User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    We have a 2400BH that we tow with our 2017 tundra. Loaded up and ready to camp, we’re right at or even just a hair over the available payload but under on the axle ratings. It doesn’t look or drive like it’s anywhere near that heavy though. I’ve spent some time at the CAT scale dialing in the WD hitch and it is very easy to drive. No sway when 18-wheelers are passing or issues in the wind.
    What is the payload on your truck? What's the weight of your supplies? Tongue weight when fully loaded?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme01 View Post
    What is the payload on your truck? What's the weight of your supplies? Tongue weight when fully loaded?
    The tundra has a 1400 lb payload. Ready to camp, tongue weight is right around 800 lbs. the rest of the weight is wife and I, plus two smaller teenagers. Bikes and fishing gear plus I take a pretty good amount of tools, off-road recovery gear, first aide supplies. Loaded most of the stuff in the trailer, some in the bed of the truck. The trailer had around a half tank of fresh water and nearly empty black and grey water tanks, full propane tanks.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    The published tongue weight is unrealistic, 800-900# would be more like it.
    I had a F150 with 1486# payload. With my wife and I ready to camp I was 200# over on my gross and rear axle towing our 2650.
    Rather than spec out a new F150 I made the jump to a F250. No payload issues and it's a much more stable towing vehicle.
    Good move

Everyone with their 150 will tell you they have no problem being at or over payload capacity. That it tows like a dream. Course what are they comparing it to. How many of them really ever towed it with a 250 series truck. How many have had a “real” accident avoidance maneuver when they are at or near capacity and saw how it handled. A few 18 wheelers going by you is not any indication of this. It’s a false sense of security.

Logic says a truck pushed at its max all the time will wear out sooner. Not necessarily talking the engine as the tow ratings on many 150 are very larger, but their payload capacity isn’t. The leafs/ springs on a 250 are more robust. The gear ratios are often different, the alternators and cooling is often different.

Ask anyone who graduated to a 250/350 whether they noticed a difference.
    Ask them do they have more confidence in towing / handling.
    Ask them whether they would consider going back.
    Never see that on here...never see stories about going back to 150. Wonder why.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the specs on your truck? Payload, etc?
    Payload is around 1900#, max towing 9,600#, combined weight is 15,000#. It has the towing package with brake controller, transmission cooler. It drove fairly well, and he only thing, the trailer porpoised a couple of times because the road had some “waves”.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck on finding your trailer, you can't go wrong with either of the 3; you are right to want bunks for the kids, though I would put the youngest in a pack'n play. Or, you could get a pool noodle and put under the fitted sheet so she/he doesn't fall out. I have the 23BHE and pulled it with a '17 Silverado 5.3 liter across a very windy South Dakota. It did "Ok". You will be fine with your truck, but don't be surprised if you get an itch to get a bigger truck in 1-3 years as your mind second guesses towing comfort and ability and explore further away from home. But like I said, your current truck is "good" with either trailer.
    Current: 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 Chevy Silverado 3.0 L Duramax Diesel, Crew Cab, Regular Box
    Former: 2017 Flagstaff 625D PopUp
    2017 Silverado 5.3 L V8

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellionprime View Post
    Good luck on finding your trailer, you can't go wrong with either of the 3; you are right to want bunks for the kids, though I would put the youngest in a pack'n play. Or, you could get a pool noodle and put under the fitted sheet so she/he doesn't fall out. I have the 23BHE and pulled it with a '17 Silverado 5.3 liter across a very windy South Dakota. It did "Ok". You will be fine with your truck, but don't be surprised if you get an itch to get a bigger truck in 1-3 years as your mind second guesses towing comfort and ability and explore further away from home. But like I said, your current truck is "good" with either trailer.
    I'm part of this category!!! While our 2015 silverado 1500 with a 5.3L did the job without issues, it simply does not compare to the 2500 I have now. Think of it like DVD vs bluray........ both will let you watch the movie but one is far superior in every way. Happy camping!!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV Sailor, I appreciate the input and I know the 2500 would have been the ideal truck to go with when it comes to towing. My wife and I struggled with making a decision on buying the truck and we were very close to spending the extra money to get a 2500. At the end of the day, like many others, this is not a full time hobby for us. The part time usage, along with our daily lifestyle did not justify buying a 2500. So, we chose to work with the specs given to us by our current truck. Backwards, I know, as you are to pick the trailer first and then the truck to match. The whole point of camping for us is to lay our head down, cook and get out of the weather if necessary and make memories with our daughters. Maybe, we got overly ambitious with the size and floor plan when initially looking, but that's why I came here asking for opinions. I welcome them all.

With that being said, my wife and I looked at all three models today. At the end of the day, we are choosing to go with the Imagine XLS 21BHE. The trailer was quite spacious for our needs now and for the future. We loved the amenities that were in the trailer and were happy to see Grand Design used every available space to its advantage. Not to mention, the sticker on the trailer stated a dry weight of 4738#, GVWR of 6395# and a payload of 1617#. I can fully max out the trailer (6395#) at a 15% tongue weight and still have 100# of payload left. At the end of the day, it gives me a lot of flexibility, but knowing I can max out the trailer and still be comfortable with payload is awesome. Not that I am going to though.

I appreciate all of the information and personal experiences you all have provided. I need to work out logistics of storage and then we can begin our next adventure!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV Sailor, I appreciate the input and I know the 2500 would have been the ideal truck to go with when it comes to towing. My wife and I struggled with making a decision on buying the truck and we were very close to spending the extra money to get a 2500. At the end of the day, like many others, this is not a full time hobby for us. The part time usage, along with our daily lifestyle did not justify buying a 2500. So, we chose to work with the specs given to us by our current truck. Backwards, I know, as you are to pick the trailer first and then the truck to match. The whole point of camping for us is to lay our head down, cook and get out of the weather if necessary and make memories with our daughters. Maybe, we got overly ambitious with the size and floor plan when initially looking, but that's why I came here asking for opinions. I welcome them all.

With that being said, my wife and I looked at all three models today. At the end of the day, we are choosing to go with the Imagine XLS 21BHE. The trailer was quite spacious for our needs now and for the future. We loved the amenities that were in the trailer and were happy to see Grand Design used every available space to its advantage. Not to mention, the sticker on the trailer stated a dry weight of 4738#, GVWR of 6395# and a payload of 1617#. I can fully max out the trailer (6395#) at a 15% tongue weight and still have 100# of payload left. At the end of the day, it gives me a lot of flexibility, but knowing I can max out the trailer and still be comfortable with payload is awesome. Not that I am going to though.

I appreciate all of the information and personal experiences you all have provided. I need to work out logistics of storage and then we can begin our next adventure!
    That’s great . It seems you’ve got a good handle on it then.
    We use the Blue Ox sway Pro WDH . Great that you don’t have to disengage when backing up.
    Get good tires for the Trailer. Suggest going with the Goodyear’s. We traded out our thin sidewall Westlakes immediately
    As there appear to be many blowout issues with them from posters here. When I examined the two side by side Un- inflated it was readily apparent about the sidewalls.

Good luck with you new trailer.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found the trailer that works for you - now enjoy your family in the great outdoors!

FWIW we have a 2400BH as well and tow with a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Besides the obvious engine difference between your Ram and ours, your rear axle weight rating is 100 pounds more - which in my opinion is the number to truly be focused on. As long as your trailer and truck fully loaded don’t exceed the axle ratings - and your WDH is set up to return nearly all of the unloaded weight back to the front axle - you’ll be fine in your Ram.

I know, I know, we’re all supposed to say “upgrade your truck, that’s too much trailer.” But with 15,000 miles of real world towing with my truck and the 2400BH I can say that it’s a safe and economical setup that’s a joy to drive. Would the towing experience be “better” with a 3/4 ton truck? Depends on what ‘better’ means. The ride would be more harsh, the fuel economy would be less, my business road trips would cost me a LOT more (I drive 30,000 a year for my business) and a 3/4 ton may not fit in my garage. So for now I’m sticking with the 1500.

To the OP... I’m happy you found a trailer that works for you. Now don’t be a stranger! Be sure to come back and let us know how your first few outings go!

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I’m coming in a little late here but something worth investing in is a hitch scale (attached link below). They’re fairly cheap and take the guesswork out of it all.

Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007REK28M...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast