User Tag List

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.

I don't know where you got that ridicules information from, but it is all a lot of BS.
    Besides the long stops between fill ups, the best part is you can go where the trucks go and not have to worry about squeezing into a gas station while towing. Also you can get an EFS or a Gas Buddy Card and save some money. The only problem with the truck lanes is they don't take regular credit cards at the pump, which means two long walks to the office unless you have the above mentioned cards. They are used at the pump. I don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but DEF goes into a separate tank. On a trip from southern NC to northern PA and back I topped off the DEF tank once on my way home all the while pulling my Solitude and that included driving around northern PA for a few days (truck only).
    Last edited by Malco1; 12-05-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Bad spelling
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    Dude,

We aren't talking about entire RVs here. The topic is diesel engines, are they worth the hassle.
    So we are talking about diesel engines in RV chassis and/or the pickup trucks that tow our GD trailers.
    And I am talking about an industry wide problem, all manufacturers, all brands, all size engines.

Anyway, a 4% fail rate in a major engine component one that will kill a $15,000 engine, is far, far, far from acceptable to any ordinary automotive manufacturer. (We are NOT talking about the rest of the RV here).

Add in the fact that the defect has been known for over 10 years.
    Add that manufacturers fight to avoid paying legit warranty claims.
    Add in that repair parts, including engines, have been unavailable for months, leaving owners high and dry for 1 to 12 months waiting for repairs and recall completions.
    Add in that manufacturers are refusing to pay for alternative transportation for affected owners.

And that's why so many are P'd off.

Just take a few minutes to do an internet search for fuel pump related diesel engine failures, recalls, lawsuits. The results are ugly. Ugly enough to give anyone second thoughts about buying another diesel. Even me, and I like my diesel truck aLOT.

And how do you know the defect rate is 4%? Source please. I could not find one in an admittedly quick search.
    I’ve had (4) F-350/450 6.7’s over the last 12 years and put maybe 180K miles on them towing big heavy 5’ers. I’ve not had a single fuel pump problem. I also know probably a half dozen others that have similar stories (no major engine problems… including fuel pumps). These late model trucks have 3 stages of fuel filtration… so I don’t really understand how/why you wouldn’t have really clean fuel that reaches the high pressure pump.

That said, the fuel systems on these trucks is quite something (the high pressure pump produces something like 30,000 PSI). I’ve read that today’s Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel has reduced lubricity (these pumps rely on the fuel to lubricate). Still, the benefits (and sometimes you just flat out need the capability) of a diesel will outweighs these reliability concerns… according to me
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Hope DW doesn't read your post
    LOL....me too! Well, she has made it to the 70 year mark and has never weighed over about 120 lbs, so I guess the odds are definitely in her favor.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMitt70 View Post
    I’ve had (4) F-350/450 6.7’s over the last 12 years and put maybe 180K miles on them towing big heavy 5’ers. I’ve not had a single fuel pump problem. I also know probably a half dozen others that have similar stories (no major engine problems… including fuel pumps). These late model trucks have 3 stages of fuel filtration… so I don’t really understand how/why you wouldn’t have really clean fuel that reaches the high pressure pump.

That said, the fuel systems on these trucks is quite something (the high pressure pump produces something like 30,000 PSI). I’ve read that today’s Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel has reduced lubricity (these pumps rely on the fuel to lubricate). Still, the benefits (and sometimes you just flat out need the capability) of a diesel will outweighs these reliability concerns… according to me
    The lubricity problem was why I was adding Opti-Lube to the fuel for my 2015 Silverado Duramax. Tests were showing that it added lubricant and helped the Bosch pump work better. The Bosch pump is mounted on the engine and pulls the fuel from the tank.) I did trade for a 2019 GMC Duramax Turbo, that has a Denso (US-made pump, mounted on the fuel tank) and works well with the low-sulfur fuel we use, but I still use the Opti-lube (my choice - nothing says I "need" to). The difference between the gas truck I used to haul my old Sprinter 5th wheel with and the diesel I pull the Reflection with is night and day. I'd never go back!
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfingerlakes View Post
    The lubricity problem was why I was adding Opti-Lube to the fuel for my 2015 Silverado Duramax. Tests were showing that it added lubricant and helped the Bosch pump work better. The Bosch pump is mounted on the engine and pulls the fuel from the tank.) I did trade for a 2019 GMC Duramax Turbo, that has a Denso (US-made pump, mounted on the fuel tank) and works well with the low-sulfur fuel we use, but I still use the Opti-lube (my choice - nothing says I "need" to). The difference between the gas truck I used to haul my old Sprinter 5th wheel with and the diesel I pull the Reflection with is night and day. I'd never go back!
    If you are buying fuel with Bio Diesel mixed in the Lubricity problem goes away because the Bio Diesel has very high Lubricity properties.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    If you are buying fuel with Bio Diesel mixed in the Lubricity problem goes away because the Bio Diesel has very high Lubricity properties.
    It's my understanding that when using Bio is you need to change your fuel filters more often.

This is per Ram
    Due to the solvent nature of B20, and the potential for ‘cleaning’ of the vehicle fuel tank and lines, new fuel filters must be installed when switching to B20 on used engines. Fuel filters will need to be replaced at half the standard interval for the next two fuel filter changes. After this initial period, you may revert to the intervals specified in your O & M manual.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfingerlakes View Post
    I’ve also read (from reliable sources within the Diesel fuel management industry) that the number one risk factor for the Bosch CP4.2 pump failure (currently used by Ford and Dodge) is pump cavitation (running out of fuel). I ran our 2018 F-350 6.7 out of fuel and drove it another 40K miles (no problems… Probably lucky).

I think good practice is to follow recommended fuel filter changes (for the frame mount and engine mount filters), buy fuel from retailers that have high fuel turnover and (most importantly) DON’T run out of fuel (many things can happen when you do and none of them are good). I hadn’t considered the fuel additive to increase lubricity (But I may now…thanks for sharing).
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMitt70 View Post
    I’ve also read (from reliable sources within the Diesel fuel management industry) that the number one risk factor for the Bosch CP4.2 pump failure (currently used by Ford and Dodge) is pump cavitation (running out of fuel). I ran our 2018 F-350 6.7 out of fuel and drove it another 40K miles (no problems… Probably lucky).

I think good practice is to follow recommended fuel filter changes (for the frame mount and engine mount filters), buy fuel from retailers that have high fuel turnover and (most importantly) DON’T run out of fuel (many things can happen when you do and none of them are good). I hadn’t considered the fuel additive to increase lubricity (But I may now…thanks for sharing).
    It's the crappy low grade diesel thats the issue. Just not enough lubriscosity for American CP4's.
    I just got back from dropping off my 19 Ram CTD for a 3rd brake light leak fix. Talked to the service rep and got the run down on the CP4. Do not run Bio (B20) Also if the CP4 goes then I'm screwed which I already new. My dealer is a decent size dealer and since the recall they've only done 20 CP4-CP3 change outs. I asked what the wait list time was. He said 1 yr. What sucks is thats just for the 2020's. There's still no fix for the 19's. He said I'd be better off having it fail vs waiting to get a recall fix. At least I'd be put to the front of the line. Interesting that they can fix my 19 if it fails but they won't authorize a recall fix yet. WT heck.

He also said to start running a fuel additive with lubriscosity. Seems like a cheap no brainer.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    It's the crappy low grade diesel thats the issue. Just not enough lubriscosity for American CP4's.
    I just got back from dropping off my 19 Ram CTD for a 3rd brake light leak fix. Talked to the service rep and got the run down on the CP4. Do not run Bio (B20) Also if the CP4 goes then I'm screwed which I already new. My dealer is a decent size dealer and since the recall they've only done 20 CP4-CP3 change outs. I asked what the wait list time was. He said 1 yr. What sucks is thats just for the 2020's. There's still no fix for the 19's. He said I'd be better off having it fail vs waiting to get a recall fix. At least I'd be put to the front of the line. Interesting that they can fix my 19 if it fails but they won't authorize a recall fix yet. WT heck.

He also said to start running a fuel additive with lubriscosity. Seems like a cheap no brainer.
    It could be worse. Ram is at least taking care of the issue...Supply chains being what they are, people are waiting for all sorts of things.

I lived under the CP4 cloud for 9 years with my 2011 Dmax. It never failed, but I was acutly that everytime I started it, could be the time it gernaded.
    That said, the crappy fuel is just an excuse. Other pumps run on it just fine. That said adding lubricant will not stop the pump piston roller from turning sideways in its bore relative to the cam. That pump has no mechanism to keep it from happening. When it does is when your number is up.
    I have followed this for the 9 years I had my 2011, and failures seem to be totally random. Some ran additives, some added lift pumps, some prayed over it. None that seemed to make a difference If you still want run an additive, it is your money.
    I never did.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    It could be worse. Ram is at least taking care of the issue...Supply chains being what they are, people are waiting for all sorts of things.

I lived under the CP4 cloud for 9 years with my 2011 Dmax. It never failed, but I was acutly that everytime I started it, could be the time it gernaded.
    That said, the crappy fuel is just an excuse. Other pumps run on it just fine. That said adding lubricant will not stop the pump piston roller from turning sideways in its bore relative to the cam. That pump has no mechanism to keep it from happening. When it does is when your number is up.
    I have followed this for the 9 years I had my 2011, and failures seem to be totally random. Some ran additives, some added lift pumps, some prayed over it. None that seemed to make a difference If you still want run an additive, it is your money.
    I never did.
    Ah, but did anyone sacrifice a live chicken?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast