User Tag List

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    So, all this DEF stuff I read and how it is mandatory is not a thing then?
    Oh DEF is definitely required. Your truck will go into "limp in" mode if you run out of it and run at about 20 mph till you get it filled.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=docque;458243]I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.[/QU

Got my first 3/4 ton diesel in June after having a 1/2 ton gasser. There is no comparison in power and gas mileage. Diesel wins hands down in both categories. Two main things that moved me into a diesel are the longevity of the engine (400,000 miles plus) and the power. I was maxed out with my 1/2 ton with a 26' TT. Got into the rockies and had no pedal left at 40 mph on an upgrade. Rather discerning situation. Went from MI to AZ recently and gas mileage was 3-4 mpg better in diesel truck. And then there is the power......passing on an uphill grade between Flagstaff and Phoenix (4-6% grade for 18 miles) and you can pass at will. Its amazing.
    I don't know of any regulations requiring an additive. I haven't used any yet. It is wise to travel with extra DEF. The engine will use more DEF when you're trailering. Just watch you gauge and the warning indicator on your electronic display. Never needed an app for fuel. Diesel was readily available throughout trip.

On a side note, I took a motorcycle trip from MI to Alaska this past summer and kept watching for diesel availability throughout the trip anticipating I might be driving the route with my truck/trailer in the future. I found it readily available there too.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorJoe View Post
    Oh DEF is definitely required. Your truck will go into "limp in" mode if you run out of it and run at about 20 mph till you get it filled.
    I ran out once towing. I was limited to 50 MPH. From what I understand,the limitations progress getting more restrictive every so many miles until it is filled. Not a big deal. You wont be stranded unless you continue to ignore it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I was laughing because now that it is explained better, DEF is to diesel what Jet-Dry is to dishwasher. You keep it full and add as needed.
    Except with DEF we get a gauge on the dash to show us the level just like our fuel. Don't get that for Jet-Dry!
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell you what all us diesel owners are NOT happy about. More than 10 years of faulty high pressure fuel pumps. Blown pumps have been responsible for minor stalls to catastrophic engine failures, some costing tens of thousands of dollars. And it's been going on for more than a decade.

I just got a recall notice for my 2021 Ram. What is most infuriating is that no solution is now available. And there is no timeline for when one will be available and no statement about whether I should be driving the vehicle.

In the meantime I am planning on taking our truck across the country towing our GD trailer.... Yeah is that (NOT!) a good idea!
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DEF is required unless your diesel powered vehicle was manufactured before 2008. Also, some folks have deleted the emissions components (Diesel Particulate Filter, Catalytic Converter and Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve… which essentially liberates your Diesel engine and eliminates the need for DEF. This is only an option if you consider Federal Law ‘Optional’ (only the most liberty-loving & free-thinking among us feel this way though).

Honestly, late model diesels are incredibly capable and manufacturers have integrated the emissions equipment such that you don’t need to delete it to have your Diesel truck do almost anything you want it to do (deleting also voids your manufacturer’s warranty… which could be really expensive). Diesel trucks are more efficient (even with the choking destructive emissions equipment), much higher torque and longer living than their gas brethren… although the disparity in price between gas and diesel is pretty bad just now. They also hold value far better than gassers.

IMO, once you have a diesel, you’ll never go back.
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    I tell you what all us diesel owners are NOT happy about. More than 10 years of faulty high pressure fuel pumps. Blown pumps have been responsible for minor stalls to catastrophic engine failures, some costing tens of thousands of dollars. And it's been going on for more than a decade.

I just got a recall notice for my 2021 Ram. What is most infuriating is that no solution is now available. And there is no timeline for when one will be available and no statement about whether I should be driving the vehicle.

In the meantime I am planning on taking our truck across the country towing our GD trailer.... Yeah is that (NOT!) a good idea!
    Only about 4% failure rate. RV's have a 100% rate of failure with any given part. Chance are you'll need to fix your RV many times before your HPFP goes south.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you diesel guys adding auxiliary tanks, are you factoring the extra weight of the extra fuel in your payload calculations?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Only about 4% failure rate. RV's have a 100% rate of failure with any given part. Chance are you'll need to fix your RV many times before your HPFP goes south.
    So by your math, every part on every rv fails? 100% failure rate? Haha. I have a BIL who's a oem dealer mechanic. The 4% failure rate is much higher, and all the dealer has to say is "bad fuel" and the oem warranty won't cover it. $10k to 20k repair bill... I could put a brand new 7.3 gas motor in for that price.

Diesels have thier place, but are not the end all be all tow vehicle for everyone. "Look up resell values of gas vs diesel they are $8-10k more than gas" Yeah, but they were also $10k-$12k more to begin with.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrycomes View Post
    All you diesel guys adding auxiliary tanks, are you factoring the extra weight of the extra fuel in your payload calculations?
    I always have, but some are a little more cavalier about it. And if you're so close that a little extra fuel will put you over what you consider a safe weight, then, IMO, you cutting it too close anyway.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast