User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding 12 Volt Air Compressor and tank

Adding a permanently mounted 12 volt Viair air compressor, Would the addition of a 3-5 gallon tank aid in any way in assisting with topping up the TV and TT tires? I was thinking that it may help with the compressor duty cycle.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I considered the same thing for a while. Long story short, I decided it wasn't worth the space to install a tank.

The compressor I have doesn't have a pressure shut off, so I would have to fill the tank manually anyway and the cycle time on the compressor wouldn't change much either because it is a small compressor... So I just kept it portable.

I did recently install 12v power posts in the passthrough so I can clip the compressor on them in a more convenient place. That should help a lot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a small 110/AC portable compressor that works great for all size tires at far less the cost of a Viair model. If i’m still fully hooked up (can leave the TV running if required) to my TV and i experience the need to add air to tires, can i utilize the outside 110 outlet to run the compressor? It’s pretty small, 1gal tank, not sure the Amp draw or Wattage, would need to dig it out to find out but will do if necessary. All inputs / comments appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    i have a small 110/AC portable compressor that works great for all size tires at far less the cost of a Viair model. If i’m still fully hooked up (can leave the TV running if required) to my TV and i experience the need to add air to tires, can i utilize the outside 110 outlet to run the compressor? It’s pretty small, 1gal tank, not sure the Amp draw or Wattage, would need to dig it out to find out but will do if necessary. All inputs / comments appreciated.
    Unless your rig has an inverter or generator, the outlet will only have power when you are plugged in to shore power.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    Adding a permanently mounted 12 volt Viair air compressor, Would the addition of a 3-5 gallon tank aid in any way in assisting with topping up the TV and TT tires? I was thinking that it may help with the compressor duty cycle.
    I dunno if this is worth anything... not very scientific.

I had a 100psi VIAIR installed in our truck with a 2-gallon tank. Our trailer had 80psi tires, and it was quick and easy to top them off. I don't remember many duty cycles on the VIAR... there certainly would have been some but I don't remember feeling like I was waiting around for the compressor to catch up.

Then we got a trailer with 110psi tires. Rather than dismantle the system in the truck I just bought a separate VIAIR 450RV which IIRC has a 150psi capability. It seems to take a long time and many cycles to top up the 110psi tires.

Is the difference in having the tank? I dunno, but it's different. I think the tank DOES provide a pretty good reserve to give a good quick shot to a tire, and maybe the cycling isn't as noticeable if it's doing it while you're moving from one tire to the next.

Worth less than two cents, but it's yours.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you jk, I was figuring as much but electrical stuff has never been my strong suite. I’m continuing to put the pieces of the puzzle together, slow but sure. I think the next step is to plug the compressor into my F150 onboard inverter (probably have to keep engine running) and see if it will fire up or not. Worse case is I’ll look for a used Viair, I’m too cheap to buy a new one when after two years I’ve never needed a 12v model. Appreciate your response.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Thank you jk, I was figuring as much but electrical stuff has never been my strong suite. I’m continuing to put the pieces of the puzzle together, slow but sure. I think the next step is to plug the compressor into my F150 onboard inverter (probably have to keep engine running) and see if it will fire up or not. Worse case is I’ll look for a used Viair, I’m too cheap to buy a new one when after two years I’ve never needed a 12v model. Appreciate your response.
    How many watts does your compressor use? Should be on a tag somewhere on the machine. How many watts is your F150 outlet rated for. It may be right on the outlet or in the owners manual. The outlet in my Chevy is good for 150 watts. Probably not enough to run an air compressor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    f-150 is 400 watts, current compressor, not sure, ill check
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload