User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serial 2 banks of 2 batteries

I am wanting to serial a wet cell 12 volt to a AGM 12 volt any thoughts on this process. I am going to haul 4 batteries and I want two separate banks wired in this manor. The AGM batteries are new and the wet cells are about a year and a half old.
    2015 RAM 3500 Laramie Cummins Diesel ( the Black Peril ) with Pull Rite 2600 Hitch
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-CLASS 3350RL-R (NO NAME YET )

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things come to mind....

If you mean connecting all batteries together then they will need to be in parallel to maintain 12 volts. Putting 4 12 volt batteries in series will result in 48 volts.

Assuming you mean to connect them in parallel for more available run time, then connecting different kinds of batteries (as well as different age batteries) it not generally recommended. And mixing AGM and wet cell is likely a big no-no. It all has to do with charging and maintaining the batteries.

It might be time to reconsider your options.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tasmal View Post
    I am wanting to serial a wet cell 12 volt to a AGM 12 volt any thoughts on this process. I am going to haul 4 batteries and I want two separate banks wired in this manor. The AGM batteries are new and the wet cells are about a year and a half old.
    What @traveldawg Larry said, for SURE, very important.

However your last sentence says "wet cells" which suggests that you might have two existing batteries and you're adding two more AGM batteries. If that's the case then you could put the two wet cells on one circuit (in PARALLEL as Larry said) and put the two AGMs on the other circuit.

The following popular high-quality switch would let you use each of the two banks *separately*:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However note that the switch permits you to select Bank 1 or Bank 2, or Bank 1 AND Bank 2 - both banks together - which as Larry said would be a very bad idea. In use the two banks of dissimilar batteries would "cannibalize" each other and shorten the life of all batteries, and charging both banks at the same time would result in none of the batteries being properly charged, which also would shorten their life.

Be sure you understand what a parallel connection between the batteries means and how to accomplish it. If you connect the batteries in series you'll let the smoke out of your trailer.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by boyscout; 10-11-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch