User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen sink with divider

We're exploring our week-old 2021 Solitude 345GK-R. And one thing we're trying to figure out is how one would use the very strange sink design in the kitchen: it's a double sink, alright, but the divider that makes it a double sink is perhaps 5" or 6" tall, measuring from the bottom of the sink. And I suspect that 5" of water (or less?) is not going to work well for washing. I've attached a photo, but anyone with a new Solitude (the last year or more?) will get what I'm referring to.

So: any workarounds? or is it not actually much of a problem to use this sink? (We've not yet tried it out; but we will be using it in about a week.) I've attached a photo right off the GD website's gallery, marking the very low divider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 5.52.23 PM.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	33527
    Jim and Merna

2021 Solitude 345GK-R w/ 17.5 wheels/Cooper H-rated tires (replacing a 2014 Solitude 369RL).
    8k axles upgraded with Mor-Ryde IS/disc brakes and Solar (1280 watts + 800Ah Lithium batteries).
    2015 F-350 6.7 diesel SRW, Curt 20k hitch.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would it be a problem? The low division is to facilitate rinsing of larger dishes and such. The sink design was in direct customer feedback across several brands where the single basin was disliked almost equally with the full height division. If not for you, you can replace it yourself with a full division or just use a plastic container of more depth in one side.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a single sink and use a plastic dish pan which is about 6" deep and for hot soapy water. I would think your sink would have plenty of room to wash most dishes. When we are dry camping and being very mindful of fresh water usage.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The sink design was in direct customer feedback across several brands where the single basin was disliked almost equally with the full height division.
    Rob - once again you have the scoop. I have not seen anything on this or the other forum about this being a desired sink. For GDRVs, where/what media was this feedback shared ?

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Rob - once again you have the scoop. I have not seen anything on this or the other forum about this being a desired sink. For GDRVs, where/what media was this feedback shared ?

Dan
    Lol! Dan, I don't know how much of a scoop it is, but when I was out in Indiana last fall I caught up with industry friends now part of the LCI brands. That's where I first heard of the industry survey. When I saw the change on the Solitude line when there, I asked the manager (who left this year) and he said customers asked for the change. Whether or not that was based on LCI information or on top of it, I had no reason to ask. If I hadn't done a slide-out waste can under ours, I'd swap. However, cannot fit the extra drain and keep the waste can.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Why would it be a problem? The low division is to facilitate rinsing of larger dishes and such. The sink design was in direct customer feedback across several brands where the single basin was disliked almost equally with the full height division. If not for you, you can replace it yourself with a full division or just use a plastic container of more depth in one side.
    I can see that a too-high central divider would be tough to work with. Our 2014 Solitude had a slightly bigger (overall) sink and higher divider, with more space on the left than on the right, and it was really just about right. It's a small thing. And, yes, we limit our water usage as best we're able when dry-camping, like the rest of the world!

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim
    Jim and Merna

2021 Solitude 345GK-R w/ 17.5 wheels/Cooper H-rated tires (replacing a 2014 Solitude 369RL).
    8k axles upgraded with Mor-Ryde IS/disc brakes and Solar (1280 watts + 800Ah Lithium batteries).
    2015 F-350 6.7 diesel SRW, Curt 20k hitch.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimibooks View Post
    I can see that a too-high central divider would be tough to work with. Our 2014 Solitude had a slightly bigger (overall) sink and higher divider, with more space on the left than on the right, and it was really just about right. It's a small thing. And, yes, we limit our water usage as best we're able when dry-camping, like the rest of the world!

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim
    Yeah, we're water-misers as well, and the galley tank can fill far too fast if not!

Given you're in Warsaw, when the huge surge dies down and the RV surplus yards aren't quite as picked over as I was amazed by last Fall, you can pick up any of the 3 versions of the sinks for pennies on the dollar from them.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My 220RK just has the one section deep sink. I am sure DW would love to get the one with the partition. She found a plastic wash tub at Walmart and set it across one side. Dirty dishes in the tub rinse in the sink after all washed, and save the rinse water for other uses, including filling the commode, or washing the dirty dishes next time and using tub to rinse. Its amazing how much water can be saved.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimibooks View Post
    We're exploring our week-old 2021 Solitude 345GK-R. And one thing we're trying to figure out is how one would use the very strange sink design in the kitchen: it's a double sink, alright, but the divider that makes it a double sink is perhaps 5" or 6" tall, measuring from the bottom of the sink. And I suspect that 5" of water (or less?) is not going to work well for washing. I've attached a photo, but anyone with a new Solitude (the last year or more?) will get what I'm referring to.

So: any workarounds? or is it not actually much of a problem to use this sink? (We've not yet tried it out; but we will be using it in about a week.) I've attached a photo right off the GD website's gallery, marking the very low divider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 5.52.23 PM.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	33527
    We purchased our 345GK on April 23 & have lived in it since. My wife likes the divider but says you have to get used to it. I see you are getting the Morryde IS & disc brakes. You will love them. I’m assuming you stayed with Solitude as your new fiver because your older Solitude was a great trailer. How does the 2021 compare to your last Solitude?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be happy with the low divider. Our Reflection has a double sink with no divider. Thankfully, DW has a system for dishwashing. If it were me, I would tear it out and put in something usable.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast