Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by theroadcalls View Post
    Hi everyone...in my first post last week I got great input...hoping to get a little more info here. I have a family of four and we are looking to full time for 1 year. I am trying to decide between a 5th wheel (likely 28BH) and a TT (likely 2400BH or a Ref 312)...I am leaning towards a TT because it would make it easier to carry 4 bikes and 2 double kayaks on racks on the truck. However, the 5th wheel seems much more livable for this long on the road. Are there good carry options for 4 bikes and two 14' kayaks when pulling a 5th wheel? The general plan is to drop the trailer at location and stay for 2-3 weeks at a time...so most of our mileage will just be in the truck.

Thanks!
    We carry our bikes up front. I have a bike rack similar to you see on the front of some public buses but more heavy. We used to carry 3 bikes up front but now only carry 2. The bike rack fits in a front hitch receiver. Best place for us to carry bikes.

We tried carrying the bikes on the back of a truck camper before we moved up to a 5th wheel but there was too much bounce.

I have been told that you cannot carry bikes on the front of newer pick-up trucks because of various sensors. My truck is a 2003, so no worries there. If you have an older truck, I can go out and take pictures of our bike rack and send it to you, and also look around to see if they still make these. It is really easy to use - no straps, bungy cords, etc.

I have seen that rear rack that has been mentioned in the thread online. Not sure you could get 2 kayaks on there and 4 bikes. Maybe two kayaks and two bikes. It looks like a decent setup but pay attenetion to the kayak length. You would need to have two short kayaks.

I think the better option if you want to carry the kayaks and the bikes is the travel trailer option where you can load all of that in the back of your pickup and on a pickup rack. Also easier to carry around when you get to your destination.

Pay attention to the cargo carrying capacity when shopping for a new trailer. I suspect full-timing will require hauling additional cargo.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack this thread but how much space is needed between the back of the kayak and front of the 5th wheel? I have a Reflection 29RS and have 3' between the back of the truck cab and the front of the trailer. I haven't watched how close the front of the trailer gets to my truck rear window during sharp turns, I usually just watch the side corners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the ladder racks from Northern Tool. They fit 2 12' kayaks. We put a hitch receiver on the bumper for our bike rack.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV with Yak.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	30292
    Evan & Mary
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider711 View Post
    I bought the ladder racks from Northern Tool. They fit 2 12' kayaks. We put a hitch receiver on the bumper for our bike rack.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV with Yak.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	30292
    Did you reinforced the bumper?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1UP USA tray type bike rack on the back of the trailer. For kayaks, I used a Curt receiver on the front of the truck, a thule 'goalpost' in the front receiver and a single thule rack on top of the cab. I've had up to 3 kayaks on top with no issues on an 8 hour trip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200910_135132 (2).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	30303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200910_135219 (2).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	30317
    Last edited by petroniod; 10-22-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made sure my the rear end of my kayaks didn't extend past the back of the truck cab.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petroniod View Post
    I have a 1UP USA tray type bike rack on the back of the trailer. For kayaks, I used a Curt receiver on the front of the truck, a thule 'goalpost' in the front receiver and a single thule rack on top of the cab. I've had up to 3 kayaks on top with no issues on an 8 hour trip.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200910_135132 (2).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	30303
    How far did your kayaks extend from the back of your roof? How much clearance between the back of the yaks and your trailer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    How far did your kayaks extend from the back of your roof? How much clearance between the back of the yaks and your trailer?
    Texdan, the kayak's in the pic are 16.5' & 13' in length. Neither extended beyond the back of the roof. The single Thule rack on the roof is about 9" back from the top edge of the windshield. Didn't need the 2nd roof rack that normally would have been positioned around the middle of the rear door. The Thule goalpost on the front wouldn't extend to the same height as the load bar on the roof, so the kayaks are sloped a little forward. I don't think you could use this type of set-up for a kayak shorter than 11.5 or 12 feet because your straps be about a foot from the nose & tail. The kayak's do make a nice sunshade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Did you reinforced the bumper?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I didn't do anything to the bumper. The hitch receiver bolts on. So far it has worked well for 2 bikes. If you wanted you could weld it on and not worry about the bolts. I used blue loctite on the threads.
    Evan & Mary
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Petronoid. My yak is 11 feet. I am hoping I don't need a goal post set up but took measurements yesterday and looks like I could leave about 16" behind cab. But this would leave about 4 ft in front of the windshield unsupported and wonder if that's too much?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast