User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Outage and EMS questions

We had a power outage the other day where the power flipped off and came right back on. We had our camper plugged in and had the AC and refrigerator on at the time. I have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C unit wired in. After the power flipped off I noticed the AC was not working and the refrigerator was beeping. Then I noticed that the digital readout on the EMS unit was dark. I reset the fridge and it seemed to be working and I put the AC back on and it started up but did not stay on. I also noticed the light on the TV was out. I was going to call Progressive Industries tech support and get their recommendations but I decided to check out as much as I could. I started with the shore power after tuning everything off. I reset the breaker to the outlet that the RV is plugged into. Then I rest all the breakers in the RV. After all this, I plugged the RV back in and started checking out the RV. Immediately I noticed the digital readout on the EMS unit was back on as was the light on the TV. The fridge and AC both turned back on as well. I feel like I dodged a bullet as I was worried something got fried. So my questions are: Should I keep power plugged in to the RV while it is parked? We won't always run the AC and fridge but it seems like this would keep the battery charged. Should I keep the EMS unit in the on position? I know the circuit is good so I have had it in the off position while parked under our RV shed. The Progressive Industries manual says it provides surge protection even in the off mode. Please let me know your experiences, thanks.
    Evan & Mary
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, this will help. It is copied and pasted from the Progressive Industries Instruction manual for your unit...............

"• Time Delay for A/C Compressor: If AC power is interrupted or the EMS detects a
    fault condition, the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the
    EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air
    conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second
    delay, if not, use the 136-seconds delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds."
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider711 View Post
    Should I keep the EMS unit in the on position? I know the circuit is good so I have had it in the off position while parked under our RV shed. The Progressive Industries manual says it provides surge protection even in the off mode. Please let me know your experiences, thanks.
    Simple answer: yes. I forgot that there was even and on/off switch on the PI EMS-HW50C; mine has never been off (in about 9+ years). We keep our rig garaged when not using and I still leave it on.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    FYI
    If the EMS detects a fault such as low voltage it will register the corresponding error code on the display and disconnect your RV from shore power. We’ve had this happen several times staying at various campgrounds on the West coast. Power will remain off until it is cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I keep the EMS unit in the on position? I know the circuit is good so I have had it in the off position while parked under our RV shed. The Progressive Industries manual says it provides surge protection even in the off mode.
    Absolutely leave the EMS switch on! Turning it to the off position doesn't turn off power to the RV - it bypasses the protection features of the EMS while still passing (possibly bad) power to the RV. Ours always stays in the on position.

We had a situation last winter where we experienced something similar to what you are describing. It turned out to be an intermittently faulty 50 amp breaker on the power stanchion. The park called their electrician who came and replaced the breaker - fixed the problem.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned above, dont bypass the unit. Your power might be good at home, but what if there is a brown out or something that causes voltage to drop. You'd be pretty upset with yourself if damage occurred and it could have been prevented by the position of a switch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked back after recycling all the breakers and the EMS had a previous error PE2 code for an open ground. I guess that is what happens when the power flickers off and on. It is back to an E0 code and seems to be working correctly.
    Evan & Mary
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked back after recycling all the breakers and the EMS had a previous error PE2 code for an open ground. I guess that is what happens when the power flickers off and on. It is back to an E0 code and seems to be working correctly.
    No - open ground is not evidence of a simple power outage. It's evidence of a wiring problem within the park power box/connector.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it could be a loose ground wire somewhere at the source or an issue with the shore power cord having a ground that is breaking and barely making contact. An intermittent power failure wont show a previous error code.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH