User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for all of the responses!

1) My 5th wheel is a 2014 Grand Design Solitude ST379FL.
    2) The power problem appears to be the 120v connection. Not the battery.
    3) I have already replaced the battery in October as it was bad. I do have battery back-up when the power goes off.
    4) I also have a surge suppressor on the pedestal outside. I did not think to go look outside to see if there were any error codes. Just not something I am used to thinking about.
    5) The pedestal is still with power when this happens as my safety light remains lit. I have not gone outside to check to see if the cord/connection was hot or not.
    6) The power comes back on by itself after about 3-5 minutes or so.
    7) I am a little leary when this happens as I was part of the power shutoffs in CA last October and was not prepared for how to handle it. That is how I found out my battery was bad. NO POWER of any kind at that time.

I do so appreciate all of the suggestions. Nice to know I can find help across the miles!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleys53 View Post
    4) I also have a surge suppressor on the pedestal outside. !
    Can you tell us what surge suppressor you have - make and model? Any chance it is an EMS like the ones made by Progressive Industries? These are designed to turn off power to the RV if they detect a problem with the incoming power (e.g. low voltage).
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2) The power problem appears to be the 120v connection. Not the battery.
    3) I have already replaced the battery in October as it was bad. I do have battery back-up when the power goes off.
    When you said in your original post "my entire 5th wheel has gone dark" did you not mean that the lights failed too?

If the trailer's lights go out when the 120V power is removed then there is a problem with the battery and/or the converter, even if you replaced the battery a few months ago.

Does "battery back-up when the power goes off" mean that the trailer's lights remained operational? The 12V battery circuit is not "backup" for them, it is the sole source of power for them. 120V power is involved only as the source of power for the converter device that keeps the battery charged.

4) I also have a surge suppressor on the pedestal outside. I did not think to go look outside to see if there were any error codes. Just not something I am used to thinking about.
    @SmallBoxMaker is wise about suspecting this. The EMS might be working as it should, protecting your trailer from power quality problems in the park. It's also possible that the device is malfunctioning. While it's not at all common some have reported their EMS killing power when the voltage was within safe operating range, because the EMS was maladjusted at the factory and sensed that the voltage was higher than it actually was.

However, again, this would not make your lights go dark.

6) The power comes back on by itself after about 3-5 minutes or so.
    This is typical of EMS shutdown, though ours has more often reset in a minute or so.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A). Will it display a code history that I can review? I haven't paid much attention to it up until now.

Kelley
    2014 Solitude 379FL

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A). Will it display a code history that I can review? I haven't paid much attention to it up until now.

Kelley
    2014 Solitude 379FL
    If your device "remembers" its last error it will be displaying it as one of the pieces of information it cycles through every few seconds. If you just watch the display and record what you see, you may see an "E" coded error as one of the pieces of information that appears, and be able to consult the installation manual for a description of that error.

The device doesn't have any long term error memory; it loses its "brains" when it's unplugged.

I see that you're new; here are a couple of tips on using the forum.

- When you reply to any post, it's best to click on the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right corner of the post. That copies the post you're replying to into your reply, improving context for everyone who comes along later, and it sends a notification to the person you're responding to so they will know you've responded.

- Instead of typing your name and trailer information into each post you write, you can create a "signature" that does it automatically. Edit your Profile settings by clicking on Forum Actions near the top of the page and selecting Edit Profile, then look at the menu on the left of the resulting page for a way to create a signature.
    Last edited by boyscout; 01-15-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    If your device "remembers" its last error it will be displaying it as one of the pieces of information it cycles through every few seconds. If you just watch the display and record what you see, you may see an "E" coded error as one of the pieces of information that appears, and be able to consult the installation manual for a description of that error.

The device doesn't have any long term error memory; it loses its "brains" when it's unplugged.

I see that you're new; here are a couple of tips on using the forum.

- When you reply to any post, it's best to click on the Reply With Quote link at the bottom right corner of the post. That copies the post you're replying to into your reply, improving context for everyone who comes along later, and it sends a notification to the person you're responding to so they will know you've responded.

- Instead of typing your name and trailer information into each post you write, you can create a "signature" that does it automatically. Edit your Profile settings by clicking on Forum Actions near the top of the page and selecting Edit Profile, then look at the menu on the left of the resulting page for a way to create a signature.
    Thank you so much. So much to learn and I do so appreciate all of the help from everyone. I have printed the manual for my EMS and am going to check out the codes. Gives me peace of mind to know that I am not alone.
    Hope I can help someone someday.
    Kelley
    Full-timer on the road East
    2021 Imagine XLS 2670MK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since we seem to be narrowing in on the EMS doing the shutdown, as said, the most likely issue is low voltage from the campground. It's just enough to run everything, but adding one more high draw item, like the fireplace (or AC in the summer), and the voltage sags, causing the EMS to turn everything off to protect your equipment. First would be to talk to the campground about it and have them have their electrician check the post. In the meantime, or if they deny there is a problem (but if your EMS is giving you the low volt code, there is a problem with their electrical, no matter what they say), you'll have to practice energy conservation - run your main furnace rather than the fireplace. Don't make coffee at the same time that you use your microwave, etc. Anything that gets hot, or heats things, pulls a good deal of power, so you might have to balance them off. Note that with decent power, this is not a concern. But in some campgrounds, if everyone is pulling a lot of power (like in the cold evenings or hot summer days), it can be an issue. So it may even be a neighbor firing up all their space heaters that ruins it for you (and likely others).
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Since we seem to be narrowing in on the EMS doing the shutdown, as said, the most likely issue is low voltage from the campground. It's just enough to run everything, but adding one more high draw item, like the fireplace (or AC in the summer), and the voltage sags, causing the EMS to turn everything off to protect your equipment. First would be to talk to the campground about it and have them have their electrician check the post. In the meantime, or if they deny there is a problem (but if your EMS is giving you the low volt code, there is a problem with their electrical, no matter what they say), you'll have to practice energy conservation - run your main furnace rather than the fireplace. Don't make coffee at the same time that you use your microwave, etc. Anything that gets hot, or heats things, pulls a good deal of power, so you might have to balance them off. Note that with decent power, this is not a concern. But in some campgrounds, if everyone is pulling a lot of power (like in the cold evenings or hot summer days), it can be an issue. So it may even be a neighbor firing up all their space heaters that ruins it for you (and likely others).
    Everyone who has responded has been great. I did go check my EMS for a previous code and it was low volt code! I am so relieved to know how to check now and that it wasn't my rig! I am going to talk to the park management this afternoon to have them check the receptacle. I am careful about my power so as to not trip my own breakers so I totally understand that part.

Cheers all!
    Kelley
    Full-timer on the road East
    2021 Imagine XLS 2670MK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW - low voltage will make "simple" devices not run as well. Toast will take longer, coffee longer, etc. Your heater won't put out as much heat. Most solid state electronics will not suffer any damage, although if low enough, they may not work. In RV's, the big concern is the air conditioning. It can't get enough power to start properly, putting high stress on the compressor, shortening its life. Your residential fridge may have the same issue. It may be that that is what was kicking off the EMS - volts were just barely enough, and the fridge compressor fired up, and the volts sagged, tripping the EMS. Opinions vary, but in talking to RV techs at my dealer, and in one call to Grand Design, they weren't concerned about the effects for a short period (a couple of days). But it is not something you want to have stressing your systems for long periods.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power issue

Kelleys53: I never saw clarification about whether or not you are losing ALL power (12v and 120v) when it goes off. A couple of months ago we had the same issue but we were only losing the 12v items (lights, furnace, fridge, etc.). The fireplace and a/c outlets still worked. I had the battery tested and was good. This narrowed down to a converter failure which turned out to be the case. If it is both 12v and 120v it does sound like a shore power capacity or stability might be the culprit. By the way, from what I have heard and read weak shore power can result in battery and/or converter failure which I suspect is how our issue got started. Be sure to post the outcome so we know what it was and what you did to correct. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Jimrbell; 01-19-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Grammar wrror

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast