User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Ford, Ram or GM question

So I was considering a TT (specifically a Reflection 297) to tow with our almost new Ford F-150 (no HDPP or Max Tow)

However, when I asked about it on this forum, some of you began pointing out some "inconvenient facts" about tongue weight etc, and I concluded the 297 would be pushing the limits of our present truck.
    Since I was going to buy a heavier truck anyway, we decided to look at 5th wheels and I think we have decided on a 337.

I have owned a couple of Ford Powerstrokes and one GMC Duramax. I had no real problems with either of them. I most recently had a Ram 1500, again no problems.

I have been truck shopping for several weeks and find that I can buy a Ram 3500 Laramie DRW, a Ford F-350 Lariat DRW or a Chevy or GMC 3500 all for about the same price.
    I have no real bias against either or real favorite either, other than I really like the way our 2018 F-150 rides and drives.

So, is there a compelling reason to get one over the others? Fuel economy, resale value, ride quality, reliability, etc?

I honestly feel that all 3 are good trucks and there is of course a risk of getting a lemon with either of them. Just wondered if there was something else I ought to consider.

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have a Ram, but would probably get a Ford next. Nothing really wrong with either but I like the adaptive cruise on Fords, and I may be wrong about this but our Ford Edge we have regular gps updates, where my ram I would have to pay to update. Both are quiet rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Another Ford, Ram or GM question

Ford has certain options available that aren’t available at all on Chevy or Dodge.

I stole this list from another thread:
    (Thx to CloseToRetirement)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull up the service bullitens for each. They can all have issues.

Very happy with my Ram thus far. I was going to go Ford but passed when I read about the plastic oil pan leaking. Wasn't about to tow hard with that.

Ram had issues in the past with their exhaust system when def first started being required. Newer units don't seem to have the issues.

My buddy has a Chevy and has had a few suspension issues. They also have lower payload iirc. We were getting really close to capacity on the Chevy vs ram or the Ford so we took Chevy off the list pretty fast.

Take your pick, they all can have issues. Make sure you drive whatever you want hard and fast. Check at high speed for any type of wobble. Every brand has seen a few of those death wobble issues, if you feel anything not quite right pick another truck.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Ford has WAY more “comfort “ options available that aren’t available at all on Chevy or Dodge, heated rear seats for one.

I have heated seats on my 2006 Duramax. With GM you get not only a much quieter, smoother engine but the Allison transmission which is far superior to any of the other brands. You will probably have to pay more for a GM, but you get a smoother ride and a proven powertrain as well as truck that has all the good stuff and last a while. I am a GM fanboy for sure.

The problems that they have are no different than other makes, given the same years, with the emissions crap but the Duramax has proved itself. It may cost you more up front but there is no way any of the other powertrains come close...

Adaptive cruise? Give me a break! I'm driving my rig when it's 18K going down the road, not a computer...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit I did work for Ford for 24 years and may be a little biased, however any of the three mentioned trucks will do a great job for you. Not every dealership in the world is really good at handling "light" diesel trucks mechanically, however my local Ford dealer has a whole separate shop maintaining ambulances and other diesel commercial vehicles.

It really comes down to finding a dealership that you feel comfortable with and one that's willing to deal. Many dealers essentially "give away" half ton trucks and make their profits on low volume 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesel pickups. And many dealers are charging incredibly high documentation fees and selling add on's--profiting too much on the "back end" of a deal. I just prefer to do business with independent dealerships and not those big slam and jam national chain stores.

If you want to compare prices on trucks, you cannot beat Akins Ford just east of Atlanta. Last time I looked, he had over 1000 pickups in stock, including diesel pickups with every bed imaginable mounted. He also has Ram trucks, and quotes prices online. My F250 came from them 16 years ago for half the price the same truck today would cost.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say 1 thing, best selling trucks for over 40 years. 40 not 4. You've gotta be doing something right to have a stretch like that.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Ford has certain options available that aren’t available at all on Chevy or Dodge.

I stole this list from another thread:
    (Thx to CloseToRetirement)

GM's new truck is hitting dealers now. You may need to update your list.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizbangdoodle View Post
    I'll say 1 thing, best selling trucks for over 40 years. 40 not 4. You've gotta be doing something right to have a stretch like that.
    You need to add GMC and Chevrolet together to get the real numbers which flip back and forth over the years. Ford has been playing this game for years. And remember to remove the fleet sales also which is designed to keep those numbers up. Given the fact that GM has four nameplates for light trucks, I like to look at market share. Simply put, GM sells more trucks and has the highest market share on trucks in the US.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like that 48 gallon tank on the Ford! My Ram is 32 gallons and towing, you’ll be looking for fuel stops along your way. I ended putting in a TransferFlow mid-ship 52 gallon replacement to avoid having to fuel up while towing and dealing with the big boys at the trucker pumps.

In 2016 when I bought the Ram, I shyed away ftom thr Ford as the forums had a lot of chatter of denied warranties on fuel pumps disintegration and was blaming the owners from getting water in fuel when it was a bad pump design from Bosch. GM had the same pump but was standing behind the warranty.

At the time the Chevy truck was way more expensive then a comparable Ram so Chevy lost on that.
    Other than a few recall visits, the Ram has been a good truck.

Don’t think you can go wrong with any of them today. Both Ford and GM have addressed the fuel pump issues. Ram is the oldest as both Ford & GM have newer versions out. The newest 2500/3600 Ram model release has been pushed back to 2022.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast