User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Curious how others get advance weather information while traveling. We dodged a bullet last night by happenstance and it made us think. Thursday night we stayed in Marion, AR on our way south. We already had plans to stay last night (Friday) near Alexander City, AL. Knowing the forecast for the day was going to bring potentially severe weather last night, we did get on the road and to our destination in AL by 4:00PM. You may have heard of the terrible storms that went through AR, TN, and Kentucky.

Here's my challenge. We became aware of the severe weather potential on Wednesday when my Dad inquired as to exactly where we were staying the next couple of nights. He told us about the large threat window. On Thursday while in AR I used the antenna to search local stations to watch the news but it didn't pull any in. So, we relied on phone apps like The Weather Channel. The problem I am having is that I cannot get a radar or forecast that goes out a few days while on the road like I would at home. At home, the local stations will show the 7 day forecast high level, and show a radar of what's expected over the next 24-36 hours or so. While on the road, if we want to adjust our travel plans due to weather, we need to know with a bit of detail more than 6 hours in advance. But how do you do that if you cannot rely on local stations? We're in AL now, and on our TV I can put in the zip code, scan for channels, and I'm not seeing any local stations with news coverage. What gives? How do you all plan travel around weather? Or don't you?
    In addition to the weather apps on our phones and local TV/radio, we also use a portable Midland emergency weather radio [HH54VP].

This model is handy when traveling as it will find your local NOAA broadcast when set to travel mode.
    Brad & Jeanette
    2020 Solitude 373FB
    2016 F350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 DRW 6.7 Power Stroke V8 Crew Cab BW Companion 3300 Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I always tell people that if you plan to rely on a weather, radio that you need to familiarize yourself with the local geography. How often do you know the county you are camping in or the surrounding county names? The NWS warnings will say something like "Residents of eastern Adair County and western Russell County should take cover now." but do you want to be trying to find a county map with a possible tornado or severe thunderstorm bearing down on you?
    This is a wonderful point. I enjoy geography so I usually have an idea where some towns and landmarks are relative to where I am. At the very least, if the alert is going off on the station I've tuned it's close enough that I need to pay attention and take precautions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Get the Windy app. Used by long haulers and full-timers alike.
    Windy is my favorite and its free.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of weather, I hope everyone avoided the 100+ MPH winds in Colorado this week. News is reporting many overturned Semi trucks but I haven't seen any reports on RVs. Pray everyone is safe! This has been one of biggest concerns with DRV...if wind can blow over an 18 wheeler, then DRV vs. SRV seems to become a non-discussion. In any case, hope all is well!
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Weather Channel app , MyRadar app (paid for high res radar), Windy and have a battery powered weather radio.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2400
    2019 F150 XLT 4x4, 3.5 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I check various weather sources that are available before departure. If no cell or wifi, then either local TV or a small weather radio. My favorite web site is windy.com. Very accurate showing wind speed and direction of my trip.
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride 3P #1400
    2024 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Shortbed, 4110 payload.
    6.7 Diesel, Ult Lariat, 5th wheel prep, Block heater, iconic Silver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I always tell people that if you plan to rely on a weather, radio that you need to familiarize yourself with the local geography. How often do you know the county you are camping in or the surrounding county names? The NWS warnings will say something like "Residents of eastern Adair County and western Russell County should take cover now." but do you want to be trying to find a county map with a possible tornado or severe thunderstorm bearing down on you?
    John, you are absolutely correct. This summer got emergency notification on phone for severe weather and possible tornadoes but I had no clue what county in Louisiana I was in. I turned to google maps and wrote “counties” in search bar. It gives you markers of all counties around you, click on a marker and it will give you the county borders.

I use MyRadar, Windy, weather bug and the Red Cross tornado app for notifications.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to second the Radarscope app for the phone, as well as Windfinder. The wife and I fly stunt kites all over the US, and finding good wind and sunny (no storms) weather makes for excellent kiting. And, since we have been traveling in the RV, we have found that those two apps can show us what the weather is like all along our planned route. We have been trying "Drive Weather" but still rely on the kiting apps for accurate weather views.

Mark
    Mark and Rebecca
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited CrewCab 8 Ft. Bed 6.7 HO 4wd B&W Companion Hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123