User Tag List

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Actually Nichols Manufacturing www.nicholsmanufacturingandweldingservices.com has a mounting box and cable necessary to mount the Ford combined 7/12 connector in the pickup bed so you can run the Ford TPMS/Camera cable right along with the stand trailer cable. That way you do not need to drape it over the tailgate or need any kind of bungy/spring "loop".

3) Nichols Manufacturing offers a number of extension and splitter cables.

I have no affiliation with Nicholes Manufacturing other then as a customer. They are the only source I have found for these cables (other than the stock one from Ford). I talked to Bryan earlier today. He was very helpful and knowledgeable. They also have a number of installation videos on their web site under "resources" tab. The first one is a video of installing the cables (including from the pin box to front compartment)on a Vilano 5th wheel (very similar to Grad Design) that I had not see on youtube. This is very similar to what COLRetired (post #54 above) did, but in more detail.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this is not high-jacking or inappropriate to tag onto the thread. If so, please let me know.

I have just ordered the box and cable from Nicholes to mount the Ford 12 pin connector in the bed of my pickup. Now thinking of how I am going to route the cable through the pinbox/nose. I see multiple people have just dropped (loosened) the fiberglass wrap under the nose ad used that to route the cable.

As an alternative has anyone routed any cables through the frame either next to the 7 pin RV cable or in the same location on the opposite side of the trailer? Also, where does the 7 pin RV cable exit the frame and come out into the trailer?

I understand from talking with Grand Design, that at least the Solitudes have a wire chase (open space) from the mechanical space (behind the rear basement wall) to the roof and possibly in the ceiling from the roof opening to the rear cap. I believe this is for TV antenna or Satellite wiring. I am trying to get more information from Grand Design, but has anyone used this/these spaces or have more information on them? I would really like to route the wiring for the rear camera inside the rear cap and not run it up the ladder or over the roof.

Just trying to look at alternatives (and I do not even have the trailer yet! ).

Thank you
    Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the camera mounted on my momentum. I mounted it on the bumper and I like it there. Cable is long enough and install is pretty straight forward.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My installer, a local speed shop, just drilled a hole in the wall of the bed and mounted the 7 pin plug there. I ran video wires inside plastic loom from the cab and brought it up to that hole, loosened the four screws holding it in and dropped the wire through and tightened the screws. I plan to get a box and mount a weatherproof bulkhead box when I get around to it, but the RCA connectors work well for now.

On the trailer side, I attached the video cables to the 7 pin cable with tywraps, that brought it up inside the pin box. I ran a 1 inch wire loom inside the fiberglass skin from the pinbox to the front basement. I had a chunk of romex wire that worked well for a fishing pole. You might have to loosen a couple of screws that hold the skin to the frame, but its not difficult to get from the pinbox to the basement.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris - I see you are pretty close to me. I am getting ready to order the parts for NMW. When I start doing the install you are welcome to have a look. I'm am about an hour south of you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received the parts from Nichols Manufacturing & Welding (very quick shipping) and have the truck side install done. Very quick and easy install for me. A couple of "extra" things I did was to primer and paint the truck bed where I had cut (enlarged) the mounting hole. This is aluminum and while it will not rust it will corrode and the area gets "blasted" by cast-off from the rear wheel. Rattle can paint does not stick well to aluminum, but I figured it is better than nothing. The other thing I did was liberally coat both stock 7 pin and the Nichols 12 pin connectors with dielectric grease where they plug into the repositioned 7/12 connector. Again, this area is in direct line with cast-off from the rear tire.

bikerdavet - how are you planning on routing the wires through the pin-box/front compartment area? How are you planning on routing the wiring to the camera? I would like to see how you are installing it. Let me know when you are working on it.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I understand from talking with Grand Design, that at least the Solitudes have a wire chase (open space) from the mechanical space (behind the rear basement wall) to the roof and possibly in the ceiling from the roof opening to the rear cap. I believe this is for TV antenna or Satellite wiring. I am trying to get more information from Grand Design, but has anyone used this/these spaces or have more information on them? I would really like to route the wiring for the rear camera inside the rear cap and not run it up the ladder or over the roof.
    Resurrecting this thread (again). I just got a new Ford Superduty with the camera/TPMS wiring kit. I plan to use the roof opening on our new Solitude to route the wire to the camera.

The one thing I'm still not clear about is the Ford TPMS sensors. Will they work on the Solitude wheels or do you have to get an adapter?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're like the rims on my momentum, the answer is yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Resurrecting this thread (again). I just got a new Ford Superduty with the camera/TPMS wiring kit. I plan to use the roof opening on our new Solitude to route the wire to the camera.

The one thing I'm still not clear about is the Ford TPMS sensors. Will they work on the Solitude wheels or do you have to get an adapter?
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I have a 2018 Solitude 310GK and a 2017 Ford F-350 with the customer installed trailer camera & TPMS system. First, realize the TPMS sensor and the valve stem are two separate pieces. The sensor monts on to the valve stem with a screw. I have had no problems with the Ford TPMS sensors on the stock rims and Westlake tires. However, the Ford supplied valve stems DO NOT WORK with the stock Lionshead wheels. There are two standard hole sizes (0.452" and 0.625"). The wheels have the larger hole size. The Ford valve stems only work with the smaller hole and they have a lip that prevents using a larger grommet (seal). I used Nichols Manufacturing (see post #61 above for contact information) valve stems for the larger (0.625") hole size to mount the Ford TPMS sensors to. I used Nichols standard length steel (plated) valve stems and got them to work. It was very difficult due to wheel thickness. I would strongly recommend getting longer then "stock" length valve stems from Nichols Manufacturing. Note: They are pricey, but very nicely made and Jeff Nichols was very help in answering my questions personally. I hope that answers your questions. If not, ask away.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpful Chris! I do have another question. You mentioned needing longer than stock valve stems for the Solitude wheels. Nichols sells the "BRASS VALVE STEM FOR TPMS SENSOR (RIM HOLE SIZE .625)" for $19.99ea.

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...625-valve-stem

Is this what I need or do I need custom valve stems? If custom, what should I be asking for?

Thanks!

Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast