User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repairs won't be done for our next trip! What would you do?

Hello Everyone

Our dealer has had our 2021 240ML for A MONTH!
    We were due to pick it up today and were told the refrigerator AND A/C have NOT been fixed! The dealer is waiting on parts.

Although I totally understand the dilemma the dealer is in due to COVID-19 delays, etc. I really can't see camping for 2 weeks without a refrigerator or A/C. I am heading to the White Mountains in NH.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.
    Should I ask for a loaner from the dealer? (If a car dealership can't repair your car, they typically offer one. Especially, when the vehicle is brand new and under warranty.)

Getting a loaner would be a total PIA because all of our personal items would need to be switched over . . .

Thoughts????

Thank you!
    ~ Kathy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Girl View Post
    Hello Everyone

Our dealer has had our 2021 240ML for A MONTH!
    We were due to pick it up today and were told the refrigerator AND A/C have NOT been fixed! The dealer is waiting on parts.

Although I totally understand the dilemma the dealer is in due to COVID-19 delays, etc. I really can't see camping for 2 weeks without a refrigerator or A/C. I am heading to the White Mountains in NH.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.
    Should I ask for a loaner from the dealer? (If a car dealership can't repair your car, they typically offer one. Especially, when the vehicle is brand new and under warranty.)

Getting a loaner would be a total PIA because all of our personal items would need to be switched over . . .

Thoughts????

Thank you!
    ~ Kathy
    Your 'loaner' RV is also called a rental. RV dealers are NOT like car dealers. They don't provide loaners. But it doesn't hurt to ask. But be prepared for a big laugh.

Not knowing the particulars of your refrigerator and A/C problems it is hard to say what you could do. Part of the problem may be the dealer is waiting for OEM parts from the appliance manufacturer (ie dometic, norcold, coleman, furrion, etc . . .) where if I were making a repair I would look for non OEM parts. For instance if you need a control board for the refrigerator there are aftermarket control boards available from other companies for most RV appliances. If these fall under warranty repairs then they are certainly going to use OEM repair parts.

If you could provide information on what the dealer says the problem is maybe the forum members could provide some more insight on repair options. But ultimately, unless you are willing to source the parts and make the repairs yourself, or have a mobile tech make the repairs you are at the mercy of the dealer.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply OurNewEra!

Here are more details regarding my problems
    . We need a new fridge. One is on order with the manufacturer.
    . We need a new thermostat. That too is on order from the manufacturer.

I'm angry because noone called to tell us the camper would not be ready today. If I hadn't called, I'm not sure anyone would have been looking at the status of the parts that were on order.

I'm wondering if I should reach out to GD for some help.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to RV ownership. Loaners don't exist.

If the trip cant be rescheduled, innovate.

Find a small dorm or office fridge at Costco or Sam's that will be good enough (assuming you have hookups) for the trip and repurpose it later. We never have enough fridge space at home as it is.

AC is nice, but fans worked wonders when we were younger and AC didn't exist yet... or find a way to replace the thermostat yourself.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dorm fridge is a good idea. Also a large 7 day cooler would work in a pinch.

If the AC is really just a thermostat I'm guessing you could source one and get that shipped overnight if need be. Can't be too hard replacing a thermostat.

I'm with you on the lack of communication. Almost makes you wish you didn't call and just showed up at the dealer ready to pick up the camper.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dealer taking a month to repair something isn't even a little bit noteworthy. Even in normal times, 3 or 4 months isn't unheard of.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    A dealer taking a month to repair something isn't even a little bit noteworthy. Even in normal times, 3 or 4 months isn't unheard of.
    I'm surprised they gave you a completion date to pick up even.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the site you have booked, I likely wouldn't delay a trip to the white mountains due to lack of AC. A lot of the places up there have plenty of shade. Couple that w/ a fan or two and you should be OK. If you were heading out west, that'd be a different story.

Of more concern would be if you can even get your rig out of the dealership and/or what condition is it in right now? Is it all taken apart and just set aside waiting for parts? Good luck!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Girl View Post
    Thanks for your reply OurNewEra!

Here are more details regarding my problems
    . We need a new fridge. One is on order with the manufacturer.
    . We need a new thermostat. That too is on order from the manufacturer.

I'm angry because noone called to tell us the camper would not be ready today. If I hadn't called, I'm not sure anyone would have been looking at the status of the parts that were on order.

I'm wondering if I should reach out to GD for some help.

Others have made some good points. Also, a lot (not all) of RV Dealers do a really bad job of communication and follow-up. Unfortuantely if you want the updates you are going to have to contact them. Do not expect them to contact you. The dorm fridge is a good option. That's what we used in our old trailer prior to purchasing our new trailer. Here is what I would do in your situation assuming your trip cannot be changed.

1. If this is warranty repairs I would call Grand Design with your VIN and verify that the dealer has actually opened a case for the warranty repairs on your trailer. I have read posts by other members that called GD to verify the dealer had opened a case and they had not. If the case is open great! If not then there's a problem somewhere, especially for warranty repairs. They may be able to help but fridges are on the 'short supply' list.
    2. I would tell the dealer you are picking up the trailer and to call you when the new fridge comes in.
    3. Buy a new thermostat on line and swap it out so you have A/C. They are about $50 on Amazon for the basic Dometic, Coleman and $65.00 for a Furrion.

I would say the lack of a refrigerator fridge is easier to deal with should you really, really need the A/C. No A/C is no A/C. You can use coolers or 110v small fridges for food.

I hope it works out for you. I'll be up their in September staying at the KOA at the base of Mount Washington visiting my son that lives in Boston. He'll drive up to met us. As for the A/C, you may need it. He was hotter in Boston yesterday than we were here in Central Florida. The weather world is upside down!
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is our 3rd RV and we never had problems like this!
    These are more than new RV kinks.

We have a dorm fridge. It's going to be small for 4 people for 2 weeks. For the price I paid for the RV I shouldn't have to use coolers and dorm fridges.

Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    Welcome to RV ownership. Loaners don't exist.

If the trip cant be rescheduled, innovate.

Find a small dorm or office fridge at Costco or Sam's that will be good enough (assuming you have hookups) for the trip and repurpose it later. We never have enough fridge space at home as it is.

AC is nice, but fans worked wonders when we were younger and AC didn't exist yet... or find a way to replace the thermostat yourself.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast