User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: GFCI wiring

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GFI outlets are all tied together on a trailer. Sometimes you need to poke the reset button quite hard to get it to reset. It helps to use a pen or pencil to push it in with enough force.
    Ian
    2015 Reflection 29RES
    2013 RAM 3500 HD long box SRW
    British Columbia, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing plugged into any outlet no power on the trailer at this time. Yes all GFI same circuit oh I poked it lots of times lol with the end of a common screwdriver.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    Nothing plugged into any outlet no power on the trailer at this time. Yes all GFI same circuit oh I poked it lots of times lol with the end of a common screwdriver.
    Are you shure you have power coming in to the RV. Maybe a circuit breaker tripped at the power source.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    I have had a popup, and this is my third 5th wheel and have never had this type of issue. Cant get it in anywhere for repairs before I am heading to Texas in 2 weeks so I guess I will take it as is and use extension cords. I sincerely appreciate all the help maybe someone with a 320G will pipe in with some info. But keep the suggestion coming I am learning a lot.
    Send me a private message if you would like me to walk you through step by step of troubleshooting over the phone. I'm 100% confident we can figure this out for you. I'm a recently retired electrician with over 37 years in the trade.... and I won't let you do ANYTHING to let you get hurt. Well electrically hurt anyway, lol.

**EDIT** I sent you a Private Message with my number.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 05-05-2021 at 07:04 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah plenty of power on the regular 120 side of things.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I recall that somewhere or sometime that someone had a circuit breaker or GFIC tripping because of a short on one of the wires in the camper. It might have been a screw that was installed in the wrong place or something like that.

If there is 120v on the input to the GFIC that is tripping then one suggestion is to start disconnecting each receptacle one-by-one starting at the end of the branch circuit working toward the GFIc receptacle. Maybe you find the source of what is causing the GFIC to trip that way.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was another post, it wasn't a GFCI tripping, but hot skin shock, with 2 wiring problems being the cause.

RV is shocking me!!
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post200266
    Hey guys, here is what the problem was .....
    At the Texas rally on 10/27 I had a bedroom outlet replaced by one of the GD techs ...... problem is the ground wire was not properly trimmed and was wrapped around and touching the hot conductor/terminal. I had an electrician repair this outlet and the problem was resolved.
    It took us a few hours to find the problem because I never imagined it to be the replaced outlet.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post203214
    Hey guys, here is an update to this ….. this past Sunday we disconnected the exterior Furrion power inlet plug-in outlet (where I connect my 50amp power cord to my RV) and found the ground wire on the outside of the ground connection point. The set screw was completely seated and not making any connection to the ground wire.
    We backed off the set screw and inserted the ground wire and re-set the set screw.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrvman View Post
    GFI outlets are all tied together on a trailer. Sometimes you need to poke the reset button quite hard to get it to reset. It helps to use a pen or pencil to push it in with enough force.
    Outlets as in several? Nope. There is seldom more than one GFI and if there is a second one, it would be dedicated to a separate circuit. There is no need to daisy chain GFIs as one will protect all of the downstream standard outlets tied to it given they are wired correctly.
    There is a ton of information on the Internet on GFIs and how they work.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I think I recall that somewhere or sometime that someone had a circuit breaker or GFIC tripping because of a short on one of the wires in the camper. It might have been a screw that was installed in the wrong place or something like that.

If there is 120v on the input to the GFIC that is tripping then one suggestion is to start disconnecting each receptacle one-by-one starting at the end of the branch circuit working toward the GFIc receptacle. Maybe you find the source of what is causing the GFIC to trip that way.
    There really is no way of knowing where the "end of the branch circuit" is or how everything is wired without a schematic diagram. But if by chance you do have drawings and you've eliminated the source as being the problem the easiest way to troubleshoot any circuit with multiple devices is to start in the middle of the circuit and open it and check it both upstream and downstream... that way you automatically eliminate 1/2 of the devices. Next check is to break the half still showing a problem in the middle again eliminating 1/2 of those devices.... continuing this method until you find the problem.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 05-06-2021 at 02:36 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparky I took a GFI tester and checked each outlet labeled GFI when I first had the problem and no power to any that is why I figured it had to be a circuit breaker but with no breaker labeled GFI hard to figure out.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast