User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annual Bearing Repack & Discovered Bad Bearing

Was going through our annual bearing repack and found an inner bad bearing. A big chunk missing out of the front of the roller cage, but the cage is still intact, that's odd. The rollers look good, the race looks good, no gouging, scrapping, pitting, where did the chunk of the cage go, how odd? Well that's why you remove the bearings for inspection.

No problem, I have a spare set of Timken bearings in my stash. Took the new Timken bearings out of the packages, unwrapped them and oops, no race! Dog gone it, I wasn't paying attention when I ordered, and got spare bearings without races. Well crap! New Timken races are available, 25520 and 14276. I'll just have to wait till they arrive. Put the wheel back together and wait till I have all the parts to replace. New packed bearings inner, outer and new races and seal, flush and wipe out the drum cavity to make sure no pieces are left inside. Good to go.

Don't do what I did, verify your new bearings come with races.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-23-2022 at 10:51 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found it at home and not because of an issue while on the road. This is a perfect example why a manual repack and inspection is the way to go vice pumping in some grease and hoping for the best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree check those bearings. Just got ours back from inspection and repack. First time for our 2020 Solitude. Am I glad we took it in. Dexter axles and two of the wheels had grease on the brake pads. One inner bearing race had a gouge in it and had a flat spot. Appeared to have been installed wrong from the factory. I really think we dodged a bullet and wheel failure. I've never pumped grease into the Ezi lube so was very surprised to see grease on the brake pads. I bought an extra set of bearings for an emergency. I think I might just purchase a hub assembly to have. I took our Solitude to a trailer dealer who sells horse trailers and commercial trailers. Thats all they work on. About one third the price of the RV dealer for service and a one day turn around. I liked to have choked when I called our RV dealer. They wanted $550 plus parts to repack the bearings. A friend suggested the trailer dealer after I was inclined to do it myself. Bearing repack, new seals, replace one set of bearings and brake pads $327. I'm happy.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That pretty much helps support my theory that many bearing issues came from improper assembly, and the best thing you can do is inspect, or have inspected, the wheels/bearings immediately after delivery. Once done right, they should be good for several years.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5327.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	39590
    I will chime in here as well. I remove/replace my bearings on the Dexter 12mo/12kmi schedule for many years.

On the last change, I was surprised to find one outer bearing with pitted rollers. I did a bit of investigating, this particular bearing came from a local trailer shop and had different markings from the others I had purchased from Etrailer. Of all the years I have been doing this I have never seen one worn this bad in only 12mo/12kmi.

Underscores the point of annual inspections are a must! You guys that have had bearing failures on the road know that this was a problem waiting to happen. My guess it would have been in the next 5k mi it would have failed.
    Last edited by bjlakatos; 03-24-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Was going through our annual bearing repack and found an inner bad bearing. A big chunk missing out of the front of the roller cage, but the cage is still intact, that's odd. The rollers look good, the race looks good, no gouging, scrapping, pitting, where did the chunk of the cage go, how odd? Well that's why you remove the bearings for inspection.

No problem, I have a spare set of Timken bearings in my stash. Took the new Timken bearings out of the packages, unwrapped them and oops, no race! Dog gone it, I wasn't paying attention when I ordered, and got spare bearings without races. Well crap! New Timken races are available, 25520 and 14276. I'll just have to wait till they arrive. Put the wheel back together and wait till I have all the parts to replace. New packed bearings inner, outer and new races and seal, flush and wipe out the drum cavity to make sure no pieces are left inside. Good to go.

Don't do what I did, verify your new bearings come with races.
    Consider buying Timken bearings in the sets. I believe they are less expensive this way.

As example:

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET17-...s%2C100&sr=8-1
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Consider buying Timken bearings in the sets. I believe they are less expensive this way.

As example:

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET17-...s%2C100&sr=8-1
    Does anyone know what bearing set is used for the Dexter 5200 lb axles?
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a photo of your axle sticker and email it to [email protected] and request an axle data sheet. You should have it back in a couple of hours.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replacement Bearing Kit For a 2021 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS With Dexter 5,200LB Axles
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-577638.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5327.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	39590
    I will chime in here as well. I remove/replace my bearings on the Dexter 12mo/12kmi schedule for many years.

On the last change, I was surprised to find one outer bearing with pitted rollers. I did a bit of investigating, this particular bearing came from a local trailer shop and had different markings from the others I had purchased from Etrailer. Of all the years I have been doing this I have never seen one worn this bad in only 12mo/12kmi.

Underscores the point of annual inspections are a must! You guys that have had bearing failures on the road know that this was a problem waiting to happen. My guess it would have been in the next 5k mi it would have failed.
    Wow that is a lot of pitting!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast