User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubVet#580 View Post
    Thank you much! They have an awesome Amish Farmers Market outside of town. They are open everyday except Sundays. Open from April till about Oct. Super great folks and the BEST produce, jams, sauces, breads, cookies, etc anywhere! Folks drive from 40 miles and farther to get their items. They are busy at 9am daily as everyone wants the best variety! Our place is about 2 miles from them. If you are headed through Tellico, its about 5 miles out of town and worth the stop for sure. They have no electric so it is cash only. Worth a visit. Not sure if you have been to the museum in town either. Charles Hall Museum near the visitor center. There was a harley/motorcycle shop behind it but it closed. Museum is awesome. Its free but you can donate and the items they have in there is incredible. Worth a visit there as well!
    We have been to the Charles Hall Museum, but it's been several years ago.....very cool for sure. I've never heard of the Amish Market before but I found it on google maps. We will definitely have to go there one day. We are both retired now, so we have a lot more freedom to go places at whatever times we want....vs. only on days off. Talking about farms, I remember as a young man, there was a huge horseradish farm fairly close to where I grew up and a lot of my buddies would work summer jobs there. I was getting ready to give it a go myself, but ended up getting a job in a small, family owned grocery store instead. I'm sure that my back and my body was thankful of my decision!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    We get through Tellico Plains at least one time per year--running the Cherohala Skyway.

Don't tell anyone about the 40 mile road into the wilderness going over to Robbinsville, NC because it might be discovered. I once went to Yosemite National Park, flew home and drove the Cherohala Skyway. It was just about as beautiful of scenery minus the waterfalls of Yosemite.

The region is about the pinnacle of motorcycle riding without all the gut wrenching turns of the Tail of the Dragon to the north.
    Talking about waterfalls, did you ever turn off the Skyway on the Tellico end and go to Bald River Falls? It's a pretty nice waterfall area.....although probably nothing compared to Yosemite. There are also a bunch of waterfalls in the areas around Franklin, N.C. and Highlands, N.C......something like 25 or so within a 50 mile radius of there. The one that comes to mind that is very impressive is White Water Falls. The upper falls drops 411 feet and the lower falls another 400 feet, although they are separated my several miles of distance.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Talking about waterfalls, did you ever turn off the Skyway on the Tellico end and go to Bald River Falls? It's a pretty nice waterfall area.....although probably nothing compared to Yosemite. There are also a bunch of waterfalls in the areas around Franklin, N.C. and Highlands, N.C......something like 25 or so within a 50 mile radius of there. The one that comes to mind that is very impressive is White Water Falls. The upper falls drops 411 feet and the lower falls another 400 feet, although they are separated my several miles of distance.
    We are a hop, skip, and jump from the Dragon and Skyway in Bryson. We did the Dragon a few times since moving here, but much prefer the ease, comfort of the Skyway. Many great roads for riding in this area. Have either of you visited the Lost Lake ( I think that's what it's called). We haven't yet but it does sound interesting.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    We are a hop, skip, and jump from the Dragon and Skyway in Bryson. We did the Dragon a few times since moving here, but much prefer the ease, comfort of the Skyway. Many great roads for riding in this area. Have either of you visited the Lost Lake ( I think that's what it's called). We haven't yet but it does sound interesting.
    We enjoy the Dragon, but it is better ridden during the week.....and later in the day. The Skyway is an awesome ride also. We call it the A/C ride in the summer time. It's alway 15 -18 degrees cooler up on the top of it than it will be in Robbinsville or Tellico Plains. Kind of like riding with the A/C on when it's a hot day.

Are you referring to Lost Sea Adventures on Rt 68....between Madisonville and Sweetwater? I was in there years and years ago, but nothing recent. To my best recollection.....maybe back in 2002 or so.

I don't know how long you've been down here, but if you haven't done Rt. 28 between Franklin and Highlands.....that's a great road if you like the twisty stuff like we do. I usually turn around before actually getting into Highlands because it's so congested.....lot's and lots of tourist activities. Also, if you haven't be to the Caffe Rel in Franklin.....it is top notch food. It's a bit hard to find, but it is right behind the "Hot Spot" convenience store. I heard that the guy that opened it years ago was a 5 Star chef our of New York or ??? And he got tired of the hustle/bustle and moved to Franklin and opened the restaurant. I haven't been there in quite a while, so things may have changed....but you might want to check it out the next time you are in Franklin.
    Last edited by xrated; 07-25-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    We enjoy the Dragon, but it is better ridden during the week.....and later in the day. The Skyway is an awesome ride also. We call it the A/C ride in the summer time. It's alway 15 -18 degrees cooler up on the top of it than it will be in Robbinsville or Tellico Plains. Kind of like riding with the A/C on when it's a hot day.

Are you referring to Lost Sea Adventures on Rt 68....between Madisonville and Sweetwater? I was in there years and years ago, but nothing recent. To my best recollection.....maybe back in 2002 or so.

I don't know how long you've been down here, but if you haven't done Rt. 28 between Franklin and Highlands.....that's a great road if you like the twisty stuff like we do. I usually turn around before actually getting into Highlands because it's so congested.....lot's and lots of tourist activities. Also, if you haven't be to the Caffe Rel in Franklin.....it is top notch food. It's a bit hard to find, but it is right behind the "Hot Spot" convenience store. I heard that the guy that opened it years ago was a 5 Star chef our of New York or ??? And he got tired of the hustle/bustle and moved to Franklin and opened the restaurant. I haven't been there in quite a while, so things may have changed....but you might want to check it out the next time you are in Franklin.
    Yes, I think that's the one I'm thinking of. We will make it there one day. We have done 28 to 64 through Highlands/Cashiers many times. From there, we either take 276 to Waynesville or a road (don't remember the name/number) that takes us back to 441 S of Franklin. Another nice ride to Franklin area is Wayah Road. It's another of our favorites. Great burgers for lunch at the marina on Nantahala Lake.

OP, sorry for the hi jack!!!! Welcome to the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem! We have had our farm in Tellico for 7 years and still have not made it to the Lost Sea! Its only like 15 miles from us too......sad We love the whle area from east Tennessee to Hendersonville/Asheville. Spent much time camping and hiking in Bryson City, Murphy, etc. Beautiful area!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, there, Bamaman! Cris & Gary here. When I read your comment about the Cherohala Skyway, my heart skipped a beat! We used to live just off of NC Hwy 28, about 3 minutes from the Appalachian Trail crossing at Yellow Creek Gap (also a beautiful ride), and maybe 15 minutes from Fontana Dam and the AT crossing there. We absolutely loved driving the Cherohala! And, I agree, it is truly beautiful. Hopefully, it will never become as crowded as the Tail of the Dragon. We had so much fun kayaking on Fontana Lake and Lake Santeelah, and hiking in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest in the springtime, and rafting on the Nantahala, and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway, and exploring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park by car, on foot and on horseback. Oh, how I miss it there. Had to move to Florida to help out aging parents and be closer to my grown kids. Not a day goes by that Gary and I don't long for those enchanting misty blue mountains. It's funny, because we are always trying to figure out a way to move back there without being disowned by the family! lol

And, by the way, SubVet, we too appreciate and thank you for your service and welcome you to the group!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi to you, too, xrated! You are absolutely right about Hwy 28 to Franklin. In my mind, it's just as stomach-turning as the Tail! When heading north from Franklin, we would usually turn left off of 28 a few miles up the road and hop on to Needmore Road, which runs along the other side of the Little Tennessee River from Hwy 28. The difference is pretty interesting. While Hwy 28 runs alongside, yet above, the river, a good portion of the ride on Needmore Road (very narrow, but decently maintained, gravel road) runs right next to the river; so close that if you were to take your eyes off the road for even a moment, you'd probably end up in the river! lol Fortunately, we were not on motorcycles when traveling that road, but it sure was a beautiful view! Our Chevy Dooley (sp?) would be covered with dust when we finally made it to the black-top, but who cares? We lived in the country, anyway, right smack in the middle of BFE!
    By the way, if you ever get a chance, the cuban sandwiches at The Filling Station in Bryson City are awesome!!! Actually, EVERYTHING they serve there is awesome!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You BunnyRabbit, (Cris and Gary), my pleasure!

We stayed at Fontana Village years ago before 9/11 when security was not a strict. We kayaked, hiked and fished all around Fontana. I do hike when I can and have spent much time on the AT from Ga to Virginia. I have always though that area of NC has some of the best scenery. I also remember when the Nantahala Outdoor Center was a small outdoor gear store, now it is huge!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast