User Tag List

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC22RBE View Post
    No problem finding diesel - replace standard tank w 55 or 60 gallon - well worth it - 7 to 800 miles w out tow - good 500+ w tow. Love our F-250 6.7 turbo 10 speed.
    Did you do that mod yourself or take it in? After watching YouTube vids I'm thinking it's doable myself but curious what you did?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, @docque - you still reading this stuff? Are you leaning one way or another yet?

fwiw.... a close friend that has a 14,500 lb rig went from a diesel to a gasser (Ford 6.7 to Ford Godzilla) and now wishes he got the 4.30 gears instead of the 3.73. He doesn't like how it tows, even on the flats in FL, in 10th gear. Now he is saying that he like 9th gear getter even when running empty and thinks he gets a few more 10th of a gallon that way. Id suggest if you go with a gasser then get higher gears. He doesn't go east of the Mississippi ever and just un and down the east coast, so he likes the gas engine option. It does drop down to 7th real quick on hills. When he traveled more he always used a diesel.

No one has mentioned long bed vs. short bed. I just traded out my short bed for a long bed (all else is equal) to allow me to run a Reese Gooseneck. Tons of threads here about hitches and SB vs. LB. I'll say that for every SB I owned I had an auto slider; it's sort of hitch and forget it vs. manual which seems to be hitch and hope when backing.

My rig is 15,500 GVWR but weighs in at about 14,000 to 14,500. I do a lot of traveling all over the country and Canada. I won't be without the diesel simply because it works no matter the terrain; it pulls really well and I don't concern myself about whether this hill or that mountain is claimable, or whether it will handle steep downgrades. Maintenance, cost of fuel, etc (which I find minimal) be damned - the diesel works great for me. I'll get the extra cost out of it on the resale end. I believe it is why you see so many more diesels pulling 5th wheels and so few questions from folks about whether a diesel will get the job done.

One last thought - if trying to decide between 3/4 ton and 1 ton - get a one ton.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are looking at 14k+ lbs for a fifth wheel, that is why. I know I could get away with a gasser but just getting info.
    For a trailer this size you definitely should go for a diesel. Much better fuel economy but the main thing is torque. Modern Diesel engines in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have twice as much torque (pulling power) compared to gas engines. This is very important when you come to hilly or mountainous terrain. You also get engine braking with the Diesel engine, something the gas engine doesn’t offer. Once you have had a late model Diesel engine in a tow vehicle, it would be very hard to go back to a gas engine. The newer diesels are very quiet and smooth, especially if equipped with a 10 speed automatic transmission.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    So, @docque - you still reading this stuff? Are you leaning one way or another yet?

fwiw.... a close friend that has a 14,500 lb rig went from a diesel to a gasser (Ford 6.7 to Ford Godzilla) and now wishes he got the 4.30 gears instead of the 3.73. He doesn't like how it tows, even on the flats in FL, in 10th gear. Now he is saying that he like 9th gear getter even when running empty and thinks he gets a few more 10th of a gallon that way. Id suggest if you go with a gasser then get higher gears. He doesn't go east of the Mississippi ever and just un and down the east coast, so he likes the gas engine option. It does drop down to 7th real quick on hills. When he traveled more he always used a diesel.

No one has mentioned long bed vs. short bed. I just traded out my short bed for a long bed (all else is equal) to allow me to run a Reese Gooseneck. Tons of threads here about hitches and SB vs. LB. I'll say that for every SB I owned I had an auto slider; it's sort of hitch and forget it vs. manual which seems to be hitch and hope when backing.

My rig is 15,500 GVWR but weighs in at about 14,000 to 14,500. I do a lot of traveling all over the country and Canada. I won't be without the diesel simply because it works no matter the terrain; it pulls really well and I don't concern myself about whether this hill or that mountain is claimable, or whether it will handle steep downgrades. Maintenance, cost of fuel, etc (which I find minimal) be damned - the diesel works great for me. I'll get the extra cost out of it on the resale end. I believe it is why you see so many more diesels pulling 5th wheels and so few questions from folks about whether a diesel will get the job done.

One last thought - if trying to decide between 3/4 ton and 1 ton - get a one ton.
    I will add that I am very thankful I decided on the F350 Diesel, Dually. Actually, I never really considered the Gasser, I just knew that Diesel was the way to go.

I will also recommend going with the Long Bed. Yes it is a big truck, but I have never not been able to park it.

I also highly recommend getting the Dually, pulling my 5th wheel with the Dually is simply stable as heck and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Last, I truly Love towing with the GooseBox.

Between the Dually and the GooseBox, my wife and I often ask each other if the camper is still behind us, the ride and towing experience is that good!!!!

PS: definitely go with the one ton !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Trouble At All

Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.
    I have owned a diesel for several years. No issues. DEF is added to a separate tank. 5 gallons lasts a long time. My first diesel did not need DEF. They now require it for emissions. My two interim trucks were gassers…. Pulled fine but moved up to a 5th wheel so chose a diesel. Take a look at power curves for gas engine and diesel and you will know why. Better yet… pull a trailer up a hill and you will see difference. Will never buy a gasser again. My only regret… did not get a dually so limited by payload. Always buy more than what you need at the time. You will want to upgrade what you pull and will not regret it. Good one ton deisels are hard to find… folks hang on to them for a long time. They last forever. Still not cheaper to run… but still have ability to pull a lot uphill ith no struggles. By the time of your post… sounds like a diesel is not one you seriously consider. Good luck… happy camping!
    Harvey & Debra
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Diesel Crewcab
    2021 Solitude 310GK (4th RV)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Did you do that mod yourself or take it in? After watching YouTube vids I'm thinking it's doable myself but curious what you did?
    I searched on line for Tank(s) - found Titan & S&B - both around $1300 - went w S&B as theirs for my F250 was 60 gal, Titan only 55g. I watched YouTubes as well but thought hmmm - best I see who can do who knows and done before. I sourced a local truck diesel work shop - Truck Source Diesel - to maintain an install warranty - let them buy tank at same price and install - all up including $75 worth of fresh diesel fuel $1920 including tank. Labor w tax was about $350 back in Sept 2020.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC22RBE View Post
    I searched on line for Tank(s) - found Titan & S&B - both around $1300 - went w S&B as theirs for my F250 was 60 gal, Titan only 55g. I watched YouTubes as well but thought hmmm - best I see who can do who knows and done before. I sourced a local truck diesel work shop - Truck Source Diesel - to maintain an install warranty - let them buy tank at same price and install - all up including $75 worth of fresh diesel fuel $1920 including tank. Labor w tax was about $350 back in Sept 2020.
    Good to know, thanks for the info. I'll have to think about that. Going to upgrade, just not sure if I'm going to tackle it myself. Will have to check around for a diesel shop and see what they would charge...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 20 gallon RDS auxiliary fuel tank, 20 gallons so it would fit under my tool box and I wouldn't lose any bed space. The truck already had the plumbing installed, and the solenoid valve plumbed and wired in so I was good to go. Cost me about $600 all told. Gives me a little over 50 gallons of fuel total. Enough that I don't have to stop at truck stops, just fill up at the end of the travel day. I have read of a couple people who have had issues, i.e. leaks, with the Titan, and/or S&B tanks. Only a couple and fixed under warranty.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I bought a 20 gallon RDS auxiliary fuel tank, 20 gallons so it would fit under my tool box and I wouldn't lose any bed space. The truck already had the plumbing installed, and the solenoid valve plumbed and wired in so I was good to go. Cost me about $600 all told. Gives me a little over 50 gallons of fuel total. Enough that I don't have to stop at truck stops, just fill up at the end of the travel day. I have read of a couple people who have had issues, i.e. leaks, with the Titan, and/or S&B tanks. Only a couple and fixed under warranty.
    I had thought about an auxiliary tank but we decided on a topper and with the short bed I'd like to keep the space in the bed open for other "essentials". .
    Chad

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It comes with a Skid Plate Extension as well - make sure they install that - they accidentally forgot but I caught it w apologies. They quoted 2.5 hours to do - hence for someone who's done this - think about right. What I really like about this is we can go a good long day or a couple of 1/2 days without needing to fill - granted we are only pulling a 22RBE - close to 6k lbs - but getting on avg. 13 to 14 at around 65 mph with hills. I initially had a F-150 Eco boost 3.5 v6 - would pull - mostly in turbo - 8 mpg. yes diesel is about 10k more - but well worth it all around - torque, mpg and longevity over gusslers.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast