User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from San Luis Obispo, California

Hello,

We are in the process of purchasing a 2020 Ford F-250 and Solitude 2930RL. We hope to have both by September. We retired last month and plan on spending the majority of our time "on the road" over the next several years. Looking forward to many exciting adventures!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and congratulations on your retirements ! There are a few 2930 owners who have posted several times since that great floor plan was released. If you conduct a search on 2930 you will be able to read these.

By the way, you may wish to consider a 350 rather than the 250. Payloads on particularly diesel 250s are in the 2200 lbs. +/- range depending on options/models/etc. Just your empty pin weight of the 2930 will pretty much use this up with no room for loading the RV not to mention, hitch, folks in the truck, gear in the truck etc. which could approach another 1000 lbs.

Yes, many folks use 250/2500s for heavy trailers (maybe adding air bags/other suspension mods/possibly tires/etc.) but that payload sticker in your door pillar is an important consideration and is not increased with modifications.

There are MANY MANY threads on this topic and you may want to conduct a search on payload and do some reading to make a more informed and safe decision.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the advice. The short story is I was able to change the order for the truck to an F-350 without too much headache.

The longer (more painful) story is I did a lot of research and talked to quite a few people and the number that got beaten into my head was towing capacity. The payload number honestly never came into play. A friend had mentioned it this past weekend and I have been thinking about it ever since. Your response was the final thing that made me decide. Having spent 6 years of my life on a Nuclear Submarine, where everything overbuilt, that is just the way I live my life. This will be another example of having more truck than I might need but certainly very safe.

Take care,

Ed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rgreenz View Post
    Hi Dan,

Thank you for the advice. The short story is I was able to change the order for the truck to an F-350 without too much headache.

The longer (more painful) story is I did a lot of research and talked to quite a few people and the number that got beaten into my head was towing capacity. The payload number honestly never came into play. A friend had mentioned it this past weekend and I have been thinking about it ever since. Your response was the final thing that made me decide. Having spent 6 years of my life on a Nuclear Submarine, where everything overbuilt, that is just the way I live my life. This will be another example of having more truck than I might need but certainly very safe.

Take care,

Ed
    Ed - good to hear ! Yup, most folks never think about payload just "can it tow it ?" I think we all have gone through that. After you get your new truck and 2930 all loaded up, it will be interesting to see what your scale weights are. You may be surprised how heavy it all will be and the payload. You will have to share your numbers.

Frank @frank4711 joined the forum in January with his new 2930. He has shared many good posts on various aspects. Maybe he will chime in with any helpful items to share.

My brother's grandson is on one of the new Nuclear subs as a nuclear reactor tech of some sort. Our dad was in the Navy in WWII so to have another family member in the Navy and on this sub is special. He was so excited to be assigned to this new sub when it was launched a couple years ago.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide