User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water tank falling out

I have a 230rl 5th wheel. Just got back from a weekend trip and noticed the under belly coming down. After further inspection, I see that the water tank is deformed and falling out. Anyone know what tank to replace it with?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For specific tank replacement information, you would have to contact GD Customer Service. Often the tanks are OK and it's the support system that needs replacing/repairing/beefing up. How badly is the tank deformed?

BTW, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too, but I'm a few steps ahead of you. When my tank slipped I thought it was an earthquake!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-09-03 12.40.44.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	37113

I took mine to a guy that repairs tanks of many sizes and types. He said it's ok, as the fold area doesn't have holes or cracks. (Front left in the photo)

I opted to put 1/2" plywood under all my tanks. They are all mounted the same way and showing signs of the same sagging as the fresh tank. (Insert rant) The plywood is held by 1.5" slotted steel angle, hung from the frame by 1/4" threaded rod. I used the same method on my slinky storage tubes.

Name:	2020-04-09 15.34.32.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	37114
    My fresh tank has 3 bars and the smaller tanks have 2. Interestingly, the fresh tank didn't need any drop but the other needed about 2".

I can post some more photos in a few days. My coroplast is just starting to get replaced. While I was at it, I put heat tape on some water lines, reworked the fresh tank overflow and generally cleaned up some questionable wiring and water routing.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I ended up getting a new tank . I made up some new support brackets to hold the tank in better. I would some pictures. Old tank strapClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211003_205432.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	37246

Name:	20211014_101123.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	37247new tank strapsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211014_101142.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	37248
    Last edited by Tessmanbuilders; 10-17-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessmanbuilders View Post
    Thanks guys! I ended up getting a new tank . I made up some new support brackets to hold the tank in better. I would some pictures. Old tank strapClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211003_205432.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	37246

Name:	20211014_101123.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	37247new tank strapsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211014_101142.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	37248
    It is difficult to tell and I don't know what is behind the main braces. I truly hope you didn't attach the straps with self tapping screws that have the business ends facing and / or rubbing the tank. Just sayin' in case.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screws are not in to the tank . I also added rubber strip on top of the strap to help protect the tank from wearing
    2019 reflection 230rl
    2019 3500hd cc sb duramax
    Pull rite super glide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessmanbuilders View Post
    Thanks guys! I ended up getting a new tank . I made up some new support brackets to hold the tank in better.
    I wish I had even your first tank straps. I considered doing something like this but had doubts about sagging straps. So here is my solution (sorry for delaying the photos), not as neat and pretty.

My fresh tank Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-10-20 11.54.00.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	37314, blank and gray 1 tanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-10-20 11.53.04.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	37315, gray 2 is similar but no photos.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to add a comment about traveling with tanks full, it is not recommended by Lippert or Grand Design. After much discussion with Lippert techs at their Goshen shop, the main reason is that the tanks do not have baffles and the water sloshing starts to create issues to the main floor structure above and also their frame. And yes, even if full. This was surprising to me because there are times I need to fill up freshwater to get to my campsite. They told me to do this driving very slowly to minimize the sloshing. I also asked about how much water would be ok to travel with for overnight stops at Harvest Hosts or other. Between 5-10 gallons max. So now I fill up 5 gallons and bring an extra 5 in the truck if needed.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcamper View Post
    I wanted to add a comment about traveling with tanks full, it is not recommended by Lippert or Grand Design. After much discussion with Lippert techs at their Goshen shop, the main reason is that the tanks do not have baffles and the water sloshing starts to create issues to the main floor structure above and also their frame. And yes, even if full. This was surprising to me because there are times I need to fill up freshwater to get to my campsite. They told me to do this driving very slowly to minimize the sloshing. I also asked about how much water would be ok to travel with for overnight stops at Harvest Hosts or other. Between 5-10 gallons max. So now I fill up 5 gallons and bring an extra 5 in the truck if needed.
    This is disheartening to me, it seems like a major design flaw.

I am on my 3rd year of 100% boondocking with full tanks on every trip. Looks like my winter project will be to add reinforcement to the tanks even though it does not address what Lippert told you. I hope to add extra metal straps to the surrounding frame supports to add strength to the frame around the tanks.

We'll see...
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    This is disheartening to me, it seems like a major design flaw.

I am on my 3rd year of 100% boondocking with full tanks on every trip. Looks like my winter project will be to add reinforcement to the tanks even though it does not address what Lippert told you. I hope to add extra metal straps to the surrounding frame supports to add strength to the frame around the tanks.

We'll see...
    It was disheartening to me as well but made perfect sense. Remember, your main floor is held up by aluminum tubes that are welded and these welds may or may not be welded correctly. And subject to that much water sloshing might fail. Just wish they made baffled tanks.

One option I have is bringing a collapsible water bladders in the bed of the truck and then fill up at camp for those boondocking trips.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast