User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current unit is 15k they're installing a 13.5k is this standard? Figured 15k to 15k would be better?
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    My current unit is 15k they're installing a 13.5k is this standard? Figured 15k to 15k would be better?
    Yep, that's pretty standard. I'm not sure if you could get a 15k unit in front. Interesting question.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @J Maguire - the front AC used to be (maybe still is) a low profile 13.5 unit for Reflections. Installing a 15K S/B fine even if not a low profile since Reflections are not as tall as Momentums or Solitudes by a few inches. I think using a low profile would be a preferred choice.

An yes, as Lex shared, having the 2nd AC makes all the difference. On hot humid days even in the shade, our single K AC could barely keep the RV in the low to mid 80s running constantly. With the second AC we can set them to the low 70s and they will both cycle on as set temp is maintained easily.

You may recall that the other advantage shared by many folks is the ability to run the front AC in the evening when watching TV as an example with rear living floor plans and it is pretty quiet. At bed time, do the reverse and run the rear AC and shut the BR off. These two statements are generally the case when it cools down some in the evening and the hot sun is not a factor thus one AC is capable of cooling the RV.

Installing the low profile 13.5 AC in our BR was the best thing we did. Ours was done by the GDRV Factory Service Center in the spring on 2018.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 03-16-2021 at 07:17 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer texted and asked if I was okay with a manual turn dial with the second AC unit. I mentioned dual zones is fine but would like something more contemporary and electronic similar to the standard already on board. Am I expecting too much here?
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Yep, that's pretty standard. I'm not sure if you could get a 15k unit in front. Interesting question.
    When we ordered our 2nd AC unit for my husband to install, we ordered a 13.5 unit. But they sent a 15. We installed in in the bedroom as planned.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer texted and asked if I was okay with a manual turn dial with the second AC unit. I mentioned dual zones is fine but would like something more contemporary and electronic similar to the standard already on board. Am I expecting too much here?
    I and most of us would like the ducted unit with the on/off temp setting switch mounted on the wall where GDRV has already run the wiring usually by the light switch in the BR. Did they have different pricing on the different options of AC/controls install ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    I and most of us would like the ducted unit with the on/off temp setting switch mounted on the wall where GDRV has already run the wiring usually by the light switch in the BR. Did they have different pricing on the different options of AC/controls install ?

Dan
    This is a ducted unit. Price $1400 for the install and AC. I'm just learning now there's no thermostat being offered just the dial on the AC itself. Seems like this is substandard perhaps, not enough parts available?
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a ducted unit. Price $1400 for the install and AC. I'm just learning now there's no thermostat being offered just the dial on the AC itself. Seems like this is substandard perhaps, not enough parts available?
    No! I would ask for a unit with the thermostat on the wall. The manual dial system might not be integrated with the race track system. That's what they installed in mine at first. I made them replace it with a unit that was integrated with the racetrack system and had the automated thermostat on the wall. It sounds like they are lazy and don't want to fish the wire.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    No! I would ask for a unit with the thermostat on the wall. The manual dial system might not be integrated with the race track system. That's what they installed in mine at first. I made them replace it with a unit that was integrated with the racetrack system and had the automated thermostat on the wall. It sounds like they are lazy and don't want to fish the wire.
    X2 - I could not have said it better myself.

Thank you, TheLexx

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3 - the units with manual controls are configured for non-ducted output. You want a ducted roof insert and wired control...The only added work will be for the dealer to ensure he seals everything around the ducting race track and the AC unit and then locate the existing wires for the thermostat behind the wall and hook it up and mount it.

However, there is still the question on wether you want dual zone control or not. First you will want to check with GD to determine if they pre-wired the rig for this. This is different than 2nd AC prep as it involves wiring from the main AC to the second AC for "master/slave" control of the units. If it is wired for dual zone control and you do want it configured this way, then you will still more than likely have to have the control box and thermostat in the main AC replaced as it is likely set up for a single zone right now and they are not compatible. One way to save money by doing this is order the same model AC you have now and order it as a dual zone control and then just swap out the control boxes and thermostats with the current AC when they install the new one as you don't want your main controls in the bedroom, you will want them in the main living area.

If you decide to run it as a separate zone than none of this applies and both AC units will work independently and be controlled via their own thermostat. I hope I didn't confuse you too much. I just wanted to share all of this with you from lessons learned that you wouldn't find out about likely until the time of install and then they hit you up with all of these extra charges that you weren't expecting.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast