User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    On the flip side you also have to look at who's behind positivity too. Not making any judgement either way here, just saying whichever side has something to gain or lose is going to tout whatever helps them or hinders the other.
    Agree, but I look at situations like Hyundai and think why would a company spend 5.54B on a new plant for something thats dead in the water as some think it is? I highly doubt Hyundai is making decisions' from click bait articles.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Agree, but I look at situations like Hyundai and think why would a company spend 5.54B on a new plant for something thats dead in the water as some think it is? I highly doubt Hyundai is making decisions' from click bait articles.
    New battery technology aside, the charging infrastructure just isn't in place, will cost a lot of $$$, and take decades or longer to fund and install - all the while putting greater demand on coal and LP fired electric plants which are already prone to brownouts and rationing. We can't even keep the existing electrical grid up.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    New battery technology aside, the charging infrastructure just isn't in place, will cost a lot of $$$, and take decades or longer to fund and install - all the while putting greater demand on coal and LP fired electric plants which are already prone to brownouts and rationing. We can't even keep the existing electrical grid up.
    https://electrek.co/2022/04/05/the-l...ctrical%20grid.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't hear many people say it is dead in the water at all. I only hear one side saying we're going to EV in 12 years or whatever, and the flip side saying we aren't going to be there that quickly. I do happen to be on the side that finds it hard to believe I'm going to be pulling an RV across the country in 15 years efficiently. If we're doing it, I think it will simply be mandated and the powers that be won't care how many days it takes us to get there because we have to recharge repeatedly on the way. More realistically, I venture to guess that diesel trucks will still be diesels (or hybrids) in 2035. But what do I know?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the source is a EV promoting website, one has to take the information with a grain of salt. And several times mention was made about the government paying to add more charging stations, but no mention was made as to how those charging stations will be supplied. Just un-named experts, with one exception, that say the electrical grid will "evolve", but no specifics. I have no issues with the expanding EV market, but do question how the electrical grid is going to "evolve".
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Considering the source is a EV promoting website, one has to take the information with a grain of salt. And several times mention was made about the government paying to add more charging stations, but no mention was made as to how those charging stations will be supplied. Just un-named experts, with one exception, that say the electrical grid will "evolve", but no specifics. I have no issues with the expanding EV market, but do question how the electrical grid is going to "evolve".
    Look at his Linked-In profile. https://www.linkedin.com/in/scooter-doll-does-it.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I believe that the BBB plan has allocated $5B to install 500,000 new charging stations. Won't happen overnite but doesn't have to. The current rate of EV sales so far doesn't seem to warrant charging station on every corner so to speak. Just my speculation but as charging improves so does EV sales. I'm sure the fossil fuel industry can paint a bleak picture of it though.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    My daughter in-law bought a Tesla recently. It's a beautiful car and high tech for sure. She had a charging cable installed in her garage which was smart. She and the son live in SoCal and she travels about 60 miles a day and needs a recharge every other day. The car and technology works well for her local driving scenario.

The disappointment came when she and my son took the Tesla to Vegas. She couldn't make the 265 mile trip without a recharge, about halfway (Baker CA). The lesson learned was her Tesla works great for local driving but not so much for a road trip.

I believe EV technology will be a viable option for replacing petroleum based transportation someday but it's probably several decades away. Most likely newer and better transportation technologies will be available by then too so EV might not even be the best option several decades from now.

But our petroleum based economy includes much more than just petroleum based transportation. It's used throughout our economy.
    Interesting that all the Tesla models have enough range to easily make that trip if left with a full charge. Any reason why she didn't make the trip on a full charge?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If and when electric takes over there will have to be charge stations as there are gas stations now. They will not be free. What everyone thinks right now about how cheap it is, that will change. People will not put them up unless they can make good money off it. States will get a lot more involved in taxing people to replace the money they lose off gas. It will cost as much to drive electric as it does gas. People will not lose their their business's and states will not give up a big revenue source without replacing it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that all the Tesla models have enough range to easily make that trip if left with a full charge. Any reason why she didn't make the trip on a full charge?
    Don't know all the details but she did say she was driving very fast in the desert. But the estimates they give on range probably use ideal conditions on weight, terrain, speed and like with gas cars/trucks you never see the MPG the car manufactures advertise.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast