User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fsgarrett View Post
    Can you provide more information on the disc brakes you installed (had installed)? This is on my to-do list as I am tired of having to adjust my drum brakes after every long trip.
    A friend and I installed them and I got them from: (I think he can also can put you in touch with installers):

Bill Halasyn
    Regional Sales Manager
    (813) 363-4685
    www.stopyourtrailer.com
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuggs View Post
    So I just had the experience of towing my friends Landmark 5th wheel about 1K miles. He just had the Morryde IS and disc brake upgrade. Honestly I noticed a huge upgrade with the brakes but now so much with the suspension compared to my stock suspension on my Solitude. I towed them back to back on the same roads and I just didn’t feel it. That being said I definitely want the brake upgrade and some kind of suspension upgrade just to make it stronger and safer.
    Any comments on the Morryde SRE upgrade kits?
    Thanks for the info
    Don
    I just spoke with Brian Hosinski at MORryde and set up my appointment for next April to put the full meal deal IS and disc brakes on my 375. He also said that most of the big Solitude owners are going the 8K route to get the heavier steel and hardware but they can do a little softer rubber in the "springs" to soften the ride a little. I plan on full timing in this thing and really traveling in it in a few short years. That's of course if I don't go broke first from hanging around on this site!! FYI for those thinking of doing it, he said he had some cancellations and has spots open in September and October. I was also thinking of having a transport company pull it up there but he heavily recommended I bring it with my truck. They measure it hooked up and level with the leaf springs first and then set the height and everything so that's its level after the conversion. Interesting. Sounds to me like they really know what they are doing!!
    Last edited by Txfivver; 08-20-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: add'l info
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Txfivver,

I get the feeling Brian tries to upsell everyone to 8K. I got the same "everyone does it" pitch on my little Momentum. Just remember that the heavier 8K system adds weight that reduces your cargo carrying capacity - assuming you want to stay within your GVWR. The capacity loss could be an issue if full timing.

They run a 10% winter discount too. It's either October or November through March. Definitely you should be happy with the results whatever you do. Our tech's name was Brenten. He was really good. I documented the install in this thread.
    Last edited by Luv2Ski; 09-04-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Ski View Post
    Just remember that the heavier 8K system adds weight that reduces your cargo carrying capacity - assuming you want to stay within your GVWR. The capacity loss could be an issue if full timing.
    Not quite true. A heavier suspension system does add weight on the scales - but the weight is only on the suspension system and not the chassis. The CCC of the chassis is not affected.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Not quite true. A heavier suspension system does add weight on the scales - but the weight is only on the suspension system and not the chassis. The CCC of the chassis is not affected.

Rob
    While I completely agree with this statement in real life, IMO it is also technically false.

CCC inst a chassis measurement it is the whole unit as one. CCC is GVWR minus the empty weight of the trailer. Everything added to the trailer reduces remaining payload(CCC). It doesn't matter were that weight is located. Unless morryde or someone else has issued a new sticker your rated CCC will be lower.

To paraphrase a favorite argument of the weight police:
    If your in an accident and they weigh the trailer and you used the old CCC after installing IS you will be overweight (at least according to that sticker). It wont matter what improvements you have done, it wont matter that the weight is not being carried by the chassis, your world will explode and all sorts of bad things will happen.

Now in real life one could argue that you could even carry more after an IS install. Between the subframe, MUCH MUCH more stout suspension, and the smoother ride transferring less abuse to the trailer it should be more capable.

It all depends on if you want to use common sense or live and die by that sticker. IMO throw in disk brakes and your running a safer rig "overloaded" than any stock unit out there running empty.

YMMV
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    While I completely agree with this statement in real life, IMO it is also technically false.

CCC inst a chassis measurement it is the whole unit as one. CCC is GVWR minus the empty weight of the trailer. Everything added to the trailer reduces remaining payload(CCC). It doesn't matter were that weight is located. Unless morryde or someone else has issued a new sticker your rated CCC will be lower.

To paraphrase a favorite argument of the weight police:
    If your in an accident and they weigh the trailer and you used the old CCC after installing IS you will be overweight (at least according to that sticker). It wont matter what improvements you have done, it wont matter that the weight is not being carried by the chassis, your world will explode and all sorts of bad things will happen.

Now in real life one could argue that you could even carry more after an IS install. Between the subframe, MUCH MUCH more stout suspension, and the smoother ride transferring less abuse to the trailer it should be more capable.

It all depends on if you want to use common sense or live and die by that sticker. IMO throw in disk brakes and your running a safer rig "overloaded" than any stock unit out there running empty.

YMMV
    I would also posit that commercial regulations don't apply to the general public, hence no requirement to cross scales at weigh stations. I agree an egregious amount of extra weight may be of concern but a mild addition of unsprung weight would cause me no concern. If you're 10lbs over are you breakin' the law? Nope. I would want to keep the combination within the truck's GCVWR.

Kinda makes one wonder what would happen without stickers.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Kinda makes one wonder what would happen without stickers.
    Half of this forum would disappear.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Half of this forum would disappear.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    I agree that the additional weight added is not significant in this case. That's why I qualified it by saying "assuming you want to stay within your GVWR".

That said, an upgrade from 7K factory to an 8K IS suspension doesn't provide an extra 3,000 lbs. capacity (2,000 lbs. on a tandem) unless the tire load rating, wheels, brakes, frame and pinbox are also rated for it. If MORryde is also doing the disc brakes, they will size them appropriately. The IS is a very robust system, light years better than factory. That's why I was completely comfortable staying with 7K and the same tires and wheels.
    Last edited by Luv2Ski; 09-06-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Ski View Post
    Txfivver,

I get the feeling Brian tries to upsell everyone to 8K. I got the same "everyone does it" pitch on my little Momentum. Just remember that the heavier 8K system adds weight that reduces your cargo carrying capacity - assuming you want to stay within your GVWR. The capacity loss could be an issue if full timing.

They run a 10% winter discount too. It's either October or November through March. Definitely you should be happy with the results whatever you do. Our tech's name was Brenten. He was really good. I documented the install in this thread.
    Thank you Steve for the info. I did take his 8K recommendation with a grain of salt and will research it more before next spring. My only thought was my Solitude already scaled at 12700 on the axles and it wasn't fully loaded for bear. In my mind it could get to 14k pretty easily so that's why I was thinking the 8K setup, for a little cushion. We'll see how it goes. I am definitely getting it done though, the 375 is a keeper!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast