fuel. When not towing a DEF tank lasts a long time.
    Robin and Janis: Retired Air Force
    Travel goals: Eat ice cream in all 50 States
    2022 150 Reflection 295 RL
    2022 Ram Larime 2500

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Th We get a bit chilly in the winter,.. even colder than the station fuel is formulated for. A winter anti-gel is a must.
    Not so sure about that. I haven't ever used antigel, but have started my truck in -40* temps. So how cold does it have to be to make antigel a necessity? must be colder than -40* I guess.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    There is a lot of good information in this thread.

The diesel vehicle will cost a bit more and requires a bit more maintenance. I like the power advantages and its durability. This was the first vehicle I purchased with the thought of keeping it for more than 3 or 4 years.
    Rob
    I disagree that the Diesel will require more maintenance. Looking at my 2019 F350 Owner's manual, I was surprised at how little maintenance was actually required. Through my first 30k, I have had to change oil regularly, replace the Cabin Air Filter @ 20k, and replace the fuel filters @ 30k. Beyond that, it's been wipers and washer fluid. Tires are going to need to be replaced on every truck, so I did not count one new set of tires.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I disagree that the Diesel will require more maintenance.
    I agree it doesn't take more maintenance.....but the maintenance bits and pieces will cost you more.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Not so sure about that. I haven't ever used antigel, but have started my truck in -40* temps. So how cold does it have to be to make antigel a necessity? must be colder than -40* I guess.
    Agreed. Never used it myself either. Can’t say I’ve had to start in -40 but well below zero.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDK about the same maintenance for a gasser vs diesel.
    Gasser is just oil changes.
    Diesel is 2 filters and oil change plus adding DEF throughout the year.
    Plus add in $9000 to the price and diesels are more expensive in the long run.
    Owning a diesel is not for the faint of heart. Lots more can go wrong and when it does it's $$$$$.
    Don't get me wrong I'm on my 2nd in 10 years but I know what I'm getting into.
    The OP should weigh all things carefully.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    IDK about the same maintenance for a gasser vs diesel.
    Gasser is just oil changes.
    Diesel is 2 filters and oil change plus adding DEF throughout the year.
    Plus add in $9000 to the price and diesels are more expensive in the long run.
    Owning a diesel is not for the faint of heart. Lots more can go wrong and when it does it's $$$$$.
    Don't get me wrong I'm on my 2nd in 10 years but I know what I'm getting into.
    The OP should weigh all things carefully.
    I am on my third diesel since 2001. The resale value is there. I have tracked my cost over the years, and amazingly, it has stayed the same, a little over 4000.00 a year. Though the price of a new one has soared, so has the used ones. That 4K figure is just the net cost of purchase divided by years of ownership. I do not finance autos or RVs, so I do not have that expense.
    I have not found maintainece to be more overall. It is more in some areas and cheaper in others. The price of fuel goes up and down vs. gas, but the 30% better milage is constant.
    As is the grin everytime I climb hill when towing .

I think I have done more than OK.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Agreed. Never used it myself either. Can’t say I’ve had to start in -40 but well below zero.
    I have never used it or any additives. And I doubt we get winter diesel in AZ-NM where most of my travels have been. And we have been down to -12 a few times without issue. Actually never gave it any thought.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast