User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post

--until big brother adds some form of tax to make up for lost revenue on fuel tax. Somebody gotta pay for the roads.
    A mileage based tax (that could replace the fuel tax) is already being tested and studied in several states.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, I agree that new Battery Electric Trucks are going to make huge differences to the towing and hauling world. Unfortunately, a lot of people's minds need to be enlightened about how awesome the possibility of towing with an Electric powered truck (pickup) will be.

Tesla, (and Elon) have done an amazing thing by creating, not just a Battery Electric Car, but they created a FANTASTIC Car that provides a FANTASTIC Driving Experience. If the Model S, or Model X, had been another "Econo Box" like all the previous EVs that the "Big Three" auto makers had previously produced, we would not be seeing the bright Electrified Future that we can now see coming in the next few years (less than a Decade). Without the Model S and X being such compelling vehicles that people want to own and drive, Ford, Jaguar, Mercedes, Hyundai (and Kia), would not have produced the compelling Electric Vehicles that are now available (or soon to be available) for purchase.

In order for this EV thing to work, many things need to converge for the world to make the switch to electrified transportation. Batteries need to become cheaper, lighter weight, more reliable and more plentiful. Charging networks need to be built out so people can travel long distances without getting stranded along the way. Fast Charging stations and networks need to be plentiful, so people can charge up and get on their way as fast as possible. And, most importantly, automakers need to continue to make EVs that are so much better than their Fossil Fuel counterparts that buying an EV is the most logical choice any car (or truck) buyer could make. By-the-way, EVs are so much cheaper to operate, that financially, it makes a lot of sense to buy an EV today, if an EV can fill 90% of your automotive needs.

Everything that I mentioned above is coming together, right now, today, in the USA.

Batteries have gotten cheaper, VW just announced that they are buying batteries for $100 per Kwh, Tesla has previously stated that their costs were near $100 per Kwh, and falling, $100 per Kwh battery cost is important because it has long been speculated that $100 per Kwh batteries would be the point where EVs could be produced as cheaply as Fossil Fuel Vehicles and car makers could begin offering low priced, mass produced, cars that would match the prices of the lowest priced vehicles they sell.

In the US, the charging infrastructure has begun to be built so you can traverse this expansive country and always be within range of your next charging station. Just take a look at "Electrify America's" coverage map, you will be amazed at how many fast charging stations have been installed across the country in only the past year.

As far as automakers making compelling Electric Trucks, I believe that Ford has a VERY Compelling Electric F-150 that they will be introducing within the next 12 to 18 months (to be sold in 2022). Rivian has produced a compelling "Sport Truck" that will fit the needs of many truck buyers and they will be selling those in 2020. And, Tesla will introduce their Electric Pickup to the World later today (11:00 pm EST). I am certain the Tesla Pickup will have mind-blowing specs for towing and range.

As far as costs go, if you look at the operating costs of an Electric Vehicle compared to the operating costs of a fossil fuel vehicle and not just the purchase price, you will find that the EV is often the better choice, both from a financial standpoint and a "Fun to Drive" standpoint.
    Lets dwell on the infrastructure discussion a bit. Electric cars/trucks are still limited by range due to charge capacity and long charge times between. For this reason I would think they are more or better suited to commuter / close conveyance duty.
    Everyone looses sight of where the electricity is coming from to power the multitudes of electric cars we all want because they are perceived as "green". Most of the electrical grid in this country is still supplied by coal fired plants. How green do you think they are? Natural gas, because of it's low cost is quickly becoming the replacement fossil fuel of choice. Much cleaner but still has CO emissions. Nuclear plants, while the cleanest source of electricity are now being retired due to age and of related high maintenance costs. It is prohibitively expensive to build new ones. The three projects that were in the works 8 years ago have ceased construction or gone belly up. Unit 1 at Three Mile Island was recently taken off line for good. Solar and wind power while a nice thought takes up vast amounts of land/space and without tax subsidies really isn't viable yet. Quite frankly I see them as scars on the landscape. Do your research and contribute what you think
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the source of the electricity (and emissions) for the battery-electric revolution is a big issue that doesn't get a lot of press. I've always felt that we need to launch an effort like the Manhattan Project that is directed at designing inherently-safe nuclear power systems. This may seem impossible given our global history of reactor incidents, but I would submit it isn't. Nuclear power in the USA has never really had the unlimited-budget best-and-brightest treatment that the weapons programs have enjoyed. Of course, the direct conversion of matter to energy is the holy grail here... but I am thankful on a daily basis that we haven't sorted that out yet. I think it's quite obvious that mankind couldn't handle that (ape with a hand-grenade).
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 11-21-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve. My husband and I have a 2020 Reflection 367, 39'. We are newbies to this lifestyle and are enjoying our Reflection. We have lived in it now for 6 months. We bought it new. just reading through these blogs and am curious about the solar aspect. How do you get solar hooked up to the rig? I'm sure it is expensive and we are not in the market now, but am very interested in upgrading to solar power down the road. Can you give me any tips or help on how we would set that all up?

laura

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^Laura do a search on the forum for solar and/or boon docking and you will fine hours of reading on this subject.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fearless View Post
    Can you give me any tips or help on how we would set that all up?

laura
    What @vonzoog said. In a nutshell, you need solar panels, a charge controller, beefed up batteries, an inverter(/charger) heavy gauge wires to connect it all, and fuses all over the place. People do all sorts of fancy stuff beyond that.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12