User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Electric Fireplace Issue

We bought our 2017 Momentum 350M in June of last year and are using it as our town headquarters practically full time as we build off-grid in southern Colorado. We've been really impressed with the responsiveness as the dealer provided a replacement microwave where the fan wasn't working and a seat heater that didn't heat and we were able to install ourselves to avoid having to haul it back to them.

We made it through the winter, using the electric fireplace fairly regularly to supplement the furnace. During the spring we thought we noticed a couple of times where the heat would shut off shortly after we turned it on, but it seemed to work fine if we just turned it on again.

With a nip in the air AGAIN, we've found that our intermittent shut off now seems to be a permanent one. The heat occasionally comes on, stays on for maybe 2 minutes and then turns off. But most often, it just never comes on at all.

Any help you could give us about how to tackle this problem would be appreciated! Is it a part issue or does it require total replacement? Are we still covered under warranty given that we didn't pursue it in the spring?

If it helps, the it is a Greystone 26" Electric Fireplace, Model #WF2613R-1.

Thank you so much!

Mary

[email protected]
    Mary and Roger

2017 Momentum 350M
    Colorado
    Full-timing (loving it!) while building off grid (WHAT were we thinking????)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Greystone fireplaces are made in China... extrapolate what you will about quality (we're on our second - and I had to repair that one). Sounds like you either have a failure on the controller board or of the thermistor that senses the temp. If it runs on High but not at a set temp, it's the thermistor - otherwise, it's the controller board. GD just replaces the fireplace rather than messing with parts and repair.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd give GDRV customer service a call. They might ship you a new furnace. It is super simple to remove and replace the old one.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Will call them tomorrow. Sounds like we have a control board issue for sure.
    Mary and Roger

2017 Momentum 350M
    Colorado

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our old 5th wheel we ran the electric fire place extensively. As a result the fan motor would go out. The fireplaces are not very complicated. I learned how to disassemble ours, found it had maybe 5 key components. I found a parts supplier, ordered new parts. After the third fan motor went out could replace it in under an hour. I also kept a spare on hand because that was the only thing that would break, but it repeated the outage about every 18 months. It was a Dimplex Optitherm.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the answer!... The cavity that the fireplace resides gets too hot from the LP furnace and kicks off the heat switch and then it stops working. I bet its when the furnace is running too. i will further bet you may have tried to block and redirect some heating vents which pushes more hot air into the lower bay and cavity which is heated. I pulled out the fireplace which is amazingly easy... just lift up on the 3/4 around surround bezel bottom edge on one side, then the other and and it comes off (its really is just hung over the fireplace) then you will see 4 screws holding the fireplace to the wall. Remove and it pulls right out like a suitcase.... it even has side handles.... all self contained. Then you may feel that the cavity is probably warm if the LP was running. Once its pulled out, reset the breaker (the only way to restart) and turn on. the air is pulled in from the topside thru a switch which is very close to a aluminum bar which gets hot from latent heat and reflects over to the heat switch. I played with the vents and this happened within an hour. I only discovered when i left out of the cavity and it worked all day. put back in for the night, kicked on the LP furnace and when i awoke a few hours later it was dead. I shut off. Then I waited until morn...LP heater still running, and still wouldn't come on, then I removed from cavity and it came on and stayed on. Its definitely heat switch related. By the way, on my 349 Momentum the fireplace cavity also holds most all the gizmos that you may have to replace someday. Its an access hub for all. heater, plumbing, converter, power switching, wiring, the water system, the stereo and tv cables, the fuse box and vacuum. Its mostly all in there to view. It was a good learning experience to see all that together. i understand a lot more now. I suggest you try.
    Last edited by john cecchini; 10-08-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - thank you for the tip, John! And Dallas you make very valid points, too. I'm becoming the queen of spare parts in both worlds! Will go try pulling it out. Got sidetracked and onto other issues and didn't get customer service called yet so of course it's cold with 6 inches of snow on the ground and more falling after being 70 yesterday!
    Mary and Roger

2017 Momentum 350M
    Colorado

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    In our old 5th wheel we ran the electric fire place extensively. As a result the fan motor would go out. The fireplaces are not very complicated. I learned how to disassemble ours, found it had maybe 5 key components. I found a parts supplier, ordered new parts. After the third fan motor went out could replace it in under an hour. I also kept a spare on hand because that was the only thing that would break, but it repeated the outage about every 18 months. It was a Dimplex Optitherm.
    Would you give me the name and phone of the parts supplier where you found a new motor? Mine motor is making noise...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Would you have the name and number of the parts distributor where you found the motor?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Would you have the name and number of the parts distributor where you found the motor?
    The old one was a Dimplex heater. My new Momentum has a Twinstar, aka Classic Flame. Twin Star phone number on the unit 861-661-1218. The parts are pretty generic and you can probably find them on amazon or ebay. Who knows, if you have the serial number off the unit and call the number they may just send you the parts.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast