Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30 Vs 50 Amp

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    Found this thread while seeking info on 30 vs 50 amp...we are currently camping and are having power issues with the 50 amp connection at our site. EMS kicking out regularly. Showing as low as 98 volts on one leg at one point. So I adapted to 30 amp and plugged into that. Worked ok Friday, then voltage dropped and EMS started kicking out. Campground maintenance comes out and their solution is to plug into my neighbors's pedestal on 30 amp (neighbor is using 50 amp) and they would do a permanent fix after the holiday weekend (we're here for the month). Worked for several hours then voltage dropped again and EMS kicking out. Problem lets up in the evening through early morning then voltage drops again. Called maintenance again yesterday and, well, they never showed up.

My panel looks as thought half of the trailer is on one leg and half on the other. The 50 amp breaker is in the middle and there are breakers above and below it, but there are 2 breakers for the fridge...one on one side and one on the other. Soooo, my question is, when I am working on 30 amp using an adapter, how does this power those two sides? Am I limited to 15 amps per side? My EMS shows draw on both legs occasionally while on this 30 amp setup.

Thanks in advance for taking time out of your holiday weekend!
    When using a 30A to 50A adapter, the 30A is connected to both sides of the 50A service in your trailer, so you can use 30A total between the legs. 30A on one leg and 0A on the other, 15 and 15 or however you divide it.

Your original problem is inadequate service in the campground most likely. It shows up during the day in hot weather when everyone is running their air conditioners and then eases off as the weather cools.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    When using a 30A to 50A adapter, the 30A is connected to both sides of the 50A service in your trailer, so you can use 30A total between the legs. 30A on one leg and 0A on the other, 15 and 15 or however you divide it.

Your original problem is inadequate service in the campground most likely. It shows up during the day in hot weather when everyone is running their air conditioners and then eases off as the weather cools.
    Thank you! So am i correct in assuming that overriding my EMS could do damage to my a/c unit? I am monitoring amp usage but it seems as soon as the a/c fires up the voltage drops to the point that the ems shuts the power down.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that your EMS is doing its job protecting your system from low voltage. Running the AC on low voltage is a recipe for expensive damage to the unit. Your best bet is to run a big generator if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you disable something that is intended to protect your equipment. It's telling you there is a power issue. it is a campground issue. There are too many site drawing on one circuit.
    Any device that is an inductive load can e damaged by low voltage.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    Thank you! So am i correct in assuming that overriding my EMS could do damage to my a/c unit? I am monitoring amp usage but it seems as soon as the a/c fires up the voltage drops to the point that the ems shuts the power down.
    If the voltage is good at your pedestal, it could be as simple as bad wiring. Is your EMS plugged into the pedestal or hardwired?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct that there are 2 separate 120v 50 amp source when connected to a 50 amp outlet.

Your RV does not have anything that runs on 240 volts. Everything from the breaker panel tuns on 120 volts.

When connected to a 30 amp 120v TT-30 RV outlet with a dog one splitter the same 120v 30 amp source is fed by the dogbone to BOTH legs on you your RV panel’s 50 amp breaker.

On 30 amp with your dogbone adapter you have a total of 30 amps available, not limited to 15 amps per side. You can have for example 25 amps on one side and 5 amps on the other side and not trip the pedestal breaker.

When on a 30 amp RV outlet you have 1x30x120=3600 watts available. When on a 50 amp 120/240v RV outlet you have 2x50x120=12,000 watts available.

Sounds like there’s a wiring issue with the campground. When everyone is running their AC units the campground wiring can’t handle it and voltage drops. I have a Hughes Autoformer that I use in those situations. It will boost voltage to my RV up to 10% when needed. https://tweetys.com/hughes-autoforme...-included.aspx
    Last edited by Jerryr; 07-03-2022 at 09:55 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No electrician here, but I believe it's 180 degrees apart, not 120.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    If the voltage is good at your pedestal, it could be as simple as bad wiring. Is your EMS plugged into the pedestal or hardwired?
    Thank you all for your help. I struggle to understand electrical stuff, but this has been a learning trip for me. We are here for the whole month. Campground is on it. Had an electrician here today. I'm going to start a new post to avoid hijacking this one.
    Last edited by McDugals; 07-11-2022 at 01:54 PM.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123