Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anderson WDH vs. Blue Ox Sway Pro Need help with experiences/decision

Tow vehicle is a Ford F-250 w/diesel.
    RV is a new 2400BH

Dealer offered free hitch with weight distribution and anti-sway. The one they were going to throw in was a traditional chain setup with separate friction anti-sway flat bar mounted on the side. The more I read the less I liked this solution so been doing some reading.

I really like both the Anderson and the Blue Ox SwayPro designs.
    I don't need a ton of weight distributing with the truck (it has airbags and is setup for towing 5th wheels and gooseneck trailers from another life). I live in NM and we will be doing a lot of traveling up and down the rockies. Regularly see a bunch of crosswinds so want something that will have longevity and good anti-sway.

Thanks for any assistance. Need to make decision soon. The dealer is giving me a credit for the one they were going to include but I need to tell them which one to order by Tuesday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had both. Blue Ox now. Still has chains but you can back up without taking that squeaky “sway bar” off. So that’s good. I’d go with blue ox vs the one with the breaker bar (blue ox uses a wrench) but they are all kind of a [necessary] PITA. It helps to lock the ball and raise the tongue to take tension off, otherwise you will get skinned knuckles (or worse) at some point. DAMHIK
    George & Lani
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used an Anderson so I can't really compare. The people that use them seem to like them. I have used a Blue Ox SwayPro on several trailers and I know they work really well. I have had two Blue Ox SwayPro. I sold the first one when I bought a 5th wheel back in 2012. A few years later I decided to down size and went back to a TT. I then bought another Blue Ox SwayPro. I have now gone back to a 5th wheel but I have kept my SwayPro. Some day I may change again and just might need it. The Blue Ox SwayPro is a great hitch. I really think it would be hard to beat.

I do think your decision to not go with a traditional chain setup with separate friction anti-sway flat bar mounted on the side was a good one. I have used several of them and even though they do work (kinda) they don't work any where near as well as some of the other hitches with built in sway control. They are worth the extra money IMHO.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments, though I like the lightweight of the Anderson I do like the way the Blue Ox is setup, seems quite rugged.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SeanandKandace--this is for you, too.

@Tindjin
    The Blue Ox does it's primary job nearly perfectly--I am very pleased with the sway control of my 315RLTS in towing conditions. Even in crosswinds where Fran and I witnessed other rigs getting blown all over the road, our setup was rock solid. (The dually probably helps, too.)

What I do not like--passionately--is the chain tightening and release process. Having to raise the trailer and truck (while connected) with the trailer's powered tongue jack is in itself ridiculous. That jack is rated for 3,500lbs and it strains to get my outfit high enough. Even with the jack as high as it will go (almost coming to a halt under load!) there is still significant tension on my 2,000# bars. Even Blue Ox's instruction manual states (with a yellow exclamation point next to it): The latch will rotate quickly when the locking pin is released. Ensure you have control of the wrench when releasing. They aren't kidding.

Which leads to the "Rotating Latch Wrench" Blue Ox gives you with the hitch. Toss that thing. Get a good breaker bar and quality socket. Even with the breaker bar I've had it fly out of my hands with the bar impacting the front of the trailer. (First ding on the TT.) Then the top of my hand scraped along the top of the propane cover during one release, ripping off some skin. One time I forgot to put the chain on the other side of the mechanism and it spun around and destroyed the bottom corner of the propane cover.

I don't know why I have so much trouble. Others do not. I think it's @Chiefblueman (aka Kim) who says he can get his loose enough that his wife can release the tension with one hand. I can't explain the difference in our experiences. As I mentioned in this thread my Dad was watching me practice with my setup and he commented, "That looks dangerous." Yep. I don't like it.

So what am I thinking of trying? I'm contemplating replacing the Blue Ox's Clamp-On Rotating Latch with Pro Pride's Weight Distribution Jack. I haven't had time to fully investigate the feasibility, but having a way (using a powered drill) to raise and lower the Blue Ox's bar is tempting.

Edit: I just noted it looks like you're new--welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by howson; 11-27-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had the Anderson, and liked how easy it was to hitch/unhitch. Despite other web comments, I had no issue with full transfer of weight to the front, although I did have to tighten the chains fully to get to that point.
    In my case, however, I got trailer sway. My 2670 is 6 ft longer than your trailer, so that may be part of it - more tail to wag the dog. 2670 MK also is notorious for being too light on the tongue, so prone to sway naturally. The Anderson relies on a tapered cone and friction socket to damp sway - more weight on the ball makes more friction. That may also have been a factor - not enough tongue weight, so not enough friction to resist sway from starting. It has a lot of advantages, but whichever hitch you decide on, I would try to bargain heavily with the dealer for return privileges for either within a fair test period.

Just gotta add: you note you have an F-250. Towing should be great. BUT, double check your available payload capacity. While GD advertises the tongue weight as being 505 lbs, that is completely unrealistic. If you get to fully loaded for that trailer, it could easily get to near 900 lbs, or maybe a bit more! Then you will need the weight distribution. Since you previously towed a 5th, probably not an issue...just that I've seen a lot of 250's that have surprisingly light payloads!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    @SeanandKandace--this is for you, too.

@Tindjin
    The Blue Ox does it's primary job nearly perfectly--I am very pleased with the sway control of my 315RLTS in towing conditions. Even in crosswinds where Fran and I witnessed other rigs getting blown all over the road, our setup was rock solid. (The dually probably helps, too.)

What I do not like--passionately--is the chain tightening and release process. Having to raise the trailer and truck (while connected) with the trailer's powered tongue jack is in itself ridiculous. That jack is rated for 3,500lbs and it strains to get my outfit high enough. Even with the jack as high as it will go (almost coming to a halt under load!) there is still significant tension on my 2,000# bars. Even Blue Ox's instruction manual states (with a yellow exlamation point next to it): The latch will rotate quickly when the locking pin is released. Ensure you have control of the wrench when releasing. They aren't kidding.

Which leads to the "Rotating Latch Wrench" Blue Ox gives you with the hitch. Toss that thing. Get a good breaker bar and quality socket. Even with the breaker bar I've had it fly out of my hands with the bar impacting the front of the trailer. (First ding on the TT.) Then the top of my hand scraped along the top of the propane cover during one release, ripping off some skin. One time I forgot to put the chain on the other side of the mechanism and it spun around and destroyed the bottom corner of the propane cover.

I don't know why I have so much trouble. Others do not. I think it's @Chiefblueman (aka Kim) who says he can get his loose enough that his wife can release the tension with one hand. I can't explain the difference in our experiences. As I mentioned in this thread my Dad was watching me practice with my setup and he commented, "That looks dangerous." Yep. I don't like it.

So what am I thinking of trying? I'm contemplating replacing the Blue Ox's Clamp-On Rotating Latch with Pro Pride's Weight Distribution Jack. I haven't had time to fully investigate the feasibility, but having a way (using a powered drill) to raise and lower the Blue Ox's bar is tempting.

Edit: I just noted it looks like you're new--welcome to the forum!
    Thanks Howard.

Sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my comments on the Sway Pro at http://www.klenger.net/sway-pro.html

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanandKandace View Post
    Thanks Howard.

Sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi Sean, CBM here. Everything Howard says is true, although what I said about my wife was that she could release the chains. I meant using the wrench. I have raised the truck enough to be able to release the chains without even using a wrench. That is extreme and was an experiment. Normally I raise the tongue of the trailer enough to lessen tension on the bars. This is pretty easy and I don't feel like it's straining the jack. Remember, the tongue is supported by the truck's suspension before jacking. You aren't raising the full tongue weight until you reach the unhitched ride height. The truck springs apply some lift to this point. After this point, you are not lifting the entire truck. I can lift the rear of my truck about an inch by hand. I'm not lifting the entire weight of the truck, I'm assisted by the springs. In Howard's case, he has added another 1200 or so lbs with his Gold Wing and lifting device in the bed of the truck.

At any rate, I raise the tongue of the trailer while locked to the truck until I see most of the deflection come out of the bars. I'm then able to release the chains using a 2ft long breaker bar and socket with one hand and in control. Then I lower the tongue while applying pressure to the ball release until it releases. This is about 3 or 4 inches.

The Sway Pro is a great hitch. I had the Equalizer on my previous trailer. While also a good hitch, I much prefer the Blue Ox. My 38ft 315RLTS is unaffected by passing semis. I have towed in 40 mph crosswinds crossing the Columbia River and was happy with the hitch. Yes, the wind affected the rig and attention was required but not a white knuckle experience. I was caught off guard that day, not realizing the wind would be that strong on the bridge and would normally stop under these conditions. Glad I had the Blue Ox.

The Andersen may work well for you. The 2400BH is a much smaller and lighter trailer than mine. I really wanted the Andersen to work but after a lot of research on the internet decided it would not provide the weight distribution or sway control I needed. I think the Equalizer would be something you might want to look into.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    See my comments on the Sway Pro at http://www.klenger.net/sway-pro.html
    Your site was actually one that got me really thinking about the Sway Pro. Thanks for a great write up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast