User Tag List

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcamper View Post
    Thank you for posting this mod. I received my Titan fans and ran into the same lack of space when attaching the fans to top vent. I managed to move them up one inch and secured with zip ties so the frame is touching the top fins. I can close the vent but worry about the fans so close to the fins. Would this be an issue?
    Doubt it would be an issue. The fins are for cooling only.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcamper View Post
    Thank you for posting this mod. I received my Titan fans and ran into the same lack of space when attaching the fans to top vent. I managed to move them up one inch and secured with zip ties so the frame is touching the top fins. I can close the vent but worry about the fans so close to the fins. Would this be an issue?
    I agree with Lexx. Probably not an issue, but let us know after trying it for a few days!

On a side note, I bought a new 5er. It has the same issue with a frig in the slide. This time I'm going to do it right with a better looking finished result. Stay tuned for pics... 😁

Boomer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do. Waiting to get the inline fuse delivered before I make my connections.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut a 1 inch by 8 inch piece from the top middle of the baffle to give my Titan fans room to fit. But I had also placed some insulation along the bottom of the baffle (to block air from seeping up along the wall) and just that bit of tension ended up popping the baffle off on the last trip. This spring I am going to replace the wood baffle with reflectix. Then it will flex under the fan. I installed the fans a bit differently, which resulted in a good looking mod. I used two brown camco 4 inch vents and popped them out of the case. On the front of the fan I cut bug screen to fit and then tie-wrapped the vent covers onto the fans, side by side. Next I cut out an 8 inch section of the dometic vent just enough to fit the vents in and then tie-wrapped it all to the dometic vent. I finished off the top and bottom with black sealant (that was after these photos). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	598F43FB-CB07-4C96-9F11-7AA9CFF1EB0E.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	374.4 KB 
ID:	31003. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40F6120E-0C9A-4759-AC62-5E3DE3651286.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	805.5 KB 
ID:	31004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	076FF2EA-A3DC-4541-84A9-B427F26E8AB9.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	31005
    Hopefully these pictures attach properly.
    Gail and Chip
    Fairfax, VA
    2019 F350 short bed, SRW, gasoline with 4.3 axle ratio
    2019 Reflection 337 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C&G+Max View Post
    I cut a 1 inch by 8 inch piece from the top middle of the baffle to give my Titan fans room to fit. But I had also placed some insulation along the bottom of the baffle (to block air from seeping up along the wall) and just that bit of tension ended up popping the baffle off on the last trip. This spring I am going to replace the wood baffle with reflectix. Then it will flex under the fan. I installed the fans a bit differently, which resulted in a good looking mod. I used two brown camco 4 inch vents and popped them out of the case. On the front of the fan I cut bug screen to fit and then tie-wrapped the vent covers onto the fans, side by side. Next I cut out an 8 inch section of the dometic vent just enough to fit the vents in and then tie-wrapped it all to the dometic vent. I finished off the top and bottom with black sealant (that was after these photos). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	598F43FB-CB07-4C96-9F11-7AA9CFF1EB0E.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	374.4 KB 
ID:	31003. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40F6120E-0C9A-4759-AC62-5E3DE3651286.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	805.5 KB 
ID:	31004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	076FF2EA-A3DC-4541-84A9-B427F26E8AB9.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	31005
    Hopefully these pictures attach properly.
    Very nice C&G!! I'll be using the same Famco vent covers. Right now my plan is to attach them to the outside of the Dometic cover. Thanks for sharing your mod...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefxstc View Post
    You could use something like this to switch the power on and off for the fan. I would use some thermal epoxie and just glue it to the fins. Not sure what the correct temperature is, but should probably be something higher than what you could expect normally since you only want the fan on when the fridge is running. This one turns on at 105F, but you can get other temperatures and handles 15A at 12Vdc for $6.80 plus shipping. The switch is normally open, so no current flow until it gets to the temperature, and then it closes to allow current flow for fan operation. Wire connection uses standard quick connectors so easy to install and cheap.

Attachment 27607
    I got one that turns on at 100 and off at 85.

Also got 2 200mm fans that move 76 cfm each.

Interestingly enough, I have the Norcold 1210 with no baffles. Looks like the clearance is pretty much to spec. Mine is the Reflection 315rlts with the fridge in the slide.

I will post pics when done.

I will also say my fridge has been working perfect, but I do hear the fan turn on and off.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I have seen several people installing fans like this and I think folks are missing a crucial step...
    You need to close up the other areas where the hot air was exiting before you installed the fans.

If you don't do this last step, the fans aren't sucking air in from the bottom vent, they're sucking air in all around the fans.
    Air takes the path of least resistance, just like water. Imagine if this was under water.
    Those little fans wouldn't draw water all the way up from the bottom of the refrigerator, six feet away, they're not powerful enough for that.
    Water would simply come into the top vent all around the fans then pass through the fans then out.

The yellow arrows in the graphic below show the path of air entering the vent (being sucked in) and the red arrows shows the actual path of the air exiting. I'm sure "some" of the hot air rising up inside the chamber gets pushed out, but I'd bet the majority of the air going out, followed the path of the yellow arrows and never even touched the fins on the back of the fridge.

I'm planning on doing this mod very soon, but I'll be covering up the top vents except for where the fans are so that the only place it can pull air from is the bottom vent, below the refrigerator. Something like the 2nd graphic.
    (I crudely made).

Attachment 28769

Attachment 28770
    You are so right. I like your shroud. I think we can even go one step further, and close off areas we don't want air flowing. Many of these rigs as we have seen have large areas above that are open. Closing that off to direct and limit the flow will also increase performance.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 12-05-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good video explaining the importance of how the fridge baffles and airflow would work to create the chimney effect to rid the space of heat.

Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a good solid look at my fridge install and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. GD did an excellent job. Solid chimney effect and clearance that is perfect. There is a piece of wood that is in place in the top vent that acts as a shroud to direct the air. I will take a picture tomorrow. My only issue is that it does block a large portion of the vent to direct the air. I did purchase two fans to help move the air, and was thinking of cutting holes in the wood shroud for the fans.

I need to add that my fridge is in the slide.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I took a good solid look at my fridge install and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. GD did an excellent job. Solid chimney effect and clearance that is perfect. There is a piece of wood that is in place in the top vent that acts as a shroud to direct the air. I will take a picture tomorrow. My only issue is that it does block a large portion of the vent to direct the air. I did purchase two fans to help move the air, and was thinking of cutting holes in the wood shroud for the fans.

I need to add that my fridge is in the slide.

I also got a well designed enclosure for my fridge and grateful for it. I have seen other rigs and their fridges struggle to keep that cold without the proper chimney effect in the slides. Live and learn, I now will definitely be inspecting this area on my next purchase.

I was able to cable tie my fan about one inch up on the vent and it just clears the top wood edge. Also, around the opening is aluminum tubing where I also thought of drilling on two small L brackets to attach the fan to via cable ties. That would of put the fans in front of the fins.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast