User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check Your Wheel Bearings

Today I decided to check the wheel bearings on my 2019 2970RS. Knowing how shoddy rv's are built and hearing some horror stories on tires and axle bearings I decided to do some PMS. I pulled the right side wheels and they were ok but not what I call good so I repacked the bearings and replaced the grease seals. When I pulled the left side I found both outter bearings basically dry and had signs of excessive heat. There was very little grease in both left wheels. I am posting this as a warning to folks that think these units are built with any quality control. If you don't want a surprise on the interstate you may want to check your wheel bearings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokensalem View Post
    Today I decided to check the wheel bearings on my 2019 2970RS. Knowing how shoddy rv's are built and hearing some horror stories on tires and axle bearings I decided to do some PMS. I pulled the right side wheels and they were ok but not what I call good so I repacked the bearings and replaced the grease seals. When I pulled the left side I found both outter bearings basically dry and had signs of excessive heat. There was very little grease in both left wheels. I am posting this as a warning to folks that think these units are built with any quality control. If you don't want a surprise on the interstate you may want to check your wheel bearings.
    We used to have a problem with too much grease, causing brakes to get greased
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will mobile guys so the hubs usually?

Anyone have it done? What should it cost?
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hubs are easy lube are they not? A couple of pumps before each outing is advisable, or so I was told. After first year, pump in enough to exchange the grease, then maybe every couple of years, YMMV.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Hubs are easy lube are they not? A couple of pumps before each outing is advisable, or so I was told. After first year, pump in enough to exchange the grease, then maybe every couple of years, YMMV.
    There’s been a lot of discussions here about this, but in general it’s advised to pull the bearing, inspect it, and repack by hand. The easy lube has a tendency to blow out the seal and contaminate the brake, and also does not allow you to check on the bearing at all.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understand completely. For those who like to wrench, check your bearings.The easy lube is not easy if you do it right IMO. The wheel must be spun counterclockwise and the grease slowly pumped in. Have done this a number of times, never on the current unit, but a number of times on other units. No issues with blown seals so far. A couple of pumps before each trip ensures bearings are not dry.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember Colan posted on Bearing Service - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...earing-Service
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    The ez lube hubs do not get the grease in the bearings. you will see that when you pull them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We owned our last trailer for 9.5 years, a Keystone Outback 230RS. We mostly did 3 - 6 hour (one way) trips from our home. But we did 65 trips and 432 days camping in that trailer! In all that time,,, I had the bearings repacked and brakes checked ONCE - and just before our last 2 - 2000+ mile trips I used the EZ lube hubs and ran the grease through until I could see no more old grease coming out. (New grease was red, old grease was gray). In the 4000 mile + towed after using the EZ lube re-grease method we had ZERO problems. For the amount of work it would take to remove 4 tires, seals, and bearings, I think I will continue to use the EZ lube hub the way it was designed to be used, and save the tire removal for the occasional brake inspections. (Besides, you really should replace the seals every time you pull the hub. Not replacing those seals is just as dangerous as blowing them out with the EZ lube system IMHO).

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When doing something as important as wheel bearing maintenance, I don't trust what I can't see.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast