User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birds Are Damaging My Roof

Would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. Birds, most likely Ravens are attacking/damaging the roof on my 337RLS. The damage is along the edges, front/back and both sides. They seem to be attracted to the sealant and have actually made holes in the roof membrane.

Trailer is a 2018 337RLS. Unless I'm mistaken the roof membrane is Alpha Systems Superflex membrane and sealant.

I don't think bird damage is a warranty issue and I'm hesitant to make an insurance claim. Any ideas/advice welcome.

Erick
    Erick & Cyndi Prescott Valley Az. Unless otherwise indicated, Erick is posting...
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW 4WD
    2023 Solitude 310GK, "Pearl"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I noticed crows picking at stuff on our roof too, particularly when we were near the beach in Washington state.
    I haven’t seen any damage though. They seemed to disappear when we were camping along the Oregon coast the entire Summer.
    Then just a few days ago, out here in the middle of nowhere in the Nevada desert another annoying crow showed up.
    He was alone and persistent.
    Unfortunately for him there are no witnesses out here and I’m a crack shot with my Steyr.

[emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say $.50 worth of pellets should take care of the problem.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe one of those owls that people use to keep gulls and dives away. Probably have to move it around from time to time. I like the pellet idea also.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. & Mrs. G View Post
    Would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. Birds, most likely Ravens are attacking/damaging the roof on my 337RLS. The damage is along the edges, front/back and both sides. They seem to be attracted to the sealant and have actually made holes in the roof membrane.

Trailer is a 2018 337RLS. Unless I'm mistaken the roof membrane is Alpha Systems Superflex membrane and sealant.

I don't think bird damage is a warranty issue and I'm hesitant to make an insurance claim. Any ideas/advice welcome.

Erick
    Could there be something in the gutter rails that they are going after like bugs, small berries/nuts etc. ? Was the RV parked under an area where this may have occurred ?

This makes me think about when we see birds (mainly Robins) occasionally in our gutters at home looking for bugs I suspect. We have noticed it when leaves come drifting down past the windows and see the mess of leaves on the ground or pavement. Free gutter and bug cleaning.....nice !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a thread like this on the Good Sam's forum a while back. The RV was on a seasonal site and I forget what kind of birds were doing the damage. It was suggested that the person having the problem get a couple of raw chickens (or a large package of chicken parts) and throw them on a neighbor's roof a couple of sites down. Sounds like it would be effective...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There was a thread like this on the Good Sam's forum a while back. The RV was on a seasonal site and I forget what kind of birds were doing the damage. It was suggested that the person having the problem get a couple of raw chickens (or a large package of chicken parts) and throw them on a neighbor's roof a couple of sites down. Sounds like it would be effective...

Rob
    OK, now that is funny,.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live along the Tennessee River in North Alabama. We have problems at boat ramps and State Park marinas with vultures eating the rubber on pickup truck windshield wipers and any rubber item visible like around windshields. And a pack of vultures' talons absolutely destroy truck hoods and roofs.

I could see where the same creatures could be a serious problem to any RV with a "rubber roof" membrane and the sealants. This might be an issue. Crows are also the type of birds that could cause such problems to RVs.

My problem is with Big Bird, our neighborhood Blue Heron. That rascal sits on the back of my Bennington tritoon boat's lounge bed (in a boathouse) waiting for fish to troll by. And his talons have just torn my vinyl to pieces.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed marks in the rear roof sealant that looks like birds pecking at it. They didn't get through it, but hundreds of peck marks. Must be something about the sealant they like. The factory applied a very thin coat of sealant here so I applied a generous amount. No way the little peckers are going to get through now. Big birds could be another story.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could try adding a film of habenaro sauce along the edge. Would need to re-apply after each rain. I used the stuff to keep my puppy from chewing the furniture - then she grew up and started liking the stuff

You might get buy with ammonia too.
    Just thinking out loud.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast