User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the tips. Picking up the unit on Monday and taking it back home. Hopefully it will go smoothly and won't have to backup over snow covered ground. I'll ask my wife to help me with backing up.

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also- Don't be cranking the steering wheel frantically all the way one way to make a correction. SMALL MOVEMENTS! Your always going to have to return the steering whence it came, so to minimize the see-sawing use the least amount of steering necessary. You can always apply some more opposite lock. Turn towards the trouble is another old saying-if the trailer starts to move left or right, gently turn the steering wheel that way (towards the "trouble") to correct. And do look for a large practice area. There are also a few good YouTube videos on backing RV's. Finally, watch others. Even hang out at a truck stop and watch how the pros set up their rigs for a spot and maneuver into it. Yes, my Ford has that camera gizmo. I end up using the mirrors old school way................

DD.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luke79 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. Picking up the unit on Monday and taking it back home. Hopefully it will go smoothly and won't have to backup over snow covered ground. I'll ask my wife to help me with backing up.
    Get walkie talkies for you and your spotter/wife. invaluable! and the key word, is, STOP! Then get out and look. You will be glad.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Get walkie talkies for you and your spotter/wife. invaluable! and the key word, is, STOP! Then get out and look. You will be glad.
    GREAT advice from Dallas @D2Reid in post 17. Can't think of much to add to that .
    A caution on the walkie talkies . . . we tried these but they can lose signal at the most inappropriate times. "Nothing heard" does not mean "keep backing up" . . . ask me how I know this. Hand signals are the only immediate information that always works.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    GREAT advice from Dallas @D2Reid in post 17. Can't think of much to add to that .
    A caution on the walkie talkies . . . we tried these but they can lose signal at the most inappropriate times. "Nothing heard" does not mean "keep backing up" . . . ask me how I know this. Hand signals are the only immediate information that always works.

Rob
    Sure, IF your spotter keeps in your mirror. Mine wont! No matter haw many times I reiterate it. Or use your phone.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Sure, IF your spotter keeps in your mirror. Mine wont! No matter haw many times I reiterate it. Or use your phone.
    We have experienced that "failure to communicate" . I just stop and wait for my spotter to appear in the mirrors . . .this is usually accompanied by hand signals relating to "what are you waiting for ??" I don't think I can post those hand signals here .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does G.O.A.L. stand for get out and laugh???? Sorry, trucker humor........😊

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottom line is the person behind the wheel is ultimately responsible for safe parking. There are thousands of marriage stressing communication stories about RV parking. I have seen truly great communication and cooperation from couples, I have seen screaming anger and shouting also. I know my wife doesn't "get it", it's ok, I compensate, take my time, double check, and truly appreciate it when she yells stop, via radio, phone, or in my ear, I am just glad for the help.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone use backup cameras that can be mounted at the back of the trailer? I'd imagine they are a lot of help.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Dallas, is it possible your wife has a long lost sister living in the PNW?
    Nope Barb is pretty unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    5. Whatcha fly(flew)?
    Private Pilot Single Engine Fixed, then 37 years as an Air Traffic Controller....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast