User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nylocks will loosen under vibration. I see it all the time on boats that I work on. They need lock washers
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Nylocks will loosen under vibration. I see it all the time on boats that I work on. They need lock washers
    In this application a lockwasher will do no good because the clamping pressure is not constant due to the flexing of the fixture. Either a Nylock or Stover lock nut is needed.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a model number(s) that this applies to?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been running a set of the Firestone 5000's since 2007 when I bought the GMC truck and had the dealership install as part of the deal.. I have had ZERO ISSUES with the 5000's and the on board air pump and gouge...

Even of these fell off the truck while towing it isn't gonna cause some catastrophic event to occur.... The truck is just gonna squat some - if you are that overloaded in the first place...

This is an excellent product and I would purchase again and highly recommend it for that need a bit of load leveling ...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    I have been running a set of the Firestone 5000's since 2007 when I bought the GMC truck and had the dealership install as part of the deal.. I have had ZERO ISSUES with the 5000's and the on board air pump and gouge...

Even of these fell off the truck while towing it isn't gonna cause some catastrophic event to occur.... The truck is just gonna squat some - if you are that overloaded in the first place...

This is an excellent product and I would purchase again and highly recommend it for that need a bit of load leveling ...
    There are two problems to consider if the air bags were to move.

First .. if part of any hardware gets lodged in the shocks/springs causing failure of such ..

second getting caught into the moving parts of the wheel causing a "JAM" of the tires.

To address the part where you say you can still operate without use of the airbags.... you are correct. When i first got my 40' Montana ( sold) i was so concerned with towing (first time with a 5th wheel) that i FORGOT to inflate the air bags past the 5lb resting mode.

I will again say the AirLift company is reliable. They made good on the missing bracket. I only wish i would have known about the problem so i could have addressed it sooner. Like by a simple letter from the company addressng the need for the hardware change and to check tightness accordingly.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work on boats and off road vehicles and have never seen a Nylock vibrate loose.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OshawaDave View Post
    Your post is very timley - thnak you. Is the update specific to Ford?

I'm about to order a Airlift 5000 kit through a local truck upfitter (they'll install as well) for my GMC.
    I installed my Airlift 5000 Ultimate Plus with On board compressor 3 years ago on my 2013 F150. I used the braided steel lines to the bags with T splitters for manual schrader valve and compressor airlines fill incase of compressor failure.

Because the supplied stainless lines are not long enough and only run to the bags, had to also use several feet of plastic lines as well. On the plastic lines i purchased some braided hose with inner diameter large enough to place the plastic lines inside to protect against road debri. Too many years of running air lockers on my jeep and having lines torn off while wheeling. Also keep several feet of extra plastic line in the truck just incase for quick fixes.

As for the Airlift system, I check it occasionally when doing axle/TC fluid and brake inspections. Never had any issues with loose mounting hardware on the brackets, compressor, or lines. I used the supplied nuts and washers and torqued them probably tighter than what the instructions mentioned.

The only real issue I have had is the metal heat shield that gets clamped on the exhaust to protect the right side bag from exhaust heat. Over time, this will rust off and start to rattle. Replaced it with some small guage stainless steel that I cut myself and reused the line clamps.

As for keeping lines away from heat and moving parts, ZIP TIES are your friend. Stragically used on the frame away from trouble spots when securing air lines. That and using braided steel line cover/protectors or SS lines kept my sytem from failure for the last 13k miles and 3 years.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failures while on the road are my worst fear. If you are off the beaten path there is little help or parts availability.

Sorry to hear Timbren’s passive solution could not resolve your situation. https://timbren.com/i-30497683-timbr...-rear-kit.html
    Last edited by bjlakatos; 03-05-2022 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
    Failures while on the road are my worst fear. If you are off the beaten path there is little help or parts availability.

Sorry to hear Timbren’s passive solution could not resolve your situation. https://timbren.com/i-30497683-timbr...-rear-kit.html
    Timbrens work great and require no maintenance. Every once in a while I check to see if the bolts are loose and that they look OK. So far no problems.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12