User Tag List

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    The sad part is that the thread you referenced was 2015, and it would seem that GD is aware, but the same issues continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ever look behind the dash on most of the big name boats? Same type of electrical work.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Ever look behind the dash on most of the big name boats? Same type of electrical work.
    This has not been my experience (at least on larger boats). To get insurance, you need a survey. A marine surveyor evaluates things against ABYC requirements. This “check and balance” system works because the surveyors are not compensated by the manufacturers (unlike RVIA).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    This has not been my experience (at least on larger boats). To get insurance, you need a survey. A marine surveyor evaluates things against ABYC requirements. This “check and balance” system works because the surveyors are not compensated by the manufacturers (unlike RVIA).

Rob
    I'm speaking of most runabouts out there in the 18-25 Ft range. Spaghetti with scotch locks and butt connectors galore. At least this was the case on my Four Winns. Its not a Pursuit but then our campers are not Airstreams.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say that I’m a bit shocked by the shoddy workmanship presented here. As a newbie, this is really nerve wracking! I’m not sure I’m qualified to drop the chloroplast, but fear that it’s something I must do to make sure it’s safe.
    I’m still reeling from all of the talk about flat/broken springs and too light axle load ratings on my Imagine. Now this! It’s crazy! I traded my less than one-year old Jayco for this trailer because the company was so highly recommended. Now I’m really questioning my decision.
    I guess we will deal with it as it comes, but it seems a shame we have to.
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, can you provide a picture or a link to electrical connectors you'd recommend. I will be replacing the the wire nuts when I drop the coroplast and want to use the right connectors.

Thanks !
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
    I must say that I’m a bit shocked by the shoddy workmanship presented here.
    Vince-
    I wouldn't worry a bit about your decision to go with Grand Design. Virtually all RV manufacturers get away with these building practices because they all do the same thing. There is no competitor that takes the time to clean up electrical/plumbing runs and organize the "underbelly" so they have no incentive to change.

Grand Design sets themselves apart from many other builders by providing excellent customer service. Maybe some day a company will come along and pay attention to detail in the areas customers can't see. If they did, they would set themselves apart and get a cult following from people like us who care about these things.

I was shocked when I opened the rear panel in the cargo bay of our Reflection three years ago but not because anything was broken or didn't work properly. Just because I have OCD and would never build something that looked that sloppy. It makes customers think the builder has dropped the ball in other areas. When I opened the rear access panel in the cargo bay of our Solitude I saw what I expected. A mess. But, everything works great so I just close the panel when I'm done messing in there. Stresses me out just thinking of cleaning up the wires and plumbing.

I did take a quick glance and look for wires that might chafe on metal, etc. but I didn't see anything obvious that concerned me. In fact, there were several areas where wires were anchored rather than flopping around which surprised me.
    Last edited by bertschb; 12-26-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Rob, can you provide a picture or a link to electrical connectors you'd recommend. I will be replacing the the wire nuts when I drop the coroplast and want to use the right connectors.

Thanks !
    Hi Jim,

It will not surprise you to learn that I am a huge fan of Weatherpack connectors. I have a huge assortment of these and use them everywhere. https://www.weatherpack.com (Of course . . . I am in Florida and my "Weather Pack Kit" is in Ontario )
    For anything that might need to be taken apart or removed for service, I prefer Weatherpack.

For connection that need to be "permanent" I like to use heat shrink crimp connectors. these meet ABYC specs because the wire is crimped (and of course I don't scrimp on the quality of the crimping too). Then there is a second means of waterproof connection from one wire insulation to the other as you heat shrink the glue filled tube.

For bigger stuff, terminal strips, switches, etc I usually go shopping Blue Seas. https://www.bluesea.com Not cheap, but the most affordable of the truly marine designed components. For attachment to terminal strips, I always use heat shrink ring terminals (rather than spade terminals) Take a little longer to install because you have to completely remove the screw . . . but, the connector will not fall off the screw, even if it works itself loose.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    Anyone who leads any significant business, especially manufacturing, who hasn't heard of Deming and his approach to quality, is either poorly educated in business or just ignorant of business/manufacturing history. If their 'quality assurance' process doesn't include some inspection at different levels of the build process, it is just a joke. To inspect only after the thing is built is not quality assurance.
    Curious, is any of this shoddy work visible on the factory tour or are these sections isolated from the crowd? A wiring harness designed for each coach would raise quality and save on cost in the long run.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some front underbelly pictures - Solitude 310 mfg Oct 2018 which has not been anywhere other than to the dealer and our storage lot (still waiting for truck ordered in Sep) and is winterized. We did not find the mystery source of water in the basement, either condensation of something we put in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solitude 310 Basement 1.JPG   Solitude 310 Basement 2.JPG   Solitude 310 Basement 3.JPG  

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian,
    Thanks for the reassurance. My experience has been great with my dealer and GD on customer service. I’m just one of those guys who,likes to see everything done well. We years of carpentry and woodworking has made me a bit OCD about this stuff. I’m glad I know about it now so I won’t freak out if I ever need to drop the cloroplast.
    Another reason why I like this forum...cool heads with lots of great info. I even appreciate the stuff I don’t understand!
    Thanks to all...HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast